September Spring! - Painting Topic

Thanks - I haven’t used baking clay before but I’m getting fed up of the stickiness of Milliput when I roll the stuff out. Might try your mix

1 Like

So … since my tournament is only ~ 2 weeks away and my Drakon Horde so far has exactly 2 Drakons … and I need MMC, so at least 4 (I think) … I had a slight problem, since I need about 2-3 weeks for a single Drakon at my current speed.

The solution … “quick and dirty Drakons!!! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’ll paint another one of these to bring the model count in the horde up to 4, which will work for the tournament … and then continue with painting the new resin Drakons - which look so much more awesome.

Still … in a pinch, those will do for the tourny and it only took me about 2-3 afternoons to finish the first one and the 2nd one is halfway done already too :wink:

These are actually what I planned to do the moment I saw the Leage of Infamy Drakons in the Kickstarter for the first time. (And when I didn’t know about the new KoW resin Drakon riders yet.) I just put a Stormwind rider from the plastic kit on top and voila “Instant Drakon Rider”. Didn’t bother molding a saddle for them, as they really are just an “emergency project” for the tournament and I wanted to spend as little time as possible, while still making them fit in with the army theme.

Still … if anyone wants to do Drakons with different riders, those LoI Drakons might be an option. (Maybe together with the Drakon Lord model, which comes with a separate rider)I certainly find them much better suited than the reaper medium/small sized Dragons that I originally wanted to use.

14 Likes

Halfling poachers

18 Likes

Terrain OK in this thread? We played in the KoW Halpi’s Rift campaign this past weekend, and one of the scenarios called for “Icy Lagoons” so I put these together last week.

20 Likes

Terrain OK in this thread?

all are welcome, lovely looking frosty lake, how did you do the ice?

4 Likes

I happened to see these faux marble and granite sheets at Daiso for $1.50 and got the idea to glaze over them with some very very diluted Talassar Blue and gloss medium. One pack made enough for four terrain pieces.

The surface was a little hydrophobic and came out a bit patchy/streaky, in hindsight I should have hit it with varnish first. Still came out pretty good, and definitely a lot easier than hand painting from scratch.

4 Likes

Thought I’d put in an army shot of my Mongol Herd so far. I’m the slowest painter I know plus I started too many units at once so progress has been real slow. I think I already posted pictures of all here except the tribal spears and tracker.`

Some Lycans and more cav, and a whole bunch of birds to represent harpies. Oh and a leader to combine the tribes and this army will be done! …ish.

20 Likes

Harvester done

19 Likes

As mentioned earlier, I had a little bit of a dilemma with my unfinished Drakon Horde: My slow painting on the one hand and the quickly approaching tournament on the other :sweat_smile:

So my solution was this: LoI Drakons with Stormwind Riders, which paint much quicker than the much more detailed new KoW Resin Drakons - especially with slightly lower painting standards :sweat_smile: - together with some filler bases - all finished now. (Of course I’ll paint all the missing KoW resin Drakons later! :grin: )

… et voila: One “instant” MMC Drakon Horde :wink: Of course I would be happier with 6 fully painted KoW Drakons, … but the LOI ones will do for now and for the tournament and I can for the first time in my life field a fully painted miniature army to boot! :slight_smile:

Still … that horde will look so much cooler once I’m done with the missing 4 big ones … :wink:

25 Likes

I finished my Ironclad (MOMMminiatures) and transformed my Gryph-Hounds(GW) to Mastiffs.

Current painted status of the army (only Sharpshooters are not painted yet)

18 Likes

I’ll be honest, I like how they look right now. I like a little bit of spacing between minis, so you can see what’s on the base. Especially larger pieces.

I’m working on a Mindscreech -

24 Likes

Ornuk’la and the family.

You know, I think I’ve got the start of a decent forces of nature army….

19 Likes

One of my students got me a Dire troll! He’ll be joining my Tzeentch daemons that will eventually be a Nightstalker army.

15 Likes

Hello everyone!

Once again, thanks a lot for your contributions! Great to see so many awesome models!

And now we are in September so for some of you it may mean Autumn. But for a few of those downunder the Spring has just started! I personally have high hopes that it will help me to restart some painting so that I can finally post something in this topic as well!

Because of that, I officially announce that the the title of the topic for the third month in this cycle is going to be
“September Spring!”

Keep up the good work! I am already looking forward to some great photos of your miniatures! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Just a minor update - I finally got the bases in to do the second troop of crossbows.

… bringing me to a full Regiment of these guys. :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Spring is the best time for the forces of nature right?! Here is the FoN warband I painted up for my daughter (and me). Only missing one of the wild companions as my son is painting that and it is still a work in progress…

I tried the theme the whole warband around yellow and green (because, you know, nature…), not entirely sure the salamanders really work but hey ho…

Whilst I am no where near the skills of many on here, I’m fairly happy with the results.

17 Likes

Finished the Abbess, two Elohi to go!

26 Likes

Lovely, especially the windows!

2 Likes

Gah! Yes the windows. Stained glass on such a small area. Do you paint that with a brush of one bristle?? Excellent job to say the least.

3 Likes

It was reasonably easy - a few blobs of colour on white, then do the frames.

3 Likes