Remy77077's Goblins (& Orcs!)

Haha thank you very much @Niall78
Yeah it does seem that thankfully most people like the colours… but I might re-paint some of the green feathers though, as some have said it doesn’t contrast enough with their skin. Which I agree with, even though I tried to make it a very different green, I guess green’s gonna green whatever you do :smiley:

1 Like

They look great. I think goblins should be in the loudest, least matching colours possible. It sums them up for me!
Leave colour coordination to the elves. :joy:

2 Likes

Thank you, very kind of you to say that… and yeah, you have a point about Goblins vs Elvish colour schemes for sure! :grin:

Another new addition and definitely my favourite Mantic model to date…

“We’ve got a flying machine!”

Imgur

What a contrast to the Mincer kit. Maybe the best resin I’ve ever seen, barely any cleanup or mold lines about, didn’t need to heat up any of it to fix it, all fit together so easily. I did fancy doing some conversions on it, but honestly the kit was too nice to change I felt. If I get more Winggits later I will try and make some small additions and changes though to make them different.

11 Likes

That looks really good. I love the detailing on the back and small side wings. I may be borrowing that…
I have to say mine was a bit of a pain to paint: even after washing it didn’t seem to like citadel paints, especially contrast paint. But assembling it was my level of ‘difficulty’ :joy:
Apologies if it’s part of this thread, but is the mincer a nightmare, and am I going to regret not buying a couple of GW’s snotling pump wagons even more than I thought??

1 Like

Hey thank you very much HouseElf :slight_smile:
And please steal and copy my paint scheme ofc, you know what they say about imitation! :joy:

I originally planned to put more detailing on all the wings, but I decided the underneath fins weren’t really visible enough to be worth the extra painting time, and with the side wings they are too different on each side so anything I did looked kinda wrong to me. Darn that ramshackle Goblin engineering eh!? :stuck_out_tongue:
I even painted various logos onto the wings too, but I ended up painting back over them all anyway as I couldn’t find anything I liked the look of - again, I wanted the wings to look similar on each side if I did that. Maybe a single logo on one side would look okay though.

That’s very strange you had painting issues though. I washed mine with warm soapy water as usual with resin stuff, and then spray undercoated it before painting (as I do with any model). I mostly paint with Vallejo paints but I do use some GW stuff too so that shouldn’t be the cause of your issue really. I suspect it’s not enough washing or something to do with your undercoat most likely?

And yeah assembling any resin or metal kit tends to be more of a challenge if you’re not experienced with them I think than the standard plastic sprues. In general the Mantic stuff I’ve got hasn’t been the easiest at all, but thankfully it’s all within my difficulty level as I’ve got many years of working with really difficult & heavy metal models behind me! I did do a youtube search for how to put the Winggit together though and found an excellent video for that thankfully.

As for the Mincer… here was my saga with that model:

All fine in the end! :smiley: But it was definitely more confusing and more difficult than this Winggit.

Btw there are still ways to get hold of Snotling Pump Wagons. Ofc on ebay etc they tend to be very expensive, but there are some recasters I’ve found that do them… not really legal ofc and I wouldn’t normally even mention that, but as it’s OOP anyway and GW, in this case I would personally find it ok, your mileage may vary of course and that’s fine.

Hey Remy - I had similar ideas with logos on the wings. I was thinking the RAF round one might look good, but I left mine out too. Although I’d use transfers, so can revisit that at any stage. Also thought about sticking ‘kill’ insignias on them somewhere, but when I painted something it didn’t really show up against all the brown wood.
Thanks for the link on the mincer. I don’t like the sound of having to heat parts to bend them into place, although I did like Vince’s idea for the mincer mob to have cheerleaders instead of a 3rd one!!
Someone was selling 4 pump wagons on eBay, but I was priced out. Although in hind sight seeing how expensive others are, I should’ve got one.
Are there any other models around that could be used for them instead?

1 Like

Hah yeh I actually had an RAF logo painted at one point too (in my colour scheme though) but it really didn’t look right to me. I think it might be because the ideal place to put a logo in the middle of the wings where it would “normally” go is exactly where there is a big wooden beam.

I’m very new to KoW so I’m not really the best person to answer this, but I have seen people use various monster models as “counts-as” Mincers. For example these Scotia Grendel Wartower monsters:
https://www.shop.scotiagrendel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=2807

These lil buggers took me ages do, had to strip someone else’s paint off some of them first and there were many attempted and abandoned colour schemes too before I settled on this. I’ll use these as a Mawbeast Pack for KoW. I’m waiting for some more magnets to arrive before I can base them up right for KoW though.

Gnashers - right side by Remy77077 (Agoners), on Flickr

5 Likes

Those look perfect for Mawbeasts @Remy77077! And nice natural looking color scheme. :smiley:

Kudos on scraping the paint off too … I had a couple of old Stormind models where I tried that and gave up … no idea what glue and what varnish was used, but it was horrible to get off … and the painting underneath it was of course 3 year old level lol :crazy_face:

1 Like

Thank you so much @Mikes :smiley:
I was trying for a more cave-fungus like colour scheme, but it was so hard to get something I was happy with. Still not 100% happy really, but these ancient models are just such weird shapes there isn’t really any way to make them look properly fungoid - maybe if I’d gone at them with the greenstuff, but I didn’t fancy that here either.

For paint stripping I used the Lukes Aps technique here for metal miniatures:

But I must admit found it much tougher than he seemed to! I think it was partly cos the paint (not from me) was really caked on before, plus models with spray undercoats don’t seem to come off as easily I noticed… but I think the biggest factor perhaps is having a good brush with hard bristles - sadly I didn’t really have anything like that to hand, so I made do with an electric toothbrush head. But even soaking for hours didn’t really compensate for not having the right brush I felt. But it worked out well enough in the end at least (just took waaay longer).

I have only tried to strip models once, and it ended imperfect with rests of paint still stuck in the deepest recesses. I am amazed of people who are able to pull it off. :slight_smile:

1 Like

More happy Goblins!

I’ll put them onto a cav-sized tray as Fleabag Riders for KoW… although they could also pile in to make a bigger Mawbeast Pack too :slight_smile:

Imgur

4 Likes

Put him in the painting thread too :slight_smile: But he also deserves to go here for my own painting log!

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

12 Likes

Not sure if I should post this in the painting thread or here as well. It’s not really Goblins or Orcs but I will use them with them.

From a model that took me weeks to do, to some models that took me just a couple of days! :smiley:

… partly because they were already prepped and undercoated and paint-tested months ago. But I was waiting for some paint to turn up.

Imgur

Imgur

Very simple stuff really, but I’m pretty happy with them (could easily go to town on better highlights and making the crystals look nicer - although they actually look better in lower non-photography lighting tbh!).

Absolutely GREAT models too. Very chonky bois, especially as they are huge lumps of metal, they feel so hefty.
I could easily do a lot with more of these I reckon as the heads and arms are pretty interchangeable and lots of different poses are possible. A bit of converting to the bodies and varied positioning on bases and it would be a lot of variety.

8 Likes

Whilst none of these are “finished” fully yet, you can get a nice preview of some of the things coming for my army here:

Plus lots of painting tips if you’re interested in that :smiley:

5 Likes

Very nice @Remy77077 and I will definitely use your tips when I paint fur again! :blush:

1 Like

Those are some of the best looking painted wolfs I have seen. They look very real.

1 Like

:astonished: :flushed: :blush:

Wow, thank you guys! I appreciate it… I guess this was worth doing all the work to paint, write and photograph then. I’m so glad it’s inspired some people!

The biggest compliment is when people say they look realistic, so thank you @Stonehorse! :smiley:

i love the vibrant colours you have used, and its great to see the Old Skull pass models so well painted. I have to rebase all of my Orcs and Goblins, and strip and repaint some of them like my old spider riders, which were some of the first things i attempted painting myself, rather than getting someone ‘better at art than me’ to do the models for me.

1 Like