Possible Varangur changes

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the best place for this . While I really like the new Varangur, I thought I would outline what changes I would implement to the list of I was able to and see what others think. Note this is not criticism, just what I would change of I could.

1. In addition to making all units in the list evil, ensure that the units from the Northern Alliance master list receive the bloodbound keyword. This would allow the Magus transfusion ability work on Varangur infantry options from the NA master list.

2. For Mounted Sons of Korgaan, make the Guise of the Deceiver 20 pts for regiments, as it is far too cheap in its current form. Also maybe add fury to the unit for 5/10 points for troops/regiments so they are like their foot counterparts.

3. Perhaps give the Varangur Thegn, Skald and Lord horse options for 25/35 points, as unlike NA Varangur has good cavalry options. Maybe an aura ability for one of them also, perhaps Brutal.

4. Make the Thegn on Direfang inspiring for everyone, not just direfang riders.

5. Perhaps an option for duelist for the cursed son and/or Lord beyond the magic artifact.

Anyways these are my thoughts, anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks

Svechin

1 Like

I think this is a larger issue with Theme Lists not changing keywords on inherited units. This would be easy to fix and could have nice game effects, as well as being good and consistent to do. As for adding bloodbound to everything, I do think some of the inherited units should have gotten it. I don’t really think there’s a justification beyond not wanting to mess with Master List units too much. Not sure there’s a lore excuse or whatever.

Friendly reminder that in 2E every Mounted Son unit had Fury. It 100% feels like a problem now that every Mounted Son unit has Stealthy. Clearly there should be some choice involved.

Absolutely agree. How is there not a mounted Lord or Thegn at the least?? Especially as Mantic took the time to update their Master rules, so adding a pony would have been super easy.

Disagree, that’s part of the Lord on Frostfang’s thing. Frosthegn is an amazing unit already, partially due to low price, which would change if he full inspired as well.

I think this is a larger issue with Theme Lists not changing keywords on inherited units. This would be easy to fix and could have nice game effects, as well as being good and consistent to do. As for adding bloodbound to everything, I do think some of the inherited units should have gotten it. I don’t really think there’s a justification beyond not wanting to mess with Master List units too much. Not sure there’s a lore excuse or whatever.

I agree. Seems it was an oversight that really should be fixed in an FAQ.

Friendly reminder that in 2E every Mounted Son unit had Fury. It 100% feels like a problem now that every Mounted Son unit has Stealthy. Clearly there should be some choice involved.

True, but I would make the Fury integral to the unit rather than an option, in a similar way they did with Huscarls for NA and Varangur. With Stealthy being 20 pts for regiments, suddenly the Brutal option for 10 seems a lot more viable.

Absolutely agree. How is there not a mounted Lord or Thegn at the least?? Especially as Mantic took the time to update their Master rules, so adding a pony would have been super easy.

Yep, this would be especially easy, given they made separate sections for the Varangur Lord and Thegn to remove the NA only options. I wonder if it would be easier to add a horse option as a magical artifact for slightly more than average, which would allow some characters in armies that do not have access to horses to gain one for a steep price for model purposes.

Disagree, that’s part of the Lord on Frostfang’s thing. Frosthegn is an amazing unit already, partially due to low price, which would change if he full inspired as well.

Honestly, I have never used him, as the Lord on Frostfang to me seems the better option for the points. Mind you, I feel the same way on the Lord over the Thegn.

While I don’t have anything to add concerning the varang’s as I haven’t played them since 3rd ed; it’s good to give feedback to the RC about what works and what doesn’t.

This thread shows that they do read it and may use it in their considerations for the next Clash update.