Nav's Tuatha De Danann Mythological War Host: The Herd

at some point i might get a few rats or bunny rabbits and build a couple of warrens beneath the dun fort, in the soil substructure

2 Likes

A troop of Tribal Spears and a regiment of Tribal Warriors for my mythological’De Danann’ Herd army, gradually building up the multiple base diarama of the battle at the hill fort.

8 Likes

Now that i have a few core units completed, it is time to take stock of how the army would look in terms of Kings of War.
A quick look at it on Mantic.easyarmy and i see that i’m light on core units to unlock HQs ect, but already have well over 1000 points.
i opt to convert my last ten warriors into spears, to bulk up the troop into a full regiment.
i will also not bother with two regiments of Gur Panthers (boar and wolves) but instead , just keep the boars, and release the wolves to my Northern Alliance army, with the option of adding goblin riders for use as outsiders if needed.
Therefore :i have
A horde of Spirit walkers (scantily clad warriors with two hand weapons no shields)
A regiment of Tribal Spears (spear and shield mainly)
A regiment of Tribal Warriors (sword and shield)
and a Regiment of Longhorns (elite warriors with mail armour, spear and shield)
Moonfang (The Goddess Morrigan)
a troop of Harpies, (Banshees)
a regiment of Wild Gur Panthers (Wild boars)
Units/models i’ve yet to buy:-
a murder of crows (Woodland critters)
A herd of wild shaggy Highland cattle (Regiment of Centaur Bray Striders)
some Dark Ages Irish warriors 30 warriors + 10 wolfhounds, for 20 more Tribal warriors and 10 slingers for Tribal trappers, plus warhounds for herding cattle and acting as gur panthers to give my heroes duellist .
Victrix Celtic chariot set 3 chariots for regiment of Minotaur Chariots + or Cheiftain on chariot, plus hopefully a few druid and female Boudicca aka Medb /male heroes on foot/in chariots.
i’d be aiming for ideally 2 druids and a high druid, plus at least two chieftains, one in a chariot, and one on foot, plus Moonfang, which should give me plenty of Inspiring leaders, a solid amount of magic, plus some heroes to fight duels.
All in all, that’s around 2200 points, and maintaining the general theme of my Mythological Warhost, while hopefully, having good unit structure and a fast punchy competitive force,

2 Likes

My next challenge: try to include the four legendary treasures of the Tuatha De Danann into equivelant magic items to fit into the army.
The Lia Fáil , the stone of destiny - oracle stone of the kings (Scrying Gem perhaps?)
The Spear of Lugh-the feiry spear : nearest thing would be Diadem of Dragonkind for fireball 8 spells?
Nuada’s Sword of Light- Blade of Slashing/Beaat Slayer
and the Dagda’s Cauldron. …never emptying… that’s a tougher one. His magic harp might be easier… Uaithne as Lute of insatiable darkness

1 Like

11 Likes

i’ve decidd to convert one of the giant eagles into a Beast of Nature with Flying upgrade, as i doudt i’d use two Goblin Winggits that often.
Winged Beast of Nature for my Mythological’De Danann’Herd army: A LOTR Giant Eagle convertion into a Giant Raven. The riskiest part was resculpting the beak to the correct shape. Base colours are now done, dark blues, slate blue and black, with a dark green and then a purple wash to give the feathers a dynamic spectrum of colour. I then highlight in slate blue and dry brush in black once it dried, before a final purple wash to add shimmer

7 Likes

After a final green wash o give it more shimmer in the light.

8 Likes

it still looks black from a distance, but has a splash of colour when tilted to the light and looking up close. Capturing the feather shimmer and the wrinkled, cracked effect of the Raven’s feet and grainy texture on the beak was challenging.

When a brush just isn’t fine enough and you need the delicate caress of a cotton wool bud to add subtle tones of grey, teal green, toquise and blues to the black raven feathers…Getting black feathers just right is harder than I thought… I’ve spent most of the weekend doing washes and dry brushing to build up the colour or dampen it down.

8 Likes

The effort has paid off!
Those tones and texture on the legs and beak look very natural.
Shimmer likeness is there on the wings, also :+1:

1 Like

many thanks Kraygor.

My first 2 Celtic chariots for a troop are now completed for my Mythological ‘De Danann’ Herd army. I considered running them as Centaur Bray Hunters but in the end kept them as Minotaur chariots… In some part because I had already completed the bases for these two and the third. I used one of the chariot drivers as a javelin thrower balancing on the central pole in a suitable heroic pose suitable for legends.

5 Likes

Working on the first of my three De Danann’ warrior Queens’ for my Mythological Herd army. : Ériú will be riding a chariot:

6 Likes

11 Likes

The first druid

6 Likes

Second druid

6 Likes

Good stuff. Who makes the druids?

1 Like

The Victrix Celtic chariots kit comes with 3 druids 3 Boudicca and 8 Celtic warriors plus 6 charioteers

1 Like

A magic cauldron for the three druids to weave their magic potions in. Like Dagda’s healing cauldron: Coire Ansic, it is big enough to fit a dying warrior in to heal him, or feed an army

7 Likes

“Sorry Lads, but Caoimhín’s spirit has passed on, despite our best efforts to save our War Chief…On the bright side though, we did find some fresh meat for this evening’s stew.” The druid declared, always putting a positive spin on bad news…

“Oh… Wait! Blessed be the Gods! Our warchief has made a miraculous recovery! …Vegatable broth anyone?”

2 Likes

Is that cauldron that Slaine has in his comics?

1 Like