Nav's Tuatha De Danann Mythological War Host: The Herd

@Nav isn’t allowed elite infantry :wink:

2 Likes

Na Fianna would be stretching the time frame a bit… wait a minute! Elite Infantry…of course. Such as Heroes of the Tuathu De Danaan. You can’t get more elite than Lugh Lamfada , Nuada Silver-hand, although he is likely to be my Chieftain,
These come on 40mm bases, and are 28mm heroic scale, so should work nicely, although Eriu the goddess looks almost giantlike, so might be Monster/Titan ? i’ll have to wait and see

1 Like

if you are willing to branch out to other Celtic cultures and not purely irish, the Welsh Tale of Taliesin includes a whole sequence (the Cad Goddeu) with animated forests fighting a battle for the magician Gwydion. Gwydion also appears in the Welsh Mabinogion

1 Like

@MithrilCoyote thanks a million, that’s great to know. i know of the De Danann being able to fly, use wind magic, water magic and fire magic, so earth magic seems logical, but i havent found any walking trees, as yet. They appeared to be a Tolkien invention, but maybe i just was looking in the wrong places.

1 Like

the Ents and huorns certainly were a tolkien invention. according to his own letters, he was inspired by stuff like Cad Goddeu and the greenman myths, but mostly by his disappointment that “when birnam wood come to dunsinane” in Macbeth was just an army hiding in the forest and not the actual forest uprooting itself and attacking the castle.
though his original versions were more giant like and less treeish.

honestly your best bet might be to do full proxies… Formorians or something that fit the size of the figures and then base and paint them with a suitably forest like theme.

1 Like

That suggestion makes a lot of sense @MithrilCoyote, thanks. The Formorians would be the closest match to the Herd, for sure, but where is the challenge in that :slight_smile: I envision a retelling of ancient sagas on the battlefield, reliving the Book of Invasions, and the First Battle of Moy Tura, where the newly landed Tuathu De Danann defeat the Fir Bolg, or the second, were they eventually win out over the evil Formorians, ( a good theme for our Herd vs Herd battle perhaps @Stonehorse) after the death of King Nuada Silver hand by the foul magic of Balor One-Eye, who is slain by Lugh Lamfada. Or relive the coming of the Sons of Mil and the Tuatha De Danann’s decent into the Otherworld or The Cattle Raid of Cooley . One of the great things about Kings of War is its flexibility. Our imaginations are given relative free rein. So, although i will try as much as possible to fit my square peg into the round hole of The Herd army, if it means i lose out on a unit as they don’t fit my vision, then so be it, but i’ll gnaw at the vision first, to see if i can make it fit.

Great unit! I particularly like how you’ve arranged the boars, very dynamic.

1 Like

many thanks @MarkG. i’m working on some wolves at the moment, and again, i’m aiming for fluidity and natural order rathen than just rank and file, so they appear at one with the world around them.

A pack of wolves, (Gur Panthers or Lycans for my Celtic Herd host.

I’ve also thought up a good base concept for my first unit of Celtic warriors, it’ll be at a point where all good fights and single combats were held… The ford of a river marking the edge of your territory

4 Likes

Banshees.: -technically, troop of Harpies, for my Celtic Herd host. I’m not sure if be able to fit minimum model count on the base, let alone a full complement of ten models, so hopefully the rule of cool will suffice. I’ll get another four at some point and squeeze them on the base. Meanwhile…The rest of the troop are still in their graves, so better run away now before it’s too late!..

5 Likes

The Goddess Morrigan, for my Celtic Herd Army

Technically, the model is Eriu from Jim Fitzpatrick artwork, but Morrigan is more of a badass…being a nature goddesss AND The Goddess of War, so i threw in a couple of crows, some beasties and a different paint pallet and that should do the job.

A second heavier wash of Agrax is finally picking up the knotwork and details, but ill need to drybrush the raised areas and highlight yet…once dried. Thanks again to @Muakhah for the suggestion.

I was stuck what to use her as within the Herd, but after his helpful advice, i will field her as Moonfang. She is,after all, renowned as a Shapeshifter, and gives Inspiring presence and Vicious to those around her, to say nothing of her own combat abilities or her godly regeneration.

7 Likes

Run her as the special character Moonfang. That way she will be a fast combat large infantry with regeneration that is suitable as a goddess. But also inspiring and with an ability that makes other units vicious if they are attacking the same unit as her. Sounds like a good fit for Morrigan to me.

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

That, is a stroke of pure genius, @Muakhah, thanks a million. Morrigan is renowned as a shapeshifter, so no issues there.

3 Likes

test batch of 'painted ’ warriors, with 5 of my first 25 warriora, however, i don’t think the wash has fully dried before i started… the colour scheme is based on the social ranks of celtic Brehon laws, where each additional colour signifies greater status, so the King wears seven colours, the druids/bards/brehons six. peasants wear undyed wool, off white, like the threws, basic warriors wear three colours, so white black and saffron yellow tunics ect.

My first batch of Spirit Walker Celtic fanatics ready to base, and some Tribal spearmen and Longhorns awaiting shield decals

7 Likes

6 Likes

Their shields are done

9 Likes

:grin::ok_hand: very nice. Very tidy work @Nav

1 Like

Many thanks @Kraygor

Just to be clear, i did not hand paint those colourful shields.
They are decals.
However, if you are anything like me, you might be a little nervous of using decals/or transfers as they were called when i was growing up.
i’ve never had much luck with the Games Workshop ones i tried for my Ork army, and usually gave up after they fell apart in my fingers, and that was before i had Parkinsons.
So i checked out some youtube tips before starting doing these ones.
The videos recommeded decal softener and adhesive to help.
I didn’t have any of these, so i tried without.
i did moisten the shield before adding the decal to reduce friction, and use a moist brush to maneouver the decal into place… i then brushed over the shield …lightly with PVA, This seemed to work a treat, adding adhesion and preventing bubbling ect as the decal slowly dried.
Saying that, the Hail Cesaer decals that came with the units from Warlord Games are slightly heavier, and more papery than the 40k ones, so maybe, i didn’t need to, but the videos seemed to think that people had struggled to affix the self same decals, so maybe the PVA wash was a stroke of genius.

2 Likes

The base for my Herd Spirit Walker horde… “Battle at the River Ford”…I still have to paint the rest of the unit.

9 Likes