Third edition Rumours part 2

I don`t mind losing TC1, but I mind that they become irregular. But then again, how can I be upset when I never even played with my elohi army.

Actually, the mawpup launcher in the goblin list looks like a decent enough war machine. 3 attacks @ 4+ to hit; ignore cover and blast D3 for less than 100 points seems nice. It can even get elite when paired with the upgraded wingit.

And thatā€™s not even counting its secondary ability of replenishing mawpup upgrades.(which is IMHO quite secondary).

1 Like

No issue - no longer an auto choice that could do everything. The basilean list had panther cav in there to provide fast flanking units, which were basically rendered irrelevant as elohi were so much better at it.

3 Likes

Poor Chroneas. Vaguely better but immediately made redundant by the Abyssal Fiend. Still want to run triple Chroneas, just not a whole lot going for it (50mm base maybe? Drain Life platform is a thought ā€¦ but maybe not for 245)

So Decimators. Donā€™t worry Dwarf Ironwatch get " pot shot"ā€¦

They arenā€™t designed to be entirely comparable units?

Not sure which unit youā€™re unhappy withā€¦

I think Abyssal Dwarves are going to be top tier in 3rd.

2 Likes

Compare these two units and tell me one is not far superior. ME4 so can fight and have some versatility. Ra4+ steady ,more attacks, no reload, vicious, greater US. Screenshot_2019-10-15-19-46-25-1 Screenshot_2019-10-15-19-44-55-1

1 Like

At first glance, Iā€™d say you are up to something. Decimators seem much better than ironwatch rifles.

That said, weā€™re looking at two different types of units with different battlefield roles. Decimators are shortranged melee-shooting hybrids with a 12" range which may not be able to get a unit in their 16" effective shooting range while ironwatch rifles are long-ranged fire support.

Anyhows, it seems that 5+ shooting has not been buffed at all, while literally no-one took these in 2nd anyhow. (except for cheap unlocks in halflings and spitters). Pot shot looks nice, but 5 attacks @ 6+ to hit (which is the result of moving/pot shot) will not have a meaningful impact.

Still, I repeat, ā€œit seemsā€ since I donā€™t want to make any conclusions without seeing the complete picture. As the guys at counter charge said, letā€™s not jump to conclusions till early 2020 at least.

(http://www.ohiohammer.com/counter-chargeccx/2019/354-j5bfr-mctf3-eey8l-3a4f3-w6slb-cs4lz-xm84x-6r8m5-9exxd-xptjx-y3zyx-l4bbl-hfys5-84zey-c2m4j-3g5cz-r9pmg)

1 Like

Can anyone tell me why Kyle tells Molochs get a buff with Me3+? Itā€™s still the same hit amount because they reduced the attacks from 24 to 18. Get one Speed, one to waver, but loose brutal. All this for 25 Points, for me itā€™s a nerf of Molochs, not a gain. The options seems OK, but fearless for 20 Points is a little much because of fury, I donā€™t think it will be buyed much.
Also the Chroneas is again a hybrid without a defined role. Maybe without Life Drain interesting, but a huge amount of points, letā€™s see. When Iā€™m paying already 215 Points for a Melee Monster I see no benefit buying for additional 30 Points a Melee Cast. When the enemy is near I want to fight it in Meleeā€¦
The new Fiend seems very interesting because of Inspiring without Heroslot, could be useful. The new BA EL is a little bitā€¦ Let me say unconventional. A Unit which can be powerful played right, but also expensive. I liked the old one Model. The From the Pit I Course Ability might be interesting, but in the past I always used the lightning bolt or a Melee Charge instead of using this ability, with loosing Nimble right now this could be more useful.

2 Likes

It wouldnā€™t be so bad if the Decimators had a higher points cost. A troop is the same as a troop of the Dwarf Ironwatch rifles, a Regiment cost the same and a horde is 5pts cheaper than a horde of Ironwatch rifles. That is quite odd.

The Decimators only need to march once, then move and shoot and theyā€™ll be in range. This gives the Ironwatch rifles 1-2 turns to try to deal with the threat. With a RA5+ they arenā€™t going to achieve many hits, 1 in 3 attacks will gain a hit. Sure those that hit will cause damage piercing 2 really helps. Once the Decimators are in range, hitting in 4+, damaging on 3+ with re-rolling 1ā€™s. The Decimators will come off the winner in that encounter.

I understand that this is in a 1 Vs 1 situation, which isnā€™t how the game plays, just a glaring difference in units is quite staggering to see.

1 Like

So I had gathered that US in 3E was Monster 1, Troop 1, Regiment 3, Horde 4(, Legion ?) however it does look like Ranged Infantry get one less at Horde level. I get it - shooting hordes shouldnā€™t also have as much strength for objectives - but gonna call that one needlessly complex, and also disincentivizes moving with them to get objectives, since they canā€™t score them as well anyway. Which is strange given the various incentives to moving shooters? 100% going to call people forgetting that 1 US drop for a while, even when EasyArmy adds a column for US.

Anyway, Decimators >>>>>> Ironwatch. Something-something different armies, something-something different roles (Decimators arenā€™t even Ranged Infantry :wink: ), but Iā€™d still take the AD unit over the D rifles any day.

1 Like

The RC arenā€™t mugs so give them some credit for getting balance right - after all they have seem all the units, not just a handful for half the armies?

With AD the war machines have probably taken a hit - more consistent but less swingy damage. Shorter range and less piercing was always a strong comparison with dwarf shooting anyway. Dwarfs still get ranged shooting as unlocks (unlike elves) and sharpshooters are likely to remain at 4+

2 Likes

It seems to be a truism that thereā€™s always going to be unit profiles in miniature wargames that arenā€™t great, the Ironwatch Rifles look like a good example of this. However, I doubt that Abyssal Dwarves are going to make it into 3rd without their own stinker or two.

Iā€™m mostly happy to see some of the more pedestrian units rather than the super jacked or special rules laden new stuff.

I do think itā€™s relevant that Ironwatch unlock, I hadnā€™t thought of that, in an edition with fewer shooter unlocks.

Unrelated, hereā€™s a sweet Pondwarden from the latest Mantic Blog about League of Infamy:

4 Likes

Here is a 3rd Edition Batrep from Master Crafted. I havenā€™t watched except the army composition. Looks like my werewolves got more expensive, which means I may have reached my target of painting a ā€˜legalā€™ 1000p list of Undead for 3rd.

4 Likes

Decimators unlock too. It would be a lot more even if Ironwatch had ME4 like their evil cousins . oh well
Just have to wait and see in the book if it is as balanced as everyone is hoping .

1 Like

When we see unit profiles for units that are underwhelming I am always reminded of 40,000 3rd Edition Craftworld Eldar. Gavin Thorpe purposely made Eldar Guardians weak, to balance out how powerful Aspect Warriors were. This makes some sense in a friendly fluff driven environment. Sadly most gamers of Sci-fi and Fantasy arenā€™t willing to deliberately handicap themselves with a correct representation of forces. Not to sound like a jerk, but after 30 years of gaming I have found that Sci-fi and Fantasy players are more focused on being competitive, where as Historical players are more focused on correct representation.

So, sometimes the design philosophy can be out of whack with how the designers envision the game when it gets into the hands of the players.

4 Likes