Nightstalkers & Twilight Kin

So there is another slow-grow army challenge is the offing over on Facebook being run by Andy Burdis.

Based around the Ambush boxes and with the aim for people to get stuff going for Mantic’s campaign later in the year. He’s managed to get a nice discount for KoW stuff bought direct from mantic

So, as i hadn’t started a new army this year, and ive only got 30 infantry to finish my current one(!) I decided to get involved with a small (yeah, right :wink: ) army.

I’ve already used some of the new reaper models in my AD and these are nice, if fiddly, and liked the paint scheme I did, so plumped for Nightstalkers.

8 Likes

Found some spare warlord erehwon orcs in the bits box so started kitbashing some doppelgangers

5 Likes

Doppelganger regiment built.

For the reapers, I’m going to leave off the back spines, making them more streamlined and clearly different from the tormentors, which will have them. Plus it leaves plenty of them left over for potentially weird and wonderful fiend conversions!

8 Likes

Slowly building some scarecrows, mixing in a few leftover spares from mantic ghoul & zombie kits

5 Likes

Scarecrows are the best unit in the game.

Why?

Because they’re out-standing in their field. :smile:

7 Likes

Plus Stealthy and +1de over zombie regiments for 5 points (losing pt of nerve) isn’t bad either!

1 Like

WiP doppelgangers

5 Likes

4 Likes

First of the fiend conversions and butcher fleshtearer (gauntlet swap from old gw ogre kit fitted nicely)

4 Likes

The daemon disco has arrived

6 Likes

Build phase is getting somewhere!

Just off camera are the first scarecrow regiment.

While i do like the creepy hound things mantic sell, did like the look of the wargames atlantic harvesters. The ‘stabby bits’ mirror the fiends, and tormentors.

The bigger ones can be built in running pose for cavalry type efforts while the little ones can fill in for needlefang. Box is 5 lots of this sprue.

LGS (BIG in Bristol) is now a licenced vault printer so will get a few NS bits and pieces from them - Mindscreech(s) and the giant upgrade kit thing, whose name I’ve forgotten!

2 Likes

5 Likes

Next up - WGA harvesters as shadowhounds, gw nighthaunt chain rasps as phantoms and a kitbashed dreamhunter

4 Likes

First lot of butchers done.

Pair of banshees and a converted Esenyshra

4 Likes

I’m not knowledgeable enough to place the body, but the kitbash is looking good. Nighthaunt are hands down my favourite model range from GW.

Cheers. It’s a Shieldwolf shieldmaiden/ranger.

Next up on the weird and wonderful.

Mindflayers as horrors seemed a reasonable stand-in and Nolzur’s do a couple of options.

Screenshot_20230830-172936_Chrome

Going to get at least one of the mantic floating brains, but a beholder as an alternative variant look like a viable thing. Might switch out the eyeballs on the lowest set for claws etc. Again another Nolzur’s model.

Love the mantic void lurker and the big stompy giant thing is a runner from them. May look for something strange as terror

2 Likes

First lot of scarecrows painted.

5 Likes

Mixing in the zombies/ghouls really helps break up the monotony of the scarecrows. :+1:
The kits look like a straightforward kitbash.

2 Likes

The zombie leg/body connections are a bit bigger than the ghoul/scarecrow bits, but easy enough to trim down or fill out. Head joints need bit of trimming here and there.

3 Likes