The Return

Concealed: enemies with their majority base inside difficult terrain (hiding inside a forest)

Obscured: enemies only partially visible, you see a minority of the frontage you are shooting at (standing behind other units or terrain)

A unit can never count as having both statuses, I believe. So if you move completely into a forest, you seize to count as obscured and only count as concealed. That’s when you wish you had a cannon instead of a catapult. (but no, I agree with above, ignore obscured is needed way more often)

Its basically been done so cover is now:

In terrain - concealed
Behind something - obscured

As above comments, you can’t be both.

The various war engines that ignore ‘obscured’ are the catapult/rock lobber/bombard types.

KoM and dwarfs have war machines that ignore one or other, most others only one or other

update on my beastly cav

7 Likes

The Marauder horsemen steeds you can see lying around in the picture will be used to create a charioteer unit. Seeing how its supposed to be faster than normal knights, I think they’ll fit perfectly for it. Fast looking, lightly armoured - lets gooooo.

Still have not wrapped my head around what purpose chariots have on the battlefield in KoW yet, but at least it will be nice to have the option to field one.

For some reason, Im viewing them as a cheap defensive unit to keep around your warmachines keeping chaff away with their good range. Is this how you guys use them too?

Started on my Foot Guard with 2 handed weapons.

4 Likes

The reason why there is white spots? Ah, that… well, I dont have any spray primer, so Im priming them by hand XD… Dont worry though, I’ll patch the spots up :upside_down_face: :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve been open to the idea that I might do changes to my current list… but it seems to have “settled down”. There were quite a few changes before arriving at the current but I wont bother you with those.

So this is my current build: The Return.

20 Foot Guard : with 2 handed weapons/ indominable will
20 SpearPlanax : ensnare upgraded/ indominable will

10 Knights: Indominable will
10 Knights: Indominable will

5 Mounted Scouts: Blackpower upgraded.

6 Beastly Cav: Indominable will, Fly, Brew of Strenght (+1 cs)
6 Beastly Cav: Indominable will, Fly.

2 x Ballista

1 Mammoth

The Monarch: Fly upgrade.
General on Winged Beast.
The Captain.

With that out of the way, its possible to make some statemetnts.
1, there are no Horde sized infantry units at all.
2. magic seems to be, gone too.

2 Likes

1 - there are loads if you like them, but cavalry regiments and beast hordes work.
2 - our magic is more support type, rather than anything really nasty.

1 Like

haha, the old familiar backpain! Its a good thing the tournament is still months away, so I can just take the breaks needed for my back to stop screaming with pain.

I find painting a few models to be great fun, - but painting a regiment… well, thats some sort of torture. - there is a negative amout of fun to be collected from doing it XD.

1 Like

Progress on the Foot Guards

3 Likes

I really want to “force” my opponent to rush at me, so I can play defensivly in my centerline, and try to delay while I lap around the flanks. And I’ve had this nasty feeling I might not have enough ranged to “motivate” my opponents enough, to want to be in a hurry to do this at all.

Having thought about it for a few days, I started looking around in my list for 60 aditional points, to max out on 3 ballistas, It was quickly apparant that… this would either have to be the mounted scouts, or the brew of strenght on the beast cav unit.

And Im quite determined to field those scouts, so I sacked the Brew, and Indomitable will on both knight units. I guess they will have to make do with headstrong, and staying within inspired range - something I think will be easy enough with 3 very inspiring units in the list.

1 Like

Imho ‘IndoWill’ is overrated. The moment in hand it takes effect is so short and highly occasional, it doesn’t deserve 10pts…

Convince me different;-)

Im pretty much gonna use my infantry blocks to clear away enemy chaf, and get in the way of incoming hardhitters. And its safe to say, what I would not want these units to mess up my plans by wavering in crucial turns vs some incoming enemy shooting and spells.

The Beastly Cav units - I have a hard time imagining they wont be glad for being able to get rid of wavering, both vs shooting, and in combat sooner or later. Besides, if you STILL have it unused at the end of the game, just give yourself Self inspiring vs the last turn of enemy shooting to stop them from having a bad nerve roll vs shooting/magic in the last turn.

As for knights, I think its overkill, since they allready have headstrong. And Horde sized units are just less likely to have uses for it like other less Nerve stacked units does. So in essence the value of the upgrade goes a bit down.

But for Regiment sized infantry, and the Beastly Cac, I’ll gladly pay for the Indomitable Will =)

The indomitabel will upgrade for your knights is a bit redundant. First of all, they are headstrong (and will probably excape wavering) and secondly, they tend to get wavered in melee. Due to reliance on TC, they aren’t that effective on turn 2 or later anyhow, so indomitable will is a bit of a luxury there.

That’s 20 points found.

Hell, no. The ability to shrug off one waver is golden. It will make a unit fight again, where otherwise it wouldn’t have. Having used this on many times, each IW triggers on average once each tournament of 3 battles. Either a double six or freak high roll on shooting (take regiment, shoot it for 4 wounds and roll 11 for instance) or your opponent rolls a waver in melee. In the first case, you lose your movement for one round (which stinks) and in the 2nd case, you lose your counterattack. In both cases, IW is very valueable!

Except on headstrong or furied units. Those units already have waver-migitation and doubling up on that isn’t always useful.

1 Like

…okay, Vince. Got me now. I’ll try it because of you :wink:

Im thinking about Knights!, and deployment and all that nice jazz, but more on that in later posts… back to the Knights, and the seemingly obvioius lack thereoff in almost all the battlereports I’ve seen.

Interesting! Might it be that the game mechanics of KoW seem to punish them?
I have this sneaking suspicion it might be.

I’ll be on the lookout for some “normal” Knight regiments, and study how people use them.

Will I have a gaming table at hand in the living room going forwards toward the tournament… yup! haha, have a lot of thinking to make up for! haha, and the table helps me think.

Oh, I just had a pretty “cool” idea… Imagine you fastened the gaming table to the wall with hinges, and made it in way higher quality than mine is, you could then keep it “hinged up” at the wall, and have some unfoldable legs on the “far” side. And you could make the backside all cool looking and stuff, so when it was “upright” it would just be a pretty piece of furniture in your living room! anyways, thats definitively a digression :laughing:

1 Like

I took “a few” to the Clash of Kings UK tournament this year. You can find my list here . Though knights aren’t “the meta” currently, I think my limited success there (2 wins, 3 losses) is mainly due to my own plays instead of the list. Actually, it’s that I’m working on something entirely different at the moment, otherwise I would gladly have taken (some version of) this list to the 2023 tournaments next year!

I’ve been playing knights for years. A horde and a regiment in 2k pts.
Get the horde the Caterpillar potion and their vast size isn’t that big a problem anymore. Another horde of pikemen make a nice anvil while the knights do a ‘hammer good job’. Only thing: do not count on the knights on countercharges, they need to kill at first strike. if they get stuck, they’re dead … which is actually quite historical.

I like to find and store “gambits” Gambits could be in all types and sizes of course,. its just that they are always a set of actions done in a predictable manner in a respons to something pre-thought out. … if that makes any sense- I assume it does XD.

The most fun of all, ofc is to find them yourself, without seeing them anywhere. And I just did.
Its not spectacular in any way, but has that added little “fun” that I seem to like. I think whenever you can annoy your opponent, even if its just a tiny bit, thats a worth doing.

So my gambit is just simply screening my Ht 5 Monsters(mammoth and general on winged beast) with Mounted Scouts every now and then against enemy warmachines. Im thinking he would want to hit high Def Monsters with that stuff, but not so much def3 chaff, resulting in him “overkilling” with his piercing dmg.

Another gambit Im mulling over in my head, is with the Scouts and the Winged beast, where he would use them as a one turn “barrier” to create an outpost for a single turn on the middle of the battlefield, “abusing” the lack of overrun in this gameset. I always LOVED putting stuff in place so it would predictably die - and I think this particular fancy will have so much more fun in KoW than warhammer. It just seems way more predictable, with no panic, and overruns.