NA ravens & new plastic infantry

So mantic have now released some info about the Northern Alliance and some sweet looking new plastic kits for Ice Kin/Berserkers and a raven rider kit.

They’ve binned the huscarl concept - so its a limited upgrade to the rebranded clansmen with some extra bits

9 Likes

Looking forwardto seeing more of this. My Northern Alliance was my first Kings of War armies. Ironically, today I received my Viking Starter set from Warlord Games which will be built to use on Hail Caesar and Historic KoW and/or Northern Alliance /Varangur.
The Ravens would be a great addition to NA, who lack many options for a flying model, apart from the over expensive Lord on Chimera.
I had considered upgrading my NA army with more Human Clansmen with bows or two handed weapons, but couldn’t find a good purchase possibility. a week later they’ve changed the NA with some new/recreated set options that are , sadly a week too late.

3 Likes

I like that they’re eliminating the redundancy in the human infantry.

No word nor sight of snow trolls or frostfangs though.
Both of those badly need some extra variety.

5 Likes

The snow trolls certainly need the plastic kit.

Frostfang are a resin sculpt so might potentially get some love through the vault at some point, but its the pvc stuff they seem to be clearing out?

4 Likes

As a Sylvan Kin player, I’m stoked to see some decent Mantic minis that I could use as Gladestalkers or Boskwraiths.

3 Likes

They do look interesting. I like the Ravens but am not yet sure about the riders. But it looks like these will be easily converted with other riders.

By the way:
Shout out to Mantic for the Ambush Starter Sets, just opened the one for the Nightstalkers and it´s great. Espeacilly love the quick start guide. This will be an awesome tool to get new Players in.

4 Likes

I’m all onboard with that @Findol ! These might make some nifty Gladestalkers when painted up differently …

… I am on the fence for only one reason however: If they bring out “real Elf” Gladestalkers later this year or next year I would rather wait and paint up something else instead until then … mhfp. … maybe just one Regiment? … It’s tempting! :grin:

4 Likes

These releases are fantastic!
Which leads me to a similar problem, if Mantic are going to keep putting out stuff like this I will need my hobby budget and bandwidth for Twilight-Kin and dwarfs soon.

4 Likes

Interesting changes for Northern Alliance Northern Alliance Design Notes With Kyle - YouTube

6 Likes

Birdy stats, me3 tribesmen and an NA dwarf rule (which will be widened out in Clash book)

6 Likes

Link to the Video:

5 Likes

I do wonder how this is going to affect Varangur players.

3 Likes

Loving the NA redux. I’ve got a long planned NA army in the wings and this is giving me more and more ideas and motivation to finally get moving on it. I also appreciate how many things are optional, like shooting on the ravens, as it greatly opens up modeling opportunities.

Do we know if we have to wait until Clash for these rules to take effect? Or are they squeaking out ala NS, just maybe not cemented until COK?

3 Likes

The tribesmen change will no doubt filter down in Clash book - with Bloodbound keyword, rather than the frozen option?

2 Likes

Think they will do the NA update via Companion on release date as per NS - then follow up the trickle down stuff with Clash

3 Likes

Ordered march is interesting.
It would definitely make dwarf infantry easier to play.

It is getting to be a lot of special mechanics or exceptions though.

It also makes it a more useful unit to have in the list, because one have some degree of customisation to the role it’s filling in the list.

3 Likes

A lot more NA updates appeared on the Mantic blog recently: Northern Alliance Tactics - Mantic Games

Here are the raw statblock updates:

There are apparently still more updates to the army to come (in a handy downloadable format soon)! And we can look forward to sweeping changes to standard bearer heroes in the next Clash, which is extra nice.

5 Likes

The new NA plastics are so good I can’t recommend them enough. I’m going to make ice elves that can be NA or elves, and am going to put elves on the ravens too so they can be frostclaws or drakon riders. and to annoy Ronnie by removing his beloved dwarfs.

6 Likes

it’s always good to have a plan :slight_smile:

1 Like

there’s a first time for everything

2 Likes