Remy77077's Goblins (& Orcs!)

Sounds like some very good ideas there :smiley: Good to see another Goblin player!

Also a good idea! I thought about that as well. As I’ve not played any proper games yet I wasn’t sure how much use I’d really get out of them for that. But I definitely might do that one day :slight_smile:

this is a really good idea! I might have to steal it!
Also, your reply made me realise that the blaster is on a 100x50 base (chariot) instead of 50x50. This creates a lot more room for diorama.

For my war machines I found the limit of 50x50 a little on the small size.

1 Like

Yeah the Blaster base gives quite a lot more options to play around with.

Likewise! I was surprised it’s so small in KoW, But I guess they wanted a “standard” that fit the smallest Mantic models. But given the rules in the book for excess sized War Engine bases even gets a special diagram though, it seems they anticipate that will happen a fair bit.

Y ou’re welcome Vince. I’d love to see a photo when you’ve finished it.

1 Like

Hehe, it’s gonna go on my to-do list. :slight_smile: Also have that phoenix left to finish.

Gobz don’t have priority at this moment. The (dis)advantage of having multiple armies…

1 Like

New additions!

Imgur

For Monster March! :slight_smile: For KoW this guy isn’t too much use on his own, a Troll Bruiser maybe. But once he gets some friends later there is quite a bit he could be good for.

Another Sharpstick Thrower
Imgur

Alternative Fleabag Riders
Imgur

And a few random Orcs :slight_smile:
Imgur

6 Likes

In the last few weeks I got all the movement trays I wanted for KoW and magnetised all my bases for them…

Imgur

So I could finally put this whole army together in it’s current KoW configuration :slight_smile: (See the link in OP to explain that and the list).

Time for a KoW focused photoshoot of the whole lot of 'em:

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

7 Likes

Seeing your lot gave me a right nostalgic trip. Started WFB way back in the late 80’s to mid 90’s. So I remember fondly those army books and miniatures. If I still lived in Yorkshire (god’s own county), I’d be very happy to do battle with your lovely looking Orc & Goblins. Would make for a great game!

1 Like

Ah cheers @Stonehorse ! That’s a very similar timeline to me. Some of these models I actually started painting back in the early 90s too, so it’s been a long time to get them properly finished! :joy:

I really wish I could do battle with anyone right now to be honest… The timing of this pandemic really wasn’t very good for my gaming… as it was literally just as I got these finished and was ready to finally play my first proper games of KoW.

​I also finally got these guys done (after loads of updates in my WIP folder and some in Swordmaster’s thread here :D).

I say “done” however, I am not 100% happy with how the multi-coloured feathers idea turned out. I did this on spider riders first and it looked good to me, and it looked good to me on individual models as I was doing them, but seeing it as a full block now, I am not so sure. Whilst I like my Goblins to always look a bit disparate, I think I might have gone too far with this for my Forest Goblins.

I’m considering re-painting the feathers with only 1-2 colours perhaps instead, and making them look more uniform. I could keep “elite” spider riders and wartoad riders & characters etc as multi-coloured though as it seems to work fine for them, maybe because there are larger areas of neutral colours relative to the feathers on those models too.

I’m going to leave them like this for a few weeks at least though as I might decide I like this… plus I probably won’t paint further Forest Goblin units for some time now anyway so I have a while to decide on what to do next for the foresty feathery ones :wink:

As always, here’s a selection of images, more shots on my flickr :slight_smile:

Front by Remy77077 (Agoners), on Flickr​

Front right by Remy77077 (Agoners), on Flickr​

Forest Goblin Warband by Remy77077 (Agoners), on Flickr​

DSC_0165d by Remy77077 (Agoners), on Flickr​

Because of being in isolated lockdown when I started to model and paint these I was able to track pretty well at first how long it was taking me as I knew I could dedicate whole evenings at a time to it. As life got busier it got much harder to track properly again, however I reckon it took roughly 21 “nights” from sprue to finished and magnetised onto the tray etc, at roughly 5-6 hours a “night” for me. So that works out at just over 3 hours per Goblin (as a handful were already semi-completed anyway from test paints).

Still not bad though I reckon, especially considering the conversion/kitbash work that went into almost every model here (it was 6 nights before they even got to an undercoat stage).

9 Likes

Those look great, I personally like the feathers as they are.

1 Like

Thank you… Hmm. Got a bit of feedback from failbook too where Shieldwolf posted them (!) that was along the same lines… maybe I should leave them as is… definitely going to leave them for a few weeks anyway to think about it either way :slight_smile:

They look amazing Remy. You’d be mad to mute such vibrant miniatures.

2 Likes

Haha thank you very much @Niall78
Yeah it does seem that thankfully most people like the colours… but I might re-paint some of the green feathers though, as some have said it doesn’t contrast enough with their skin. Which I agree with, even though I tried to make it a very different green, I guess green’s gonna green whatever you do :smiley:

1 Like

They look great. I think goblins should be in the loudest, least matching colours possible. It sums them up for me!
Leave colour coordination to the elves. :joy:

2 Likes

Thank you, very kind of you to say that… and yeah, you have a point about Goblins vs Elvish colour schemes for sure! :grin:

Another new addition and definitely my favourite Mantic model to date…

“We’ve got a flying machine!”

Imgur

What a contrast to the Mincer kit. Maybe the best resin I’ve ever seen, barely any cleanup or mold lines about, didn’t need to heat up any of it to fix it, all fit together so easily. I did fancy doing some conversions on it, but honestly the kit was too nice to change I felt. If I get more Winggits later I will try and make some small additions and changes though to make them different.

11 Likes

That looks really good. I love the detailing on the back and small side wings. I may be borrowing that…
I have to say mine was a bit of a pain to paint: even after washing it didn’t seem to like citadel paints, especially contrast paint. But assembling it was my level of ‘difficulty’ :joy:
Apologies if it’s part of this thread, but is the mincer a nightmare, and am I going to regret not buying a couple of GW’s snotling pump wagons even more than I thought??

1 Like

Hey thank you very much HouseElf :slight_smile:
And please steal and copy my paint scheme ofc, you know what they say about imitation! :joy:

I originally planned to put more detailing on all the wings, but I decided the underneath fins weren’t really visible enough to be worth the extra painting time, and with the side wings they are too different on each side so anything I did looked kinda wrong to me. Darn that ramshackle Goblin engineering eh!? :stuck_out_tongue:
I even painted various logos onto the wings too, but I ended up painting back over them all anyway as I couldn’t find anything I liked the look of - again, I wanted the wings to look similar on each side if I did that. Maybe a single logo on one side would look okay though.

That’s very strange you had painting issues though. I washed mine with warm soapy water as usual with resin stuff, and then spray undercoated it before painting (as I do with any model). I mostly paint with Vallejo paints but I do use some GW stuff too so that shouldn’t be the cause of your issue really. I suspect it’s not enough washing or something to do with your undercoat most likely?

And yeah assembling any resin or metal kit tends to be more of a challenge if you’re not experienced with them I think than the standard plastic sprues. In general the Mantic stuff I’ve got hasn’t been the easiest at all, but thankfully it’s all within my difficulty level as I’ve got many years of working with really difficult & heavy metal models behind me! I did do a youtube search for how to put the Winggit together though and found an excellent video for that thankfully.

As for the Mincer… here was my saga with that model:

All fine in the end! :smiley: But it was definitely more confusing and more difficult than this Winggit.

Btw there are still ways to get hold of Snotling Pump Wagons. Ofc on ebay etc they tend to be very expensive, but there are some recasters I’ve found that do them… not really legal ofc and I wouldn’t normally even mention that, but as it’s OOP anyway and GW, in this case I would personally find it ok, your mileage may vary of course and that’s fine.

Hey Remy - I had similar ideas with logos on the wings. I was thinking the RAF round one might look good, but I left mine out too. Although I’d use transfers, so can revisit that at any stage. Also thought about sticking ‘kill’ insignias on them somewhere, but when I painted something it didn’t really show up against all the brown wood.
Thanks for the link on the mincer. I don’t like the sound of having to heat parts to bend them into place, although I did like Vince’s idea for the mincer mob to have cheerleaders instead of a 3rd one!!
Someone was selling 4 pump wagons on eBay, but I was priced out. Although in hind sight seeing how expensive others are, I should’ve got one.
Are there any other models around that could be used for them instead?

1 Like