Mantic Points free miniatures

I was counting up those precious Mantic Points, and lo and be bold, i have 25 of the little gems all ready and eager to be spent.
However, none of the KoW models available jump out at me for my Goblin or Northern Alliance armies.
Last time, i got the Dungeon Saga Innkeep set, and converted Blaine into a suitable Northern Alliance Skald/hero/barbarian figure by a little head changing ect. I tried converting the halfling warrior into a Goblin, without much success, so in the end made it into a young girl warrior and used her and the Innkeep to decorate a scenic terrain piece iā€™d built.
All three were usable models.

I could get the Orc Shaman for 25 points, (not that i am short of Orc Shaman miniaturesā€¦) but the photos arenā€™t selling me on the model. Is it any good?
The Liche King Diarama looks temptingā€¦ as a diarama piece, and as luck would have it, i ended up with 4 Myrmourn Banshees i have no use for, that i could throw into the diarama.

Or Maybe get Ronaldo the bard to use as a token for the Lute of Insatiable Darkness
or The Thinking Elf or the Dwarf Priest.
Which are your favourite miniatures and which are best avoided?

2 Likes

Hi @Nav. I hear ya, decisions decisions.

I got Ronaldo myself a while ago to use in Vanguard for the ā€œkill the bard scenarioā€. I really like the look but itā€™s a very fragile Miniature. The top part of the lute was already snapped clean off when it arrived and is tricky to glue back on as there is very little contact surface. Furthermore ā€¦ applying a little pressure when gluing it to the base I even managed to bend the leg, which had another unexpected weak spot and now threathens to snap off ā€¦

ā€¦ so yeah I like the look of the mini, but be prepared to use greenstuff as extra support when you assemble it and always handle that mini with extra care.

The other mini I got was that Elven mage, but the had a similiar issue with the top of the staff being broken off on arrivial. Maybe itā€™s just something with the very early mantic metal minis that you have to plan for :wink:

1 Like

good to know Mikes, thanks.

1 Like

No problem @Nav :slight_smile: And donā€™t take me wrong. Those are nice miniatures and I like them on my display shelf ā€¦ Iā€™m just not sure I would take them anywhere else, to a tournament or even to a friend for example, as I highly doubt they would survive transportation and/or prolonged play intact.

1 Like

Iā€™ve raided the Mantic points several times. I also got Blaine (twice) to use as the leader for 2 of my regiments and have got the undead dog handler (twice) for my Undead Deathpacks. The Liche King is a great model, as is Jzik the Dwarf Priest.
If you want something really different, how about getting Coach Renton, give him a sword or a standard and use as a hero in your NA army?

2 Likes

For an NA army ā€¦ while itā€™s not Mantic points, Iā€™d also recommend two of the Dungeon Saga models.

The Barbarian from the base game (Both the normal or legendary version, depending on how much skin you want to be visible.)
and the guy from the ā€œZorn der BlutkrƤhen (German) / Wrath of the Blood Crowsā€ Mini expansion.

The later even has a spear that pretty much looks like an Ice Spear, if painted right:

Dungeon Saga: Dwarf Kingā€™s Quest ā€“ Der Zorn der BlutkrƤhen Promo | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

1 Like

Have picked up the dog/barman/Blaine set recently, although havenā€™t done anything with it.

Got the undead standard bearer as a freebie at an event some years ago - painted it up and its OK, but wouldnā€™t say it was anything really great.

The lich king looks nice and there is a mutant thing with rat swarms that could be fun.

Do wish the mantic points could be used for sprues, bits or just a random grab-bag of miscasts etc

1 Like

Ronaldo the Bard ā€˜inspiringā€™ my Tortured Souls. If you had to listen to him sing for eternity, youā€™d be tortured too!

4 Likes

@KoshtraBelorn, thanks. i like the Coach Renton idea, thinking outside of the box. i have a Norse and an Orc Bloodbowl team, and had considered getting coach models for them.

@Mikes I am currently using one of my Bloodbowl Norse miniatures as Orlaf the Barbarian, but would be tempted to buy the Legendary Heroes of Dungeon Sage to get the actual model and the Madriga Elven Ranger to use as an Ice Kin Master Hunter.

1 Like

iā€™d also been tempted by the Rat swarmsā€¦ could make a cool diaramaā€¦ maybe with the Ratkin Crone Mother.

Great idea for the random sprue miscasts

@KoshtraBelorn ā€œThank you thank you thank youā€¦youā€™re too kind! This next number is one about a truck driver whose wife ran off with his girlfriend, and whose dog died after choking on the gerbil ā€¦ā€

1 Like

@Nav , one thing about the Legendary Dungeon Saga Heroes though, they tend to be just a tad larger than the normal Kings of War models. So the normal Orlaf version might be a better fit, even though his armor isnā€™t quite as cool.

1 Like

Is there a way to quickly see everything that you can get with Mantic Points btw? I just searched the store for ā€œmantic pointsā€ which was useful, but I wasnā€™t sure if that was everything?

1 Like

@Mikes The original Orlaf is not bad, but iā€™d prefer the legendary on. However, when it comes to the elf ranger figureā€¦ no contest at all. The second one is way cooler, Looking at a blog which had them side by side, they didnā€™t look that much bigger, although it did say that the dwarf was almost human 28mm sizeā€¦

1 Like

i think a search for Mantic points brings them all up, but if you go to Store then All products and select mantic points from there, you get a drop down menu to help selection.

1 Like

Nice one! Thank you :smiley:

1 Like

Iā€™m in the same boat, saved up enough to get the named Necromancer model, (which is absolutely gorgeous). Not much else jumps out at me.

Hope they add more things to it as time goes on. It is a great idea.

1 Like

I wish they would put things on there worth getting.

2 Likes

Diggin out an old post! :wink:

Is it even possible to use those points, being in Germany? :thinking:

1 Like