Mantic price increase

Ireland is also perfect for this, English is a first language, and it shares a border with the UK.

Speaking as an English man who lives in Ireland and voted remain, I am deeply embarrassed/ashamed that the UK was silly enough to go ahead with Brexit.

5 Likes

so the only ones happy about it are GW because they can enforce their ā€œno UK prices for people outside the UKā€ policy to EU

a small gaming hub for all the smaller companies, in Ireland or France would be nice (not Germany though, their currier services are bad and too expensive for that)

Or a Mantic HQ on the Continent. OsnabrĆ¼ck maybe? No personal interest here what so everā€¦:wink:

3 Likes

better Vienna or Grazā€¦

1 Like

Noonooo @KptKeno , it definitely would have to be in Bavaria, Nuremburg for example ā€¦ also no personal interest at all :innocent: :grinning: :laughing:

1 Like

I find it all terribly sad to be honest Stonehorse.

In my work life - cloud computing - Iā€™ve seen hundreds of millions - and future revenues in the billions evaporating from the UK over the past four years. Iā€™ve seen my whole sector reoriented away from the UK to other EU countries. Business and personnel relationships built up over decades wiped out in months. This has effected everything from MNC site location plans due EU data rules though to the whole UK engineering service and therefore manufacturing sector hobbled due to import difficulties, JIT supply disruptions and visa and skills recognition for key workers. This is one sector ā€¦ the damage is immense.

For gaming I could cry. The EU gaming giant was the UK. Their whole market has now fragmented from one giant rich completely free boarder market into 27 or so major to minor markets all with their own rules that need to be adhered to. For many companies the paper work alone is going to make export nearly impossible.

Major distribution from the likes of North Star Games for a multitude of minor companies was handled from the UK. I actually fear for the long term future of many small and niche companies now as their major market erodes.

The problems run deep. How will Mantics stuff be treated in the future? It is produced in the Far East. Will it be classed as a UK or Chinese origin import into the EU Single Market? What if a trade war hots up over Northern Ireland? In many ways we are only seeing Brexit problems starting for the UK gaming industry and gaming lovers throughout Europe.

8 Likes

I will finance a warehouse myself on the east coast of Ireland to handle this issue.

Just have to re-mortgage the house a few times first. Oh ā€¦ and go to college to learn about distribution supply chains and customs laws. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I havenā€™t ordered from the UK since Brexit, and I used to once or twice every two months. The Netherlands is close by, and it was just easy and practical to order from UK stores and manufacturers.

Now tho, Iā€™m paying VAT in the UK in a lot of places, then paying extra for shipping, then paying VAT here, and import costs, also it takes longer. If the package doesnā€™t get lost in the mess that is post-Brexit shippingā€¦ and all in the name of ā€œsovereigntyā€ or whatever. Such a waste.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s an example of presenting numbers in a misleading way. A increase on a small number will be a disproportionate percentage, that doesnā€™t make the actual number any bigger just sound bigger.

ā‚¬2.50 is not a great deal of increase, it looks like a reasonable next notch to me.

itā€™s not all going to be down to brexit, I notice some of the largest price rises are on metal models and in the past 12 months there has been an increase of over 35% on raw materials, so it was bound to kick in eventually.

Have I mentioned how great the northern Ireland protocol is and that we can order from the UK and EU freely?

Apart from the inevitable deaths that I expect to start from next year Iā€™m 100% happy with it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not sure how me saying a model going from ā‚¬9.99 to ā‚¬12.50, which is a 25% increase is misleading.

Model was ā‚¬9.99, letā€™s be generous and round up to ā‚¬10. Now 25% of ā‚¬10 is ā‚¬2.50. Which is the models new price, ā‚¬12.50.

That isnā€™t misleading, that is what has happened. Not everything has increased by that extent, but I never made the claim that they had. This is the one that caught my eye as it was something I bought before the price increase.

@Niall78, nah the West of Ireland is far better, far fewer people, more open spaces :wink: also land is very cheap.

3 Likes

Oof, I was avoiding those for being expensive already.

Sure, but going on to say something like this is:

Using the percentage rather than the small actual number makes it sound like a bigger deal than it is.

I think we are seeing problems coming from many angles at the moment.

Completely disregarding Brexit with all its issues as you say commodities like metal have gone up massively. Thatā€™s if you can get your hands on the metal with the problems in the global supply chain and the massively increased costs in container transport.

2 Likes

Because saying ā‚¬2.50 doesnā€™t give enough context on the original price. A ā‚¬2.50 increase on something that cost ā‚¬1,000 seems small, on an item that was ā‚¬2 is massive. Saying the financial amount doesnā€™t give enough insight or detail.

Where as a percentage gives more insight into it. ā‚¬2.50 by itself isnā€™t large, but that is seeing it in a vacuum.

I understand the reason Mantic have been forced into this, (price of raw material increasing, Brexit, Covid, etc), that understanding however doesnā€™t inoculate me from being surprised.

1 Like

They werenā€™t cheap for what they were in any case before the 25% price increase.

1 Like

thing is a lot other boxes increased also by 2,5ā‚¬ so it is not a general 25% raise but more a general 2,5ā‚¬ raise that affects smaller boxes more

like Skeleton Horde went from 39,99 to 42,5

1 Like

Never said it was a general 25% increase.

2 Likes

Yes, Mantic is v often great value, but that tends not to be the case for single metal KoW characters. IMO they tend to be something you could kitbash out of a plastic sprue.

2 Likes

This was worth a listen, and made me appreciate why resin figures might cost what they do (skipped it first time round, much more interesting than I thought).

2 Likes