Third edition Rumours

Me 3+ but CS(1) seems to fit the goal of units more reliably doing things while also decreasing the overabundance of CS in the game. Also it’s so much easier to add +1 CS than it is +1 to hit …

1 Like

New Nightmare stats (with my buff/nerf boxes):

And new unit art (hits 2020):

Do we know if Fly includes Nimble now? Or is 3E being more clear on what units natively have Nimble for Disorder purposes? As the King on Chimera has it but these don’t. Because that’s pretty awesome if Fly doesn’t include Nimble :smiley:

3 Likes

Fly and Nimble are supposed to be separated, so that may finally be one with just Fly. Maybe the “unit flyers” have only Fly while the “Hero flyers” get both.

1 Like

Grapeshot on the cannon is a nice idea, however 10 attacks hitting on 6+, is not going to do much, 1-2 hits on average. It may be enough to cause a wavering test, and that is about it. Other than that I like the change to the cannon, I think back in 1st edition cannons were 2 shots.

Dwarfs while not the fastest race, do have access to things with Vanguard, Rangers. That extra move can be handy.

1 Like

I’m digging the looks of that Nightmare art. That’s totally my style.

Grapeshot will be handy vs Individuals who are approaching, as they will be hit on 6+ regardless. Also vs stealthy units. They do have to be very close though…
Against normal units I think I would go for normal shots even if they were close.

Whoa, more spoilers! Where are these coming from?

Kinda psyched about Shieldbreakers now - having another Me 3+ infantry unit is going to be nice. I wonder how they’re changing Ironguard? If they kept them the same with the upgrade, it would be interesting to have them as a “better but more expensive” option for both shieldbreakers and ironclad depending on how you run them.

Also, if Potshot gives a -2 and the unit is already at a 5+ Ra, will that halve their shots like the current edition or just make them unable to shoot as before with Reload?

I would assume potshot on 5+ means half shots on 6+.
Otherwise it’ll be functionally the same as reload most of the time.

It took me a while to realize, that the ‘horse’ has six legs.

I haven´t played KoW, but aren´t dwarfs supposed to be slow? Otherwise it would be kind of weird…Gimli outrunning Legolas?!

1 Like

Dont think the horse has anything to do with Dwarfs? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Sure Dwarfs are slow. But what exactly do they get in return for that handicap? Very little if anything at all. Slowest army in the entire game. Another fast option would have been good. Im still optimistic.

Abyssal Dwarfs are also slow but spoiled for choice. Flying chaff, flying monsters, cheap chaff infantry. Several types of cavalry, large cavalry. Good Dwarfs could do with a little love.

So ends the entry in The Great Book of Grudges.

2 Likes

It took me until you pointed out that the horse has six legs for me to realize that the horse has six legs. :grinning:

3 Likes

Cool model…like a weird alien mounted grim reaper.

1 Like

#MyKindOfMini

1 Like

Shieldbreakers are quite nice (melee 3+; CS1) for only 125/205 points! this gives DwarFs another powerhouse unit, especially since their high nerve and headstrong migitate the 4+ defense disadvantage! And frankly, at that point cost, you could bear to lose a unit… Yay, more reliable dwarven infantry!

Rifles, however, are kinda useless. Yay, they got buffed (reload → pot shot) and 5 points cheaper*; but I fear this will not lead to them used more.

Ranged 5+ / pot shot is technically almost the same as Reload! It means 7+ to hit in the best of circumstances (no stealth/individual/cover). 10 attacks halved at sixes means that it’s less than one average hit, so there’s no reliable damage.

*Disclaimer: Yes, I’m looking at a single unit without looking at the whole; but it seems that 5+ reload! shooting was buffed with pot shot and just left it at that… A pitty since I had hopes that 5+ shooting would be changed in 3rd, which seems not to be the case.

In 2nd edition regular Shooting was overpowered when it constisted of a) very cheap unlockers (goblins, halflings) that also shot or b) 4+ RA elite with easy access to piercing and bane chant. For those who would like to use regular shooters as part of a balanced army, this was a bit frustrating.

I did my analysis on this matter early 2018 which I reposted on my blog. Here’s the original post:
https://kingsofwarvince.business.blog/2018/12/07/why-elven-shooters-are-great-and-men-arent/
(mind: I did the analysis with KoM shooters in mind, but it’s the same -if not worse- for dwarf crossbows and rifles). Though it’s too early to see how things work out in KoW3, I fear that the poor crossbowmen and gunners might spend another edition shelved.

2 Likes

The rumor is that overall the shooting was toned down (e.g. bane chant not working on ranged attacks). Thus, if the rifles are slightly buffed, they might be on par with the other (regular) shooting options. However, as you also say, we just have to wait and see when the full rules come out. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Dwarfs do not have a real HAMMER unit though. That’s a problem. CS1 isn’t going to do it. You need a bit more, so im a bit disappointed with Shieldbreakers. But maybe it will be ok with ME 3.
I wonder what changes Orc Great Ax will get. Will they lose the CS 2?
Im still optimistic for Dwarfs though. Just have to see.

I’d assume that the KOW2 best hammers (18 attacks melee 3+ TC/CS a lot fast units) get toned down a bit, so we all have to do with something slightly less effective. Melee 3+ / CS1 for 205 points seems (disclaimer again…) rather nice, even with a movement of 4.

Well, there’s always charging down a hill! I guess take more units and multicharge?

Joking aside, I’m hoping that when Dwarfs players look at all of their options, they see how they all fit together. Maybe Dwarf life is more about synergy in 3rd rather than spamming a few profiles like in 2nd.

Or maybe it’s trash. In that case, do some conversions and say that your army sided with the Abyss. A Dwarfs army that was in progress being “Abyssified” would be a cool hobby project…

2 Likes

Given that getting piercing on shooting hordes is going to be much less common now (yay no bane chant piercing), the rifles (and assuming crossbows) are very, very good. “But they aren’t a lot better”, sure but ALL shooting is taking a hit to make melee the driving force (per Matt Gilbert on CC). Yeah they are garbage shots while moving, but Potshot is giving more options to a unit that otherwise just stood still and shot until the opponent got something into them. Enemy in cover/stealthy/individual? Move and shoot them. That pesky flying thing getting close? Turn and shoot them.