Using Twilight Kin 2023

Hi, I’ll hope to make a series of Breps here. They will be worked on whenever I got some time, so I might not finish one in one go :smiley:

First battle was Against Mike’s RFO, lists Below

My list

I wanted a list where I could test a lot of the new stuff, and also Include the mega army and terror that I ordered.

In this game I was severely outranged, but that is something I think I will have to be used to with the new TK. I deployed mostly by a planned design,and less reactive, except for the assassin, hoping for a T1 charge on a unit all alone.

After T1 which I got

I hoped the assassin would’ve got a lucky, but not unreasonable kill, but at least I did one important dmg there. Rest of the army moved carefully forward, the mission is control and I got more shooting, so no rush.

After B1

He also moved up carefully, but were now able to get in range for charges. Riftwalkers Countercharge assassin, but did 0 dmg thx to Shield and felblades he dmg me on 6s even with CS 1. This was lucky for me, to still have the ahield intact and more possible uses of the assassin.

After T2

On the right flank, the void skiffs finished off the riftwalkers that struggled against the assassin. Certainly a dilemma here, as the skiffs will be stuck and behind the building after this manouvre, but the riftwalkers had to be dealt with, and skiffs would be more efficient than the assassin. The assassin went towards the centre of the battlefield to shoot at another unit of riftwalkers. They was hiding in the field, but was pushed out La’theal’s windblast to deal dmg and make them easier to hit. You may also notice that the stormbr8nger and helstrikers moved back. This is because I pointed out they were within 15" of my mutants with SP 8(due to item), WC 3. A mistake that is easy to make in a PBEM game, and I thought it unfair to capitalize on it.

After B2

Time for pain. On the left flank I made a mistake thinking that impaler regiment could survive any charge, but thonaar + helstriker horde was too much. I should rather have placed the wranglers in front and in combination with the builing, block a charge on the impalers. The central impaler horde hiding in forest also got killed, three units charged inn, banechant on helstrikers and hsb on stormbringer was more than they could handle, but I was suprised to see them go down. I have little experience playing against RFO, next game I’ll be even more careful.

After T3

The weakenes of the skiffs is reveald, as they have to tirn really awkwardly to help shooting on the riftwalkers, turning their front away from everything. Assassin helped as well to bring down the riftwalkers. But was it worth trading a kill for skiffs new position? In the centre, mutants and SB teamed up to kill Helstrikers, fleetwarden did some dmge on riftwalkers, and wranglers did one on stormbringer. Suddenly the forest that was a part of my defence was turn against me, as all my counter punches got hindered. Was it worth it to hide in the forest, when my horde died anyway previous turn? I also positioned my navigator to give many units vicious, and to prevent flank charge from the other helstriker unit, but I firgot to consider all the enemy troops…
On the left flank the wranglers charged helstrikers, nothing else to do, and I positioned the crone to make her unchargable.

After B3

Three routs and two wavers makes for a pretty strong turn by my opponent. Escpecially losing mutans in one shot by hindered helstrikers, and navigator that didnt expect flank from riftwalkers was a big blow. I think the stormshrine successfully cast 3 BC and one HSB that turn!

After T4

I got a good turn myself, the crone on the left managed to put 3 dmg on already wounded riftwalkers, routing them. Again a difficult decicion, trying to rout the riftwalker unit, VS weakining the helstrikers to try save the Soulbane. Hindered FW routet other RWs, and a triple charge against Vohdler resulted in the third rout.

After B4

A lot of fighting in a chaotic melee; Thonaar just poking the crone, Helstriker horde routed the SB, helstriker regiment go for impaler regiment, riftwalkers failed to rout fleetwardens on 12 dmg, stormbringer finished off the wranglers.

After T5

Skiffs and imapler regiment routs the helstriker regiment, fleetwarden (with good help from assassin) routs another unit while hindered. There was alrrady 4dmg on the helstrikers horde, but I still felt a bit lucky. Cheeky crone tried to ground the other helstriker horde with nothing better to do. I think La theal put BC on fleetwardens. Terror is stuck behind, biding his time…

After B5

The Riftforged Orcs finishes off a few alreadt wounded units, but the helstriker horde didnt manage to rout the fresh fleetwarden regiment. Shrine charges skiffs to ground them and protect helstrikers, but unfortunately, the terror’s time to strike has come.

After B6 (end of game)

We played the last bit live, so skipped a shot. In T6, the terror flanked the helstrikers and routed the with the help of fleetwardens. In B6 the fleetwardens was killed, but the terror, being US 2 from new rules, still holds the zone. Skiffs survive the combined attacks from anvil and stormbringer, scoring in his centre for 2pts, and actually making the skiffs MVP for this game! Which is a bit funny considering the bit of hate they get. We discussed at end of game, that at some point it mightve been better for Mike to use his superior manouvreability to score, rather thsn try to kill my stuff. Another fun thing I noticed from this game while making the report is that; the three helstriker hordes went in one bye one, and got routed one by one in almost the same spot. It was a real piece trading game in thecentre there.

That is all for my first battle report, game and win eith the new Twilight Kin :wink:

8 Likes

Second game against Northern Alliance, piloted by Oscar.

What I see is that I am getting outgunned and outranged. To counter this I will try to keep tight formations for max effect of stealth aura ans also counter punch support.

After T1 which I got

IKH had moved a bit up on dcout phase, which meant that La’theal could move up and reach them with enthrall. She did and pulled them out of terrain to be shot by a broadside from skiffs. Skiffs front facong is almost completely covered by mutants, but flank got free LOS, suddenly and upside to the foretoød downside of shooting from the sides. Assassin did his thing and ground the raven champion, but did poor dmg.

After B1

Bad things happens quickly as the little space in front of skiffs was enough for fitting a unit and I even got wavered. The wranglers that were set up to counter charge in this eventuality also got wavered due to some lucky shooting, so I’m already in trouble on my right flank. (Left in the picture, as the pictures from my opponents turn will be from his point of view) He also popped assassin shoeld, which put him in trouble, especially as more units converge on him. Apart from that he moved his unit up a bit.

After T2

Really jammed up on my right flank, just a aitting duck there. Crone get one hit on wounded IKH, but faul to wound on 2+, assassin kerp rolling low, but atleast 1dmg is made. I move up agressively on the left. Not a good turn.

After B2

Assassin get slain from triple charge. My lines crumble on the other flank.

After T3

Impalers on the right flank are free to act and waver some frostclaws, they are free from retaliation from other units. Weakness finally go through and kill the IKH. Navigator is lucky and routs the snowfoxes. They would’ve been a right pain if they got to slam into my flank. Impaler horde scores an objective, but are positioned slightly wrong to run and score on the next. I think there was a reason for that, but cant remember.
Skiffs keep pullimg back in a despereate attempt to stay alive, while crone chip dmg on the frostclaws harrasing them.

After B3

The Skiffs have to flee the battlefield all tougheter. My other block of troops is getting surrounded by the Northen Alliance.

After T4

Impaler regiment on the left flank tun up to raze and objective, but putting themselves in a dangerous position. A triple charge on the ice elementals just fail to do anything, not good. Impalers on thr right flank finish off some reavrnclaw, while the crones take care of the ravenclaws going for the flanks of my remsining army.

After B4

Lot of units lost, inpalers on right flank couldn’t survive against the angry berserkets. Impalers that scored predictably went down and two of the units that failed their triple charge also went down.

After T5

La’theal push the berserkers back, buying some time, while the other crone finish off the ravenclaws threatening my flank. The terror finish off the iceelementals and turn to face the IKH, thinking thry cannot escape. This wouldve bern true, if they didn’t have a charge on the fleetwardens that I overlooked… The impaler horde finally see combat and picks up a unit of clansmen.

After B5

The surrounded impaler horde goes down, fleetwarden survives the flsnk charge against the sneaky hunters while troll that could’ve helped finish them went for La’theal to shut down her magic. He got enough US to score anyway so no big trouble for him that FW are still alive. The wranglers are also taken care of.

After T6

Desperate times call for desperate measures, I now got two units to protect two tokens from six enemy units, If I pull it off, it is a win. Instead I go for a safer draw,abonfining one objective, throwing the fleetwardens on the frostclaw raiders to stop them. I also postion the crone so the frostclaw hero on left flank can’t land near the objective that the terror is holing in the centre.

After B6 (end of game)

The last two regiments of fleetwardens are routed while the rest of the Northen alliance converge on the objectives. Luckily for me the hames end here, AND the fact that terror is now US means I score on the centre for a draw.
The Twilight Kin had to sacrifice almost their entire force to just barely keeping the Northen Alliance from a victory, Lord Mikayel will not be pleased…

End of game thoughts, not sure whether splitting my force in two was a good or bad strategy. I certainly struggled in the game, but I also felt I had terrible bad luck on one flank. My opponent certainly knew how to exploit every opening I gave him :wink:

3 Likes

Third game against Empire of Dust, piloted by Ed. Scenario is control.

After T1 which EoD got.

After extremely quick deployment, mutants are out of inspiring range, and suffer for it. The EoD army moves up quite agressively. Crone is hexed, limiting my posibilitirs to retaliate. I had hoped to remive a catapult erly one with her long range dmg spell, but I never got the chanse.

After B1

I move up carefully due to chariots threat range, despute the fact I’m outgunned. At least both stealth auras are active now. The shooting that I got completely fail to do anything.

After T2

I hadn’t managed to hide the crone well enough, so another hex on her. EoD shooting was a lot less effective this turn, but they managed to waver the navigator, so no aura for me next turn.

After B2

It seems I might’ve put up the aura erroneously, but I think I remembered to go back in and save again without the aura. The skiffs funnily enough got a clear shot on the EoD chariots on the other side of the forest. Even though the shooting does something this turn, it is still not effective enough to deter the undead charioteers.

After T3

Both wrangler troops gets taken out, probably could’ve played them better. The impaler horde routs as I fall to a sneaky surge trick that its been to long since I was expossed to.

After B3

I kill the damaged unit of charioteers but fail to rout the ones that got the impalers. This was especially annoying as they were double charged and not inspired. La’theal also fail to push the EoD charioteers off of the hill to remove one lvl of TC. The plan was to push them off the hill, kill charioteers, pivot navigator on skiff to block the flank charge on impalers. Both parts of the plan failed. The terror gets to charge the revenant horde, to try make the wrangler sacrifice worth it. He dishes out a good amount of damage.

After T4

EoD kills things on the centre, and the terror gets its spul sucked out gor a big heal on the revenants. Assassin is lucky to suffer no lasting effects from the charioteers charge. Can’t remember if the boots was used this time.

After B4

Counter punching does some damage, manage to rout Rhas on the chariot. Unfortunately I failed again on charioteers in centre right.

After T5

Impalers and terror go down. I had really hoped the terror would ein the fight against revenants, but it was notbto be.

After B5

I kill the centre chariot horde and try to shoot away the chariots in centre right with skiffs, but fail yet again to take them off the table.

After T6

Skiffs survive on a timely 1,1, but the fleetwardens and crone are not so lucky. The Twilight Kin has soon faded away.

After B6

Skiffs soar accross the battlefield to secure the opponent’s centre while reducing the peristen charioteers to dust with a full broadside. Have the Twilight Kin managed to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat? But alas there was more fighting to be done… (we called a win for Ed when I rolled 4+ for T7).

End of game thoughts.
Never again will I quickly deploy out of inspiring range against heavy shooting. It was difficult to be both outranged and outgunned, and the results really shows. Not to take anything away from my opponent’s mastery of his list.

4 Likes

Summary / takeaways from first three games.

First of all I want to thank my three skilled opponents that gave the list as difficult games as can be from the get go. All games was decided at the very end, which give credit to the game/RC for making the new TK seemingly balanced.

Thoughts on the list itself:
I liked having 15 drops, and mostly fighty units. Gives a lot of board spread if not board control. I am still learning to cope with having ro take the charges rather than dictate the charges, many units mran that usually some are fit to fight back. I didn’t see as many synergies as advertised, but it might be as I have only one navigator, one crine and no heal, and no-one of the corsair auras. Still I think the list worked well together with the exception of the wranglers.

Thoughts on units
Wranglers: unique unit that I really wanted to be good, but rather is a big let down, at least in this list. Foreshadowing a bit; I tried replaving one of them with phantoms for a few games, and I think they both will go in future games.

Impalers: I have to protect them better, even with big Shields they can only take so much. Still I am really happy to field large/monstrous infantry in regiment size. That is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time, and with def 6 fearless they will stick around and be able to punch back. Big footprint is a liability, but also give great coverage.

Fleetwardens: happy with thoose, perform as expected.

Void Skiffs: positively surprised after a bit of negativity on the social media. Key unit in some games, but also not doing much in other games. Still I will keep at least one around.

Mutants: A really goid gammer if they live long enough to hit something. Must learn to protect them better. Think I must keep them for board control, or add some other fast and powerful unit.

Impaler soulbane: hits like a truck when he eventually see combat. I might have been too protective of him, but def 4 feels so squishy. I will keep him unless he srart doing really bad, as he looks so good. Hope I will do the model justice when I get mine.

La’theal: I thought I would miss the FB/DL combo more than I did, but I found plenty of uses for enthrall/push as well. Ofcourse, as the lines meet, DL would’ve been helpful. Eye of valak is in a bit weird spot now, as her spells now outrange the ability.

Crone with weakenes: failed to do her thing several times, but will still take as shes still good. Miss DL when lines meet, but atleast she can still help with dealing dmg in combats.

Assassin: I love this guy (yes I already got a model for this, sorry). Disappointed a bit in the start of the games with consistently dealing 1 dmg, but still did a lot of work in 2/3 games.

Navigator on skiff: with the amount of Voidtouched/Twilight Elf units in tge list I really think she is worth the points. Skiff upgrade has helped some times, but not sure if worth the extra 50, but will keep for now.

Terror: Great unit that does what I expect, must get it in combat asap.

I will keep posting list before each game in case there are tweaks, some are already hinted at. I’ve made some completely different lists for fun, but I think I will stick to something like this for the next few months. I have models for this list on the way, and an anticipated tourney coming up end of January (Kings of Oslo GT).

4 Likes

Game 5 with a slightly tweaked list (exchange 1 wrangler with phantoms). Mike is my adversary again, this time with the Northen Alliance. Scenario is invade. Now with cropped images!

After T1 which Northern Alliance got.

Shooting sees 6 dmg on the mutants, making thrm ready to drop next time. Stealthy wranglers in cover takes enough damage to get wavered. My assassin on the right flank is ignored.

After B1

Mutants take the charge on frosttroll before the Alliance can rout them, even with being frozen, their wc help thrm get in range. La’theal banechants them for good measure and they royt the big troll. Left flank move up agressively, terror protectes La’theal from frostclaws vision. Skiffs hide in the back to shoot back at thr IKH. I move up carefully, but not caeful enough on centre/right flank, shooting weakenes the berserkers, but the danage done is not enough to deter them.

After T2

Berserkers slam into my Big Shields with TC 3 CS1, ouch! They are aided by the frostclaws for that frozen/vicoius combo as well. Impalers are routed, while the same combo only manages a waver on the fleetwardens. Guess phalanx was better than big shields this time! Fortunately for me, the chimaera/frostclaw combo was not enough to take out the impaler regiment, exposing some flanks. Wranglers were wavered by foxes, this is going to be a theme. Mutants didn’t live long, as expected, but they did their job at least.

After B2

I do a lot of counterpunches, doing damage to several units. The Chimaera with exposed flank gets routed, as well as the berserkes when they are hit eoth another weaking spell. In centre right I took a Hail Mary, as I saw some unispired ice elementals with a flank to my phantoms. The assassin joined in, they did 5dmg, dread countered rally and I rolled a 6,6 for the nerve, routed on the dot!

After T3

I failed to consider that the skiffs could’ve shifted sideways to centre after combat. Mike was quick to capitalize on that mistake. A lot of my other counter punchers was routed as well, wtanglers and fleetwardens are wavered yet again.

After B3

Even with a lot of units out of the fight after Northern Alliance’s turn, my remaining units managed to finish off several of the Northen alliance units that had suffered damage in my previous turn. The assassin had a talk with the Thegn about his surge shenanigans.

After T4

Wranglers keep wavering, and the fleetwardens have had enough. The ice elementals move out of the way to let the berserkers charge the terror, but to no avail.

After B4

Ice elementals are routed by the soulbane, assassin and fleetwardens. The terror destroys the berserkers and shuffles sideways snidly to score. Crone does an amazing 3 dmg to the frostclaws, but the phantoms fail to do any damage. No nerve test/ disorder for the frostclaws. The Crone anticipated this might happen, and positioned herself out of tgeir arc of sight.

After T5

Wrangles finally give un affter the dogged assault of the snowfoxes. Thegn decides to be the hero, but fails to waver the fleetwardens. Now there is nothing stopping them from scoring and the game is decided here.

Thanks again to Mike for the game, another real slugfest!. I certainly got an advantage from the lucky kill on the ice elementals, but I still would’ve won that left flank.
I feel like in some turns I manage to think of everything, and in some turns I really don’t XD. Playing on UB is a weird thing for me, as I want to learn skills to bring to the table, and therefore not spend infinite time checking every little detail. On the other hand I want to win, and I don’t know if my opponents limit their time to make it feel like on clock, or if they play indefinitely until a perfect movement phase is accomplished. So I end up doing a little bit of both, and it shows through in my games. Anyway, time to play more games.

2 Likes

Next game is my first mirror match with the new Twilight Kin. Juan Pablo is my opponent, and we are playing plunder. My list has now exchanged both wranglers with phantoms. Juan has a more speedy list with more mutants and less impalers, otherwise it is many similarities.

After T1 which he got

Juan pilots his TK carefully

After B1

I make an agressive play, mainly because I wantet my assassin to do something else than back away. It was a silly thought that should not have been acted upon XD

After T2

He kills the assassin, more surprisingly he also kills the terror, probably was a higher chanse than I calculated for, certainly didn’t account for weakened mutans would get banechanted. The left flank is still careful.

After B2

I move up more agressively on the left flank, as the troops there must aid the centre as soon as possible. Fleetwardens does good damage and wavers the mutants, but there will be no gain from that as they are surrounded. I also manage to waver the void captain, anfter removing his glass shield by a weakness spell before the skiffs fight back. The Impaler soulbane also fortunately does his job, killing the phantoms and sidestepping less than three inches so there is no room for mutants to get between him and the Navigator. Navigator gets sacrificed to protect the impalers from the mutants.

After T3

Mutants that were blocked from a charge backpedal to be out of impaler horde charge range while less important units kills the navigator. Fleetwardens gets routed and the Soulbane on horse comes to the void captain’s aid, does poor damage, but high nerve roll sees the skiffs wavered. The Void lurker sneaks behind my lines but are facung the wong way.

After B3

The crone tries to take out the damaged mutants but fails to get past the protective Spellward from navigator. Impaler Soulbane throws hinself on the mutants with nothing better to do. The left flank continue their advance on the centre, ignoring the voidlurker they anticipated to be in their backs. La’theal pushes back the skiffs and wavers them in the process.

After T4
Didn’t get a picture of this, unfortunately. The voidlurker jumped past the impalers that was left on left flank, to threaten the centre. Units on right flank gets picked up.

After B4

My Twilight Kin is getting surrounded, but there is still a small hope. Mutants rush to the centre to protect the fleetwardens, impaler horde back up to block his phantoms LOS. Phantoms turn to face voidlurker, and protecting the back of impalers. I’m fighting back to back now. La’theal manges to kill the phantoms. Fleetwardens pick up the centre objective.

After T5

Unfortunately his voidlurker beats the odds and one-shots the phantoms, imaplers and mutants are routed as predicted.

After B5

With the loss of the phantoms I can do nothing more than back to back fighting, dropping the token for La’theal to hold while fleetwardens and impalers protectes her.

After T6

Impalers and fleetwardens are picked off, but he can’t get to the tokens held by La’theal.

After B6
Dice decides to add insult to injury by letting La’theal fail to score a single damage, but still giving my opponent the T7 to foil my final plan.

The game ends in an almost complete disaster for me, with only impalers holding 2p left on the borad while he got 5p and lost only the phantoms. It started, of course, with my silly T1, but towards the end, I had a real chance to win if the voidlurker didn’t one-shot phantoms, and of course, no T7. Really shows how a game can be useful to be played to the end even with a very skewed start to the game. This game also felt very cinematic towards the end, with the back-to-back fighting. The ending was less cinematic, with the heroes swallowed up by the oncoming horde, oh well. Thanks a lot to Juan Pablo for showing me once again, expert play.

4 Likes

Been focusing more on playing than reporting lately, but now I’ll try write some more.

Another game against Oscar, now with forces of nature. A nice balanced list that manges to include all elements and still be competative.

I am running my same TK list again, as I feel quite comitted to it for the Oslo GT in January.

Mission is loot

After T1 for forces of nature

I had moved up the assassin to hope for a T1 charge and kill on Keris, even moved up the crone to add damage with weakness, but it was not to be. Centaurs charged the assassin and only the fabulous gnome glass shield saved him from beeing grouund under their hooves. Fire Elementals claimes the hill, while EEs are surged on the heels of the centaurs. Critters in left flank does not claim the token. Greater water elemental is positioned cleverly, where it threatens both the terror and whatever will charge the centaurs. Also note an unusual deployment where we mirror our armies, rather than go for one loot token each and fight over the last one. I got to place the second counter and chose to play wide, thinking I’m faster due to his many shambling units.

After B1

I decide to go all-in on the centaurs to enusre the kill, as a bonus the committed units will protect each others flanks. Having the assassin in the middle, even wavered helped me angle a bit on the reform. La’theal was happy to be able to target non-loot-carrying critters, but failed to scared them. Left flank/centre moved up, firming a line to avoid shenanigans, especially from the unicorn. Terror moved up carefully, but in range to claim token and turn next round. Phantoms got a charge on EEs to block them, and also block the FE horde. I throw down defensive measures on my units as well to be as safe as I can.

Adter T2

Charge of the elementals! Fortunately for me it was unimpressive. Bloodhex stopped skiffs from beeing wavered, and phantoms is alive by a lucky 1,1. On the left flank though, the hunters grab the first loot token and unicorn block impalers from doing anything about it. The Naiad centurion moves up behind my lines in a flanking manouvre. At least the token on the right flank is now unprotected… The greater air elementals still hang back. I try to not give them openings and he wisely don’t throw them in, risking getting stuck.

B2 movement highlight

I want to highlight two situations here. Most obviously, the beautiful clusterf*ck in the centre with 9 units being jammed together. The other highlight is on the right; an example of how to trap a nimble larg cav hero. Surround it with individuals out of charge arc, and disorder it with a front charge.

After B2

I keep playing it safe on the west flank, with the growing threat from the GAEs. La’theal would wish to finish off critters, but must hide. Impalers wavers the unicorn, average roll, but important. In the centre I pick up the FE horde, but GFE is left alive due to 1,1. At least the dice seems to be a bit even this game, which is a good thing. I also got the important damage on the centurion to disorder and consequently trapping it. Terror picked up token amd will join the fun soon, hopefully by eating the eksposed rear of a centurion.

After T3 (end of game)

My left flank is getting attacked and the threat of the GAE is atarting to get real. However, as you can see in the centre, my opponent was not aware of the fact that the centurion could not run thorugh Individuals while disordered. It is quite understandable as it is rarely seen and probably often overlooked. This messed up his gameplan, so he decided to end the game there, which is perfectly fine. This is maybe the biggest drawback of PBEM games; that the usual agreement of “can I do this and that”, that we’re so used to, is virtually non-existent. I shall be more aware to point out possible hiccups like this in my future PBEM games ahead of opponents turn. Still a great game as long as it lasted. Stay tuned for more reports.

1 Like

Another game against Ed with forces of nature. I tweaked my list slightly to get hex in, I heard it was good XD. Scenario is invade.

After deployment

I deployed assassin last, always hoping for that T1 charge. A juicy target as well. In my opponent’s defence UB PBEM set-up are usually quick and dirty. Last time I made the mistake and had to pay for it. Unfortunately he didn’t as he got T1 this time as well :wink:

After T1

At least the shield held this time, no dmg to the assassin! FoN turn away from the centre and move en masse to the left flank, while a beast of nature to the right keep me from advancing up the centre unopposed.

After B1

I move up on left flank to meet tge oncoming elementals, but stay out of charge range for the most part. Get in some damage on the right flank, but with the green lady around I know it won’t stick. Beast of nature makes for a headache. One advantage here with briadside is that I can shoot the left flsnk while procjecting threath in the centre, preventing the beast landing there. Get a hex in on the druid, so I think the damage on EEs will stick.

After T2

He forms up south of the forest on left flank, ready for anything I can throw at him. Keris gets to disorder the skiffs, even with weakenes it was a god chanse it would happen. Beast of nature stays in place, as it is in a good spot. I must challenge it on my next turn. The glass shield breaks as well.

After B2

With some luck I make a big hole on the stone wall on the left flank. I push up in centre and right flank, to force some action. Defensive measures and counterpunches at the ready.

After T3

I gave him tough choices on the right, he chose to charge skiffs with centaurs and flank with BeastON. Shuffeling amd cagey soth of forest still, goading me to attack by srnding in Earth elementals. His Hexed GreaterFE decide not to cast fireball this turn.

After B3

I rout the centaurs with the planned Countercharge from impaler SB. I send three units to off the EEs, but are now in charge range of fireelementals. I shoot the critters but fail to waver, I get a lucky kill on Scorchwings instead afrer windblasting them out of inspire range.

After T4

Fire Elementals go in for the kill and elfs die. He tries to kill crone and overrun into skiffs, but fluffs conpletely and 0 dmg! Critters dance around. Blocking phantoms are also killed.

After B4

I charge and rout the final earth elementals with impaler horde and mutans, it is about time those units saw some action. I also chip away at fire Elementals. Impaler regiment charge centaurs but fail to impress them. I think the unicorn was tacticslly position to be in the side of the impalers, which is going to hurt as it got HSB. Shooting sees critters off, and the Soulbane get a bit lucky kill on Beast of nature with a flank charge. Two damage was dealt from non-disordered crone and was needed for the kill.

After T5

Green lady put more damage on skiffs and others nearby. GFE charge impaler horde, but only dents their shields. FE horde turn and kill the phantoms that was behind them, setting up a double charge on impalers next turn. Other FEs charge the terrors, but with ensnare, little dmg is done. Nasty unicorn with HSB in flank of nmpalers was enough to rout them as predicted. Centaurs turn to have many options for T6.

After B5

La’theal Windblast centaurs in a hope to waver them, but onlh manage to push them off the hill. Navigator charge the druid to stop more surge/heal. Mutants got a rear charge on the FE that battwked ghe terror and took it to great success. There was no way to keep skiffs safe from Keris, so just had to hope and put fleetwardens in position to avenge them. Impalers, with the help from vicious aura and dread from assassin just managed to rout the GFE. That was lucky, and more or less seals the game.

After T6

Keris avoided getting wavered from shooting, and routs the skiffs. Fireelementals have a slim chanse to rout the impalers alone, so they take their anger out on the assassin instead. Centaurs charged the terror rather than the mutants. Less chanse of successfully doing anything that matters, but only way of getting the centaurs to score which he needs. The unicorn charge La’theal, probably hoping for an overrun into mutants, but La’theal is not easily scared.

After B6 (end of game)

Punished Keris, mutants killed unicorn and terror killed centaurs. La’theal moved up to make less options for surge shenanigans. I rolled up a T7, but we ended it there with a clear win to me. Thanks again to Ed for a challenging game, it will probably be worse when he gets to play with CoK24 changes for his armies :wink:

This was my second game using hex, and I used it twice this game. First one on druid to discourage healing the Earth elementals that got routed in my following turn. Might’ve been the opening I needed to get ahead on that flank. Second cast in GFE to stop fireballing probably had less effect, but a lucky waver on fleetwardens could’ve thrown a wrench in my counter charge on the second unit of EEs. I lost speed on the mutants due to the trade in nagic items. I felt it, as they had to travel far before acting, but hard to measure the impact. All in all, happy with the small tweak so far. It is also amusing that the navigator can now shoot or cast from 3/4 arcs.

1 Like

Cheers for the bat-reps and comments.

Never played UB, so don’t know how involved/interactive it is, but are you finding TK ‘fun’ to play?

Lots of the potential army builds I’ve run across just seem a little dull/cookie cutter, and really hope the ones on the table aren’t just going to focus on 3/4 units and spamming various heroes

2 Likes

Hey, thanks. I hope my list is a fresh breath in comparison to the lists you’ve seen. A few duplicates, but no more than in most other lists from other armies. I see though that I’ve picked some of the popular choices, but not all the auto-includes like Planar with heal. I would like to have it, but I don’t like what I’m sacrificing to get ut in this list. I’ve also made a cookie-cutter list I might try soon just to see, but it is what I play now that will hit the table in January.

I play UB and also as play by email, which make it very different from play accross the table. It makes every turn a puzzle/challenge to be solved. I think it is fun to play with the new TK like this. I feel like most battles are quite even and engaging for both parts. I’ve also got quite even scores from playing, 7-1-6 I think against very skilled opponents. I guess some might say the list isn’t good enough by those results, but I think it is good balance. Of course, this is before everyone else get the CoK 24 changes.

What the future holds when people have played them for a while and the CoK 24 meta has solidified remains to be seen :wink:

3 Likes

Game VS Jon, a long time nemesis. He is going for EoD as in our first game together. Now though it is filled with a lot more scouts and surge, and I play the new TK. Scenario is Control, so it atleast give me the options to sit back and hold the line to avoid surge shenanigans, but only for so long…

Lists below

After scouts!

Most of EoD forces that can scouts up, except skeletons on top left. He sacrifice left flank, while having a heavy right flank with his CS 2 horde and other horde following closely, with Rhas there to give them Me 3. I must hipe to break left flank and centre quickly and hold the right. But two dragons in the centre is a huge deterrent to such plans…

After T1 which I got

I moved up the battleline in the left to threaten the left/centre and pulled back on to right to slow things down. I left an opening between te lines for mutants to get out, but that means he can get in… let see what he does with the many options available. I manged to rout the skeletons on the left, which was a bit lucky, but failed to hex the monolith, which was unlucky. One for one there. I think I would’ve preferred the hex as I got plenty of time left to finish the skeletons. I have no idea of what to expect from Jonathan’s army, but I hope keeping the line (mostly) will save me from the worst he got to offer.

After B1

The Eod army shambles slowly forward, but don’t commit anything. I take this as a sign that I’ve managed to plug all openings so far, or perhaps he is just lulling me into a false sense of safety.

After T2

I didn’t roll high enough WC on impaler horde to reach revenants, or else there would be some combats here. Spiky rolls in shooting phase sees a lot of damage on the revenants, all other attacks failed, but got the weakness through. Hex failed again. Bring hex against EoD they said, it’s the best way to deal with the Monolith they said. Well, still not seeing much of that :smiley:

After B2

He sent his mummies in on the assassin and the phantoms as expected. I was hoping the phantoms would hold, but the banner guy with strider aura ran ahead and tipped the scales. Still the plan is somewhar wirking, but I must push harder on the left/centre.

After T3

Got the WC I needed this turn, so went all in to finish off a revenant horde. The mummies that charged the assassin got flanked, and the mutants also got to play. Still holding the line very good, would probably not be possible in a live game though.

After B3

He goes in with all his big guns. Double wyrm go up against the impalers, but can’t quite punch through their big shields. The strong revenant horde make quick work of the mutants and turn to face the terror. He casts drain life on the assassin, which doesn’t like that one bit and heads for safer territory.

After T4

Counterpunches sees the dangerous revenant horde gone along with one of the wyrms. I could’ve tried to block more things up with my units on the bottom right, but I want to keep them alive to score. He will finally have the openings EoD needs. Let’s see what he does with them.

After B4

Not a great turn for Jon, he picked up the impaler horde, but got the wrong roll on overrun, opening up a flank. Revenants horde fluffed a bit on skiffs that were protected by bloodhex. Rhas went in to block rather than try surge mummies to the flank. I guess I failed to consider that while EoD had a lot of pieces left, most of them were support pieces, so they were not so dangerous as I had imagined.

T5

Another good turn for me, or rather a turn where nothing goes wrong. Most of EoD is gone and I start thinking about final placements for objective when doing reforms.

After B5

He wants to keep playing to train for scenario/tournament play. Even when the game is decided, points can be gained in a tournament setting.

After T6

Got the mummies, so only the characters left of EoD. Chariots still score though, so I spread out to get to most zones. I considered doing a cheeky side-step with impalers after combat, but decided against it.

After B6 (end of game)

Jon chose to save units rather than trying for crazy luck. He rolled up a T7, which will mean I probably can get all the zones, but I will not spend time for that at this point.

Thanks to Jonathon for a good tactical challenge against the ever dangerous EoD. Been a while since we played, and was nice to get a game in with the new TK. I think the win was helped by that I got the time to position perfectly to avoid surge shenanigans. Also the wider frontage of impalers, and having “many” units makes this easier. I don’t know if the hex has a super impact on the list, but it tips the scale here and there and I’ve won every game since that change…

3 Likes

A game against our competing group, on the west coast of Norway. Truls is always nice to play against. Last time I played him live he used rats, this time he is using their (former) masters. Mission is control.

After scouts

Both of us spread out, me more than him. Both hide our chaff. He doesn’t place War engines together, maybe due to the assassin. Assassin scouted up to get T1 charge on the flying overmaster, if I only get that T1.

After T1 to Abyssal Dwarfs.

He gets T1 and do some chip damage to skiffs, fortunately I placed them under La’theal’s protection for stealth. He moves his flyer out of assassin range, and advance up to the edge of the forest on the left flank with his grotesques. The golems takes the high ground in his centre.

After B1

I used skiffs and impalers to protect my caster from the flying char on hill, but that was unnecessary when I shortly after enthralled him off of the hill. The assassin and crone shot away the gargoyles. Cautios advance.

After T2

Fying hero went into the skiffs, and the rest of centre/right flank moved up to take advantage from the disruption in my lines. Grotesques enters the forest, but stays out of my chargerange. Gargoyles are held back to block me up when needed.

After B2

I positioned the skiffs wrong last turn, so the impalers were to be in the overmasters rear. To avoid putting them in a dangerous position, I had to pull back the skiffs and reduce the chanse of routing the overmaster. Failing banechant didn’t help either, so he survived, but got wavered at least. I am still holding back with most of my stuff, as I feel I have more to gain by doing so… Assassin charged halfbreeds to strip them of thunderous and putting another -1 to dmg on them, making them dmg on 6s on my def 6 units. Phantoms are sacrificed to save the skiffs, but they are inspired, so might live if only attacked by one unit. I got hex off on the ironcaster, so he will get badly damaged if he gets his 6 inch surge into my impalers.

After T3

He surprised my assassin by turing the golems and surge them into him, after backing up with the halfbreds. The ironcaster got very hurt by the hex though and took 10 damage, but got healed back to six by the supreme ironcaster. Assassin survived and was fine, even against the stronger assault than expected. Grotesque champion was sacrificed to block up impalers, while the other golem horde moved up the centre. Grotesque hordes also turn to the centre, abondoning the left flank. Gargoyles was sent in to cover their flanks. La’theals stealthy protected fleetwardens from fireball from supreme ironcaster.

After B3

Assassin shrugged off the surprise attack, and charged around the golems to get at the supreme ironcaster. He managed to do the one important damage to shut down spells and flying. Though it might cost him in return. Double charge down hill on golems, did 7 dmg, good start, and with no heals, I might pick them up next turn. Skiffs killed grotesque champ, impalers killed flyer hero. La’theal routed the ironcaster, which led to the halfbreeds being unispired, for a cheeky kill on them by phantoms. Other phantoms went in to chaff up grotesques, while I routes his chaff on the left. All in all a good turn, and I think I am very much ahead in this game now.

After T4

First units of twilight kin to rout. Phantoms gets it, fleetwardens get killed by golems, and assassin gets routed by the supreme ironcaster. Assassin did a good job this game before heading home though, the same can be said for the others as well. Grotesques into terror don’t do much when hitting on 5s, shooting is doing some dmg to the impaler horde.

After B4

TK really brings the hurt this turn, and I rout three hordes. I lock down the supreme ironcaster again, but with all his other stuff routed, it has some more options. His final golem horde face iff against impalers in the front, and he has to hope shooting does something magical in T5.

End of game
After some deliberation, Truls decided to end the game here, which is fair. Again hex played a big role, helping me remove the ironcaster surge threat. Loss of inspiring also saw AD units disappear quicker than expected. Other key things from the game was that my shooting was more effective than his, forcing him to come to me, which gave me the advantage in the chaff game especially. The second turn with the flyer Individual disruptiing my lines was a bit hairy, but after I found a solution to that problem, I felt well incontrol of the game.
Thanks for the game, hope to see you live in January.

4 Likes

Game against Steve and his Goblins. It’s a bit less long-range shooting than last time, but more melee power. Scenario is push w two tokens each. List below.

After deployment and scouts.

I spread wide to not give him an easy run up eother flank wity the tokens. He spread out as well. From his token placemt it seems he plans to push up through the centre and grab the token there on the way. I hope to get mine accross on the right flank, shielded by the builings there.

After T1 to Goblins

Goblins move up carefully, little in the way of shooting, except for putting hex on my crone.

After B1

I combine all my shooting on the goblin king on chariot, hoping for a kill. At least I got a waver. Apart from that I also advance carefully, slightly shifting the weak left flank to centre. Also setting up the terror to charge anything that goes into impalers. Phantoms on right flank begins the moves to get a flanking position.

After T2

He moves carefully up and do some plink damage. None of us have access to healing, so such damage will stick.

After B2

I focus fire on the right flank again and manage to rout the goblin king and the rabble. Phantoms move up to flank the mincer, right flank is soon secure. The left flank pull back or continue to move towards the centre. The centre holds is position. As it turns out, I should’ve pivoted my impaler horde. The wizard war sees his wiz hexed, while my hexed crone sits this one out.

After T3

His flanked mincer holds its position, I suppose to stop the phantoms from seeing other targets past it. Shooting is surprisingly strong this turn and impaler horde goes down even with stealthy, pesky wing-its moved up to shoot them around the shields. The impaler regiment on left flank fared no better and got routed by rabble! Not as consequential all the way over there, though. Groany makes his move, but fail to rattle the navigator. The rest of the centre advance slowly.

After B3

I send in three units to take care of a rabble horde. This will probably make most goblin generals cackle with glee, but at least they got the job done. More importantly, nothing threathens the victorious elves next turn. Navigator pins down the goblin rabble regiment, which in turn pins down the mincer mob behind them. Phantoms goes into mincer flank, and, with the help of crone, routs it. La’theal finish of the wiz. Mutants eats up groany and pull back out of range of counter charges. On the left flank I have a tactical choice with my fleetwardens; pull back to live another turn, or like I did, pin the goblin rabble for another turn. Might not matter in the end, but who knows.

After T4

The fleetwardens on left flank gets obliterated, as was the risk I took. Goblin king, rabble and mincer team up to take down the navigator and his skiff. Mincer mob can’t charge, but positions cleverly to reduce units charging them to a minimum. Goblin shooting does very little this turn. Goblin hordes on the left flank start marching towards the centre. The horde in the centre moves up the field, the game is nearing the end, and they want to get that token across.

After B4 (end of game)

A lot of charges this turn, nearly all my remaining units join in. Phantoms charge wing-its, mainly to block up the rabble hordes behind it. Terror and impaler SB charge the rabble horde with token. Added benefit that the terror now shields impaler from sight of shooting. Mutants charge another goblin king, thos kne on a chariot. Fleetwardens charge down hill at the mincer. Assassin cfwtre the rabble regiment in the centre. Skiffs charge the mincer mob and is backed up by bane chant and a weakness with damage in the flank. I don’t win all the ckmbats, but I do ein tye most important one; mincer mob is routed and I grab a token and remove his most significant hammer. At the loss of the mincer mob, my opponent concedes the game. That seems a fair assessment, and I’ve been no better, conceding two games to the goins earlier after beeing shot to death before doing any real damage myself.

End of game thoughts
I spread out across the line in this scenario to “force” him to do the same. I think that really helped as his army was split in two (also helped by the large central forest). My units can react and “redeploy” quicker once the chips are down (tokens placed), and that really showed in this game. I think I would’ve struggled as I always do against goblins if it not had been for that central forest though. I also changed tactics and saved my phantoms rather than using them as screens for one turn before they get routed.That beeing said, it was still a challenging game, thanks again Steve!

3 Likes

Game against Erasmus and MMU dwarfs. Scenario is loot, lists below.

I got to place the first token, put in the middle on the left, making room for no more there as I prefer to play wide. I got to choose table sides as well. I felt bottom was beetter even with the big building. It can be used as an anchor erly/mid game.

After scouts

Just getting assassin in range for shooting if I get T1. Rangers approach carefulully, not willing to enter the forest yet.

After T1 to TK

He has a lot of shooting, so I cannot avoid all of it, but I do avoid the organ gun at this time. Defensive measures like stealthy or bloodhex is put in place. Moved up slighty across the board and in range of all tokens for next turn. Shooting was a bit disappointing, but to kill the Brocks would be a bit lucky (needeing a 9 once with avrg dmg.)

After B1 to dwarfs

The dwarven line advance carefully, keeping formations tight to protect their flanks.
Note the position of the dwarf lord on large beast. Leaderpoint cleverly in between the two ranger regiments behind. So if I am to go up and snatch the loot token with my terror, I might face a triple charge there.
Defences that was put in place held up against the dwarven shooting. Brocks managed to break the glass shield. I must consider how to deal with them, assassin might not be able to do it himself.

After T2

I wanted that token with my terror, so I set up my casters to help. La’theal was to windblast the fireoil guys and crone to throw weakness at the other. More shooting gets shut down as the phantoms charge the sharpshooters. It is a weird way to use chaff, but as he has few hammers and actually relies on doing some damage before committing, I felt it was an ok choice. Impalers on the hill move back slightly to get out of range of organ gun that moved up. I probably give it too much credit, but I don’t need to risk it at this stage. Left flank holds its position more or less, mutants back out of charge from brock troop.
#UBdice went completely mental this turn. La’theal does 7 hits and 6 dmg on the rangers with her windblast. Skiffs, in return, does 0 dmg, on the other rangers. At least they get weakness on. Hex fails. The same goes for combat. One phantoms routs the sharpshooters, the other fail to do even one dmg. Assassin fail to rout the brocks, but that was a bit dodgy after poor shooting last turn. All in all an ok turn, I rather have assassin rout the brocks than the other swings go my way, but 6 dmg on rangers is nice, puts them close to the edge.

After B2

The dwarfs moves closer on the left flank. The dogs feast on the impalers, and combined with the rest of shooting does 8 dmg. Putting them in danger for whatever will hit them next. Brocks have a good turn and unexpectedly routs the assassin. It was not a good idea to be greedy it seems. Rest of shooting does little. Sharpshooters routs phantoms on a counter charge. His king on large beast circle the terror rather than tangle with it, a wise choice.

After T3

I take less chanses with the brocks on right flank this turn, and skiffs and crone sees them off. It was a bit iffy, but weakened and hindered charge would be less scary.
The terror chose to not charge the obvious target (rangers) , but goes for the organ gun instead. That will put it closer to cebtre objective and out of charge from rangers (If I can pull off windblast again). Fleetwardens on the keft charge the brocks to block them from attacking mutants. Fleetwardens on the right charge the kkng on large beast. I hope to do one damage to strip nimble, but move impalers awkwardly to be safe, just in case. Bottom left stays eerie still, but I get a hex off on the boomstick wielder. Phantoms moves to look at enemy rear, but can’t move far enough to get LOS past sharpshooters. La’theal manages to windblast rangers away from terror, but does 0 dmg this time arohnd, still the most important part of the job is done. Terror routs the organ gun and fleetwardens put dmg on king on large beast, trapping him.

After B3

Three units combine their might to take out the fleetwardens on the left flank. Ironguard moves far up and expose their flank to the Soulbane impaler, but also block the mutants more effectively. Brocks shifts to get out range from phantoms. The other dwarf units are mindful at the threat ar their backs, and only the left sharpshooters are offering up a charge. King on large beast fails to rout the fleetwardens and is at the terror’s mercy. It has none. The windblown rangers make an ordered march to get back in the game. Dwarven shooting is very ineffective this turn, impaler horde stays at 10dmg.

After T4

The terror takes the rear, which means it will again rely on WIndblsdt to be safe. La’theal does the job again, and piyts the rangers out of the fight for a turn with a waver, just the distance wouldn’t be enough. The terror does a massive 13 damage and seals the King’s fate. The skiffs charge the other rangers, also to keep the terror safe, and does a bit of damge. Impaler regiment picks up a loot token, and pivots out of range of shieldbreakers. I am pushed to make a move on the left flank now. Mutants charge IC and routs them. The navigator throws herself in front of the steelbehemoth. Impalers on hill w 10 damage must do something before they go, so they attack some IC and wavers them. The impaler SB attacks the IC to the left to prevent a flank charge on the impaler horde, but this might give brock regiment a charge on the Soulbane… To stop this, phantoms fly uo behind the IC he is fighting, to stop them from backing up and opening up for the brocks to charge. As a bonus, the phantoms are in a good position to be annoying next turn as well. There is a significant amount of damage spread across the remaining dwarven force, so I expect to make a few more routs next turn.

After B4

My opponent geys a good turn here, perhaps deserved after some turns of lackluster shooting. Impaler horde goes down expectedly. Rangers waveres the skiffs, which could endager my tokens if they pick them up next turn. Phantoms are shot off unfortunately. Behemoth pivoted past the navigator to help kill the mutants, didn’t see that coming. That opened up for the brocks to kill the navigator. I’m a bit less confident after this turn, especially if it goes to T7. Atleast his hitty stuff can be krpt at bay for at least one more turn.

After T5

IC Regiment that fought the impaler horde pivoted to get out of impaler range arc, but forgot about the nimble Soulbane at their back and paid the price. The impaler regiment charged the IC the SB was fighting and got a lucky kill. Big difference to get to turn to face rather than getting hit in the flank. La’theal did as she has been all gsme and finally offed her mark. I got weakness on the other rangers, but no eaver unfortunately. Terror only got a waver on shieldbreakers as well, don’t know about the odds there. Impalers with token turn to run off with it. Fleetwardens in forest grabs the token the terror dropped, and turn on bloodhex just in case. It is going to be a tight game if this goes to turn 7, but I think I have control if we stop at 6. Unless his shooting does something spectacular, which they might :wink:

After B5

Impaler regiment goes down under combined assault from brockriders and steel behemoth. Rangers fail to waver skiffs this time, and is now in trouble themselves. Shooting puts more damage on the loot carrying impalers, but not enough to rout them yet.

After T6

I tried to figure out the best way to secure the win, I went with tring to shut down everything. Impalers SB sacrifice himself to the brocks. La’theal gets a waver on the boomstick guy. Terror kills shieldbreakers and backs up to block LOS from one sharpshooters. The other sharpshooters got a weakness, but no dmg for ne roll. I finished off the tangers as well, so at least one token is safe. Now he got one sharpshooters at cover/stealthy/weakness to shoot off my impalers.

After B6

With all the blocking/mitigatipn he gets one damage on the impalers with token, but they hold for now. Impaler SB is routed. His caster heroes line up curiously…

After T7 (end of game)

The terror take the bait fir a possible triple kill, but only kill boomstick guy and roll a 1 for overrun. Still it kills off one dangerous unit. Skiffs position themself to block lod to impals from sharpshooters. La’theal fknish ofg the brock troop, and places herself in such a way that the steelbehemoth cannot get in range of the fleetwardens. Fleetwardens kill some sharpshooters. At the end of my turn I’ve ensured that both my token carriers are 100% safe and we end the game there.

End of game thoughts
The battle plan of deleaying on the left (with my most powerful hammer!) And grab the other tokens worked, but not flawlessly so there was a nailbiter to the end where he had a chanse to kill impalers that were running of with token. Assassin routed erly this game, and I really missed him for the rest of the game. Well played Erasmus and thanks for the game.

5 Likes

Thanks for the game!

My report is here

Now that I have actually faced the new Twilight Kin:

I lost, so obviously they’re… fine, my plan fell apart as soon as the terror hit the table.
I still felt I had a (increasingly slim) shot to draw or win to chase all game, as I would in a similar situation against other armies.

The heroes do a lot of work; doing damage, inspiring and debuffing enemies (weakness or stealthy).
La’theal was particularly effective, casting spells and keeping units stealthy and inspired all game.
She rolled well and the match up was a good situation for her potentially situational abilities though.

Which feels right. Heroes that have done unspeakable things to gain power from The Void driving the army seems on brand.
There are also a bunch of weird units like in nightstalkers, as there should be.

It also feels like Twilight Kin have and rely on some “dirty tricks”, again nicely in theme. It’s good if it’s gotten right, but a misstep will cost you (so they are elves! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
Impalers are De 6+, but only forward, they’re extra susceptible to flanks even against shooting.
Mutants can shread things, but only if they get the charge, they waver easily and don’t hit back as hard (rely on TC)
Most of the army can be stealthy, as long as the heroes are safe.
Most units can be tough, but only for a turn.

It’s an interesting playstyle, plus the lore and theme are translated onto the table nicely.

5 Likes

I am quite late to the party, but that was a great report. It was quite interesting to see the game from both perspectives.

It was also neat to see the new Twilight Kin in action! I haven’t encountered them ever, but they look like a really intriguing army to play now, exploring a lot of complexity with facing (broadsiding Void Skiffs; Impalers with Big Shields, etc). How did they feel to play?

I’ve never seen windblast hit so much! You made really good use of your spells and individuals this game. Well-played and thanks for the report!

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind words.
With the broadside keep in mind thst you only have to have a sliver of the enemy unit in the flank arc, so in most cases the skiffs are avle to shoot and face forwards to their ieft or right. Only rarely was it a hinderance, and sometimes even a benefit. Beeing nimble really helps to get ehere ypu want to be and the angle you want to shoot from.
The big shield is very interesting on a def 4 unit, so extra care must be taken to keep them from getting flanked. It was rarely a problem. On the plus side it can take great advantage of the barkskin spell. But heal or weakness on opponent might still be better options.
For the rest of TK I think there are several options to play them. I prefer playing “tool-box” lists and I think the one I made with TK really fit that description and it is really fun to play, and hopefully against as well.
I was hoping to have them on the table for Norways biggest tournament this weekend, but a perfect storm picked apart all the things that needed to come together for it to happen. I hope to get back in the PBEM and battle reporting game soon though :wink:

3 Likes

About to start a new game with a new list. This TK list is made to be much more tanky and also to test out Mikayel. A bit of an odd piece in this list might be the assassin, but he is my signature character in TK lists since beginning of third edition, so I really want to keep him on board. In the coming games I’ll let my opponents choose which if my two lists to play, so they might alternate between games. The scenario is Invade.

My list

My opponent’s list

After Turn 1 which he got.

He moved up quite carefully, also took good advantage of the hill in the centre which becomes problematic for me. Beast of nature move into a flanking position on the left. No shooting this turn.

After B1

I deployed all impaler hordes to be able to go at the double if I got T1, it was much slower moving now with him taking advantage of first turn. I move up carefully as well, do some light damage and got a waver in. I also threw in the assassin on the hunters to halt the advance of his centaur horde, now stuck behind. I’m using the terror to block LOS to impaler flank, so they at least could advance straight.

After T2

I forgot to look for CoD, which was used to take of my assassin’s shield before combat, he survived at least. The rest of FoN bide their time. Beast keep looking for that juicy flank.

After B2

Roll quite good and remove my damage and dish out a lot of damage, picking up two units and get a waver. Crone and terror block impalers flank, so once again safe from the beast. But for how long? Mikayel run up the centre to provide threat, inspiring and dread. I give him many options to charge my softer targets, but I can do without one or two for a turn, I hope.

After T3

Pegasi go in to block, but I’m not too concerned, I think I can block him in turn. A surprise kill on my crone on left is no good, no more inspiring over there. Assassin got Mindfoged off the table as well, wss also surprised, but should’ve seen it coming. Apart from that nothing scary happened. Scorchwings attacked navigator, putting her out of doing her thing for a turn which is fine. The beast of Nature keep working that flanking angle, I think I can’t avoid it any longer.

After B3

A good round for me, getting all the reasonable routs and a bonus one from the phantoms. Centre impalers got a good WC roll and ran accross the field to rout the wavered Scorchwings, putting them securely in a scoring position as well. Positioning on the right flank ensure that the centaur horde can only fit against the phantoms. I might have some trouble on left flank with AC unicorn and beast in flanking position, but overall it seems to move towards a win for TK.

After T4

Beast of nature got the kill he was looking for. Centaur horde tries to escape their bad situation, but has to expose their flank to Mikayel… nothing much else happens.

After B4

Mikayel did a massive 16dmg to the centaurs, but the low nerve roll meant he still needed the help of phantoms for the rout there. Terror in rear of an infantry unit is a sure kill as well, else I didn’t get too much out of this round, but victory seems ensured.

And yes, we decided to end the game there. A key to winning this game was that the centaur horde never got to charge anything I think. I also had even or good dice for all the important parts of the game, which helps a lot. Invade is also simpler with less units, as I don’t need to spread out, but I did anyway, my units have large footprints.
From this match alone, this new list seems powerful. It’s weakness is fast stuff like the beast of nature, but it is only so much one beast can do. More games must be played to get a good feel for the list and what it can handle.

3 Likes

How do you feel Mikayel did?

1 Like

I think he served his part well this game, throwing inspiring, dread and threat where it was needed. Then getting to rout two units as well earned him his points back for sure.

2 Likes