Northern Alliance terrain

Spent the morning making grass flocking from moss and gravel from wood shavings, using an old herb grinder. Liberally coated the base with it, and will wait for it… and the pva water in the trough to dry before shaking off the excess

gravel and grass painted, and wall construction completed, but still needs to be painted

I decided to make the barbarian model a permanent fixture in the diarama, as it’d be no use having an innkeeper without some drunk loitering about

2 Likes

i thought i’d add a start to finish on the Longhouse Tavern project, so this was how it started out as a humble printer toner box

, which i opened and stuck the two big flaps together to make a peak for the roof, then cut the shorter ends into gables. I ended up cutting in half as it was just too big.

Finally complete after a light flurry of snow so it matches the rest of my wintry Northern wastelands

Just when you think you have it fininshed, i realized that i was missing something… the eaves… Very distinct in a Nordic style longhouse. Alsi it squares off and tidies up the edges of the thatch. The banner needed moving to make it fit, but I always felt that the top of the hitching post with the bell was missing something… Now it’s a flagpole tooeavs

Final touch up painting done, bell and post ropes painted, flags in position over the new eaves and some decent light and a dark backdrop for contrast

2 Likes

My next project is to make this Gloomtide shipwreck model into a Viking longhouse similar to the one at Trellborg. first, I’ll have to rebuild the keel and the hull before building the planking to make it sort of shipshape, before flipping it over and building the walls of the house under it

Gloomtide shipwreck Viking Longhouse starting to take shape with hull roof beams in place side lean-to and doors framework in place and panelling started on one side, waiting for glue to dry before continuing further… Time to peel the glue off my fingers and call it a day.

3 Likes

i’m aiming for something like this, although with two eaved doorways in the sides, which seems a common designlonghouse

1 Like

one side done save the doors

1 Like

Really good stuff mate - great build work well executed

1 Like

Many thanks.

Basic construction completed, though I’m not sure about the bow yet. The base itself still needs work and some painting over the basic wash to weather the wood.

2 Likes

i had a lot of fun cutting and shaping the planking

2 Likes

I’ve done a darker wash on the keel ect but I’m not sure if I should just spray paint the whole thing dark green from above and then weather it then, to seal any cracks ect. I’m not happy with the finish so opted to spray base coat the model. i checked my dark greeen, and there wasn’t enough of it, so i’ve primed the whole thing in white as a base which should seal the little cracks where i’ve glued sticks together to make beamsfor keel and uprights, but won’t hide the planking. i’ll paint from there, trust my gut feeling and see where it takes me.

I’ve gone for Nurgle green for the planking, Caliban green for the beam work, and then a Orkskin wash over it all. I’ll probably give it a brown wash after to soak up a lot of the green from the woodwork.gree1

gree3

2 Likes

. Starting to get a good Oak planking look to it. Waiting for the brown wash to dry now

2 Likes

Dragon heads attached…very Skyrim Companions hall looking

2 Likes

Quick work! I’m far too slow.

Great wood effect on the hull - good use of washes.

1 Like