Third edition Rumours part 2

Is it possible to show the chart for those of us who are still waiting for the new rules?

Hopefully my forces haven’t been made illegal.

Yes, the abriviation is still current.
And MMC is not totally gone. Ronnie said they will still use MMC to judge whether an army qualifies for their events or not.
But prizes for best Mantic army will require Units with PMC.

All of my units are made “illegal”. I always use 7 on a troop. I don’t really care. I feel like I am close enough, or alternatively I can try to justify it to myself my thinking it’s 75% rounded DOWN, in which case I am right on the money! :smile:
I mean jeezus, choose 7 or 8, not 7.5!!

1 Like

This is Ronnie’s comment on the whole model count thing.

2 Likes

I also realised the rules actually say 8 for a troop, so 75% rounding up. So I am clearly in the wrong now, no self-justice can make up for it. :laughing:

Sure. Mantic has released this in the FAQs for years so there’s probably no harm in sharing it now.
IMG_20191028_184240_01

1 Like

I fully agree with you. I’ve built my armies using PMC under 2nd edition all the time (as I do think MMC was far too bare) so most of my troops are 7 to a base. Especially when using oldhammer miniatures, 10 (or even 8) to a base leaves little to no room for creative basing.

As a hobyist, I wouldn’t upgrade to 75% unless I was going for a “best Mantic army” which my painting is not up to anyhow, so I’d leave it at 70%

Of all changes in 3rd edition, this irks me most. (There’s gotta be something?) so I wrote a post on it. Here’s it:

And this is not even considering cavalry. How on earth am I going to field 8 cavalry models on a regiment base and keep some room for manouvring or a formation?

3 Likes

I remember back in a day when the multibasing had only one rule, rule of cool. And it was “oh, that is great idea, why I didn`t think of that?!”. KoW was cool because if you had couple of models laying around to make a unit of something or you could put couple of expensive models to act as a unit. It was all about fun and modeling, With second and now third edition it turned into rule, where random people on internet count models and arguing do a tree or a rock count as a model. And now people are worrying if the unit is legal or not because of one or two models. This is the part of KoW which has gone in a wrong way, in my opinion.

3 Likes

I remember the horde of zombies with 5 models and likewise as a result. Unless there is a concrete rule in play people can (and will) find a way to abuse it. ‘Cool’ is too subjective to use en masse.

1 Like

But, how is modeling figures abuse of a game? Does it affect you in any other way except visually ? Is it a cheating? Where you confused in any way? Sure, such things deprive from experience and whole purpose of this hobby, but it doesn`t affect a game in no other way. Of course some people are lazy, but most are not, so I have to wonder for who is that rule made for?

2 Likes

It’s there for the same reason that tournaments have minimum painting standards or a rule about being basically decent to each other. In an ideal world, everyone would make a unit that looks cool. The world is not ideal.

1 Like

As long as people aren’t abusing it, MMC is fine. I doubt local non Mantic tournaments would disqualify people for having a few models too few on their multibases.

It is annoying that Mantic have ruled this for their tournaments, as it does seem like a move with model sales in mind, and less a focus on making forces look cool and interesting.

I play casual, and I imagine a good number of people on here do as well, so it isn’t really going to impact on anything.

2 Likes

Then why minimum painting standard and basing is not also a rule?

1 Like

Just to be clear, I am not raging over PMC, I really dont care for that rule. I am just amazed how it became an actual rule and not a footnote or a suggestion.

1 Like

It is only a rule for Mantic tournaments. Which there is only CoK here in the US. I don’t go, so it doesn’t affect me.

People are really blowing this PMC out of proportion. Then again if this is the worse 3e brings I’m good with that as it means everything else is solid.

2 Likes

Well, nobody knows what is the worst thing in 3e as very few people played the game. Perhaps in six month people will complain that goblins are too powerful. Perhaps we will see more of “you made my xy army illegal as xy units are now irregular, I quit” posts. For now, we debate about the stuff that hits us most obviously: number of models when multibase unit and changing bases of some units.

As I remember, no other rule concerning KoW was so debated as number of models for multibasing. And yes, I agree, that is not a bad thing because it shows that KoW was always great set of rules.

I would really hope this is the case.

That said, it’s part of the rulebook under “rules”, so I don’t feel I can skip the PMC part easily. I also cannot ignore other parts of the rules (such as, for instance, my units becoming devastated after enough damage) if I don’t like them.

So PMC as a suggestion, as a guideline, I’d be okay. As an actual rule, not so much.

Heh, this is absolutely true.

1 Like

What is the difference between theme list and master list?

I don`t know what to think about the fact that they split the brotherhood in two.

Look at the historical book for examples of theme vs master. You can also go to Easyarmy and look at the list building. It is a simple system that allows for flavor. For example, a Macedonian list uses the Ancient Master list but adds companion Cavalry and Alexander the Great (who then allows 2 Persian units to your list)

They do it so they don’t have to print the same stuff over and over.