Monster March! - painting topic

looking good so far @Mikes

Loving the road base on the Polearm unit.

1 Like

I’ve been very industrious. So sorry for spamming this thread.
Firstly what’s better than a war drum? (Apart from a puppy) Answer - 2 war drums!!! Should rally the boyz nicely

6 Likes

And then another bunch of samurai that were 37 years in the painting and now are a regiment and a troop of knights. Thought they deserved a couple of photos!

7 Likes

They look great. Which manufacturer are they from?
I’m wondering where to get elf cavalry from. Seems to be much harder than I ever expected

I have 2 war drums @HouseElf … better stereo effect … what about two wardrums …AND A puppy… now you’re talking.

2 Likes

Going through that nightmare myself. Lots of searching to little effect.

Did a regiment of plastic Mantic Stormwind. The results were good but the miniatures were a whole lot of effort I’m not sure I want to replicate again. Had the same issue with their Undead cavalry a few years ago.

If you find anything good throw up a link. Especially in the light cavalry line.

1 Like

Those are actually old Mantic models @HouseElf . I grabbed a couple of them off ebay about 2 years ago and just now got around to painting them. I’ve been looking for more ever since, but nowadays I don’t see them sold anymore sadly.

I wouldn’t necessarily recommend them either. Don’t take me wrong, I really like the finished models, but they were quite annoying to paint, because of the quality of the cast. Lots of imperfections and some lost detail and the two horse halves never fit right and even with a lot of filing and greenstuff only fit “soso” with gaps and misalignments here and there. If they were plastic, they would be easier to fix/assemble, but those are still full metal horses and riders …

I spent a lot of time painting around imperfections and trying to hide gaps while working on them. :wink:

On the plus side … the armor design and overall look perfectly fits in with the Mantic elf infantry range :slight_smile: … even more so than the newer plastic Stormwind Cav imho.

3 Likes

Thanks @Mikes & @Niall78 , who would ever had thought that something as mainstream as elf cavalry could be so poorly supported? I’ll give the mantic ones a miss based on that.
If my crystal ball had been working properly, I’d have hoovered up GW’s back when they were affordable (around 1990!)

1 Like

@Nav Haha. That’s true. Sadly the bloody goblins stole all the puppies for their army :rage:

1 Like

Vallejo plastic putty was my friend doing the plastic kit. Like I said I actually liked the results but it was a mind melt getting them into shape.

The horse thing carries through on the plastic kit. Maybe they were replicating the old metal miniatures in user experience.

Not as bad as the undead cavalry though. Or maybe I just didn’t do enough filling on those and don’t like the result as much.

1 Like

Dey woz just lyin around, doin nuffin, so we rehoused dem loike!

My Autocorrect battled with me through every word of that sentence :joy:

1 Like

But with the Stormwind plastic horse kit you can at least bend them into shape by dipping the parts into hot water @Niall78 . I found them much easier to assemble than the old metal ones and didn’t even need green stuff. … but I was stubborn and wanted to have the old ones with more cloth and cloaks to paint. :wink:

2 Likes

@HouseElf - I gave up looking for elf cavalry and just kitbashed it! These are made from Fireforge sefrgeant at arms kit & Oathmark elf spare bits - think they work pretty well.

6 Likes

I love the look of the metal ones myself. It’s also my favourite material for miniatures - maybe not with mould slip though.

I have the bits left from four boxes of Oathmark light/standard Elf infantry.

Might just copy your plan Sceleris as it is looks great and fits my army to a tee. :+1:

1 Like

@Sceleris they look good. Not entirely convinced I have the necessary talent for it. But I’d be prepared to give it a go

On ebay I hunted down three chariots to make the first addition to my orc army in 10 years.

I magnetized one of them to be able to put a Krudger on it and my old chariot got a new base to fit the rest of the gang.

Lessons learned: Always mix your new Orc Flesh contrast paint instead of slapping it on straight out the pot. :weary:

8 Likes

My two Goblin Fire Eagle Winggits now complete,

6 Likes

Which eagles are they - LotR ones?