Unit base your old warhammer models ("multibase")

I usually do this the hard way. Clip off each models base, make a sanded and painted 100x40mm mdf base (for a troop of Infantry) and fasten each model with superglue and often brass rod pins as well.

This time I thought “lets do this easy”.
I glued the models to the mdf base in the desired formation. Then I glued small cork pieces to “block the exits” of the glue I would use in the next step. But first I let it dry overnight.

The next day I poured in a thin and controlled (ish) stream of glue from top down to fill the gaps between the model bases. Then I sprinkled some sand on it to create some texture. I will wait for it to dry and use some tiny amount of spackle in some areas on the edges where the gap between old plastic base and cork is very visible.

All glue used is simply pva glue.

Photos of result before spackle and paint:

13 Likes

I’ve done similar but being lazy I’ve used a mix of paint, PVA, and sand mixed to a thick porridge consistency and carefully run it through the gaps with a cocktail stick or carved lolly stick. Sometimes needs two layers if the bases are round as the gaps are bigger.

Quick dry brush and redoing the static grass and its done

3 Likes

Hi @FredOslow
I am wondering how they have fared. Has the unit weathered or deteriorated?
Also could you please post some pictures of them with the finishing touches?
I am considering using this method myself

5 Likes

Hi, they are still fine last time I looked. :slight_smile:
There were many photos posted in the army thread, most of the units apart from the spearmen and archers were made in this fashion.

4 Likes

You might be better off using a coffee stirrer/lolly stick between each base as your cap instead of cork. It could be painted black to blend in with the front of the base and have texture pushed right to the edge. Wall filler is great for filling those gaps too. If you get one with a bit of texture you won’t need to glue sand to it. Put it between all the bases then smooth the sides out with a wet finger and it will dry to a great ground texture.

2 Likes

You could make the base two layered. Use a piece of chip board for the bottom and some foam board with cutouts for the square bases, meaning the bases are hidden and you don’t have to cut them up. They should slip right in and probably wont move once they are in until you lift them out. With that, just terrain up the base and wham! Good to go.

3 Likes

Here are some I’m working on. A bit crude but once I’ve got it figured out and pretty I’m sure they will be fine. This is foam core with the paper removed glued to chipboard. Seems the foam core is the same thickness as the GW bases

7 Likes