Sturgeon’s Elves

Thanks at @MarkG!

Your right, any damage to the mini from the acetone was minor.

For those interested, there was no damage to the dragon at all. The rider himself had several small problems I hid with paint. For example, the corrosive “pox” marks in the crown were hidden by painting dark blue, the melted left eye was just painted on, and the “soft runes” were hidden with a glow effect.

1 Like

Dragons are TOUGH! Elves are puny…melted eye…ewwwwww

1 Like

Your highlighting is amazing.

I will have to push my own more. I’m putting in the time but seem to fear being too bold with the highlights. This leaves me doing numerous highlight coats without the lovely effects you are getting.

Your dragon is top notch. I especially like the different bold colours you chose. The rider is my favourite though. I simply love the blue clothes.

Keep them coming - love following your work.

1 Like

Thanks @Niall78! I really appreciate the comments.

Highlighting is my favourite part of the miniature painting process, with glazing (a very recent skill addition) coming in second.

My process involves a line highlight, an extreme line highlight (usually going over the previous highlight with a lighter colour closer to the sharp edges or in the middle of a curve), and a dot highlight right on the tips of the sharp edges.

If you are looking for inspiration, my favourite mini “tutor” is JuanHidalgo miniatures. He hates blue, but other than that major sin he seems like a nice guy!

https://m.youtube.com/c/JuanHidalgoMiniatures/videos

1 Like

Finished the base of the dragon lord and glued him to his flight stand. It’s meant to represent part of the dragons domain amongst elven ruins.

Revisiting my list of things to do this year, in terms of mini painting I only have 7 more palace guard to paint by the end of the year to achieve my goal. Wish me luck!

17 Likes

So close to goal! Good luck!

Completed dragon + rider are great, very nice base as well :ear_of_rice:

1 Like

Weekly update time!

Unfortunately, I didn’t get much painting done last week. However, I did get those 7 palace guard built. Something is better than nothing I guess!

5 Likes

Late update for last week!

Slow but steady progress. I spent a lot of time futzing around with the glazing on the cloaks. I’m still not happy with it, but I think future line highlighting will help. The blue paint I used for them is also very glossy, but that’s nothing a little Matt varnish can’t fix!

8 Likes

Wow that armor is nice!

1 Like

Thanks @Nicanor!

It’s just 2-3 coats of army painter “shining silver”.

Time for an update!

Progress has been slow these last 2 weeks. I’ve been lacking my usual zeal as the year ends and other responsibilities come up. Even so, I’m still committed to completing my list before January 1st!

Although only partially hobby related, I did help my 8 year old daughter put together a dragon ball Z model kit.

I love how 2 of her favourite characters have teamed up in an unlikely alliance!

8 Likes

Hi everyone!

I haven’t been updating at the same frequency lately as I feel like I’m not making fast enough progress. Anyway, here is where I’m at with the final miniatures for the year.

Hopefully these guys will be done by Christmas!

10 Likes

Noticed you got a brief shout out in the Death by Dragons community update a few episodes back.

2 Likes

Yeah, that was very cool. I appreciate what Steve does for the community.

1 Like

As promised, I completed my last batch paint for the year before Christmas!

I’m not sure about the colours I used for the old phoenix guard minis, I probably should have gone for a different colour cloak or used less red. I’m also still picky about faces, but I’m happy at how they turned out.

This marks the completion of my painting hobby goals for this year. I also wanted to get started on the multibases, but that can wait until 2022.

11 Likes

Very nice. Really like the classic colour scheme, especially on the helmet wings/plumes.

2 Likes

Thanks @MarkG! The red and white is inspired by the Japanese concept of “Kouhaku”. As you said, a classic!

1 Like

Happy new year everyone!

I thought I’d start off 2022 with a bit of hobby reflection.

Number of minis painted: 78
I know this isn’t a particularly huge number, but for me this is an achievement worth celebrating. Previously I would be lucky to hit double digits. I did fall short of my goal of painting over 100, but there is always next year!

New techniques/products used:

• glazing
  • sculpting
  • multibase
  • contrast paint
  • UV resin
    I wouldn’t say I have mastered it, but glazing has really elevated my hobby. I think you can see this most with the skin on the dragon. Who would have thought I was afraid to paint red! Contrast paints were also a revelation. Throw down a layer or 3 and do some line highlights and you have a decent looking speed painted miniature.

Favourite model painted: The dragon
What can I say, I’ve always wanted one in my collection!

Favourite model to paint: Deadzone zombies
These contrast painted minis were really fun to paint. Knocking out 20 in 3 weeks was also a great dopamine rush! I think all the folds and recesses in the deadzone plague minis really lend themselves to contrast/line highlight well.

Hope you guys are all satisfied with you 2021 hobby progress too!

8 Likes

Fabulous army. Looking forward to following the army’s progress.

1 Like

78 miniatures painted is a great accomplishment!

1 Like