Super September- painting topic

My first wargames were Airfix 1/72 plastics mini soldiers and 1/72 tanks with homebrew rules.

The first miniatures I painted I made myself. Prince August lead Nepoleonics (20mm maybe).

Then onto board wargames like Shell Shock, Ambush, Flattop and Advanced Squad Leader.

Then came WFB and 40k and some of the GW boardgames. It was so much easier to get people to play Advanced Heroquest than it was to get them to play ASL. I only stayed with GW for those early golden years though. By the time 3rd edition 40k rolled around I was done with GW. Battletech won the war when it came to mass market gaming and roleplaying things like Twilight 2000 and MegaTraveller took over from the boardgames.

Sorry for the nostalgia on the painting thread but moving the bits of my stuff that was left has stirred my memory bank a bit. It’s great that the smell of Humbrol and turpentine left memories at all. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

My meager work in the little time I had at the painting table lately:

Getting that Battlefield Objective set off my table slowly, but steadily … then back to the Elves next week … when my fiancee has to work, mwahaha :grinning:

8 Likes

Gonna make another regiment of Orc Greataxe :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I did get my innkeeper and his dog, and Ulrik the Barbarian finished…not so sure about the Goblin hero

1 Like

My Innkeep finally in place at the door of his tavern, after some delays getting him

inn8

5 Likes

I’m hoping to finish these knights this month - the start of my Order of the Green Lady army, and my first experiment in underpainting + glazing. Any advice is welcome!

9 Likes

Here is a wip of a giant I 3D printed, its scaled about as tall as the mantic giant so it’s quite big. Planning on a tartan for the cloth and need to do a bit more blending on the skin and haven’t started the base yet. Pleased with the print though, did it on my new Creality 10s Pro v2 that I got a couple of weeks ago.

14 Likes

Hi @Mikes!

Thank you, all is good fortunately, simply much less hobby time these days. But I am not giving up! :slight_smile:

Great to see people posting fantastic models, really inspiring for people like me, who may have not been able to spend much time painting recenty.

Keep them coming!

1 Like

Love that skin tone, really nice clean paint job there!

1 Like

Agree with @Stonehorse, top notch paint on the skin.

1 Like

Hello,

I can finally show some pictures of miniatures I painted :slight_smile: First, something a bit different, since some of you shared great models for other systems:

Armoured Elephants for a Seleucid army for Mortem et Gloriam system. These are 15mm scale models from Xyston Miniatures.

And I returned to painting Storm Wind cavalry, currently working on the third knight (the first on the left) and trying to get a bit of a warmer effect on the “golden” armour.

I greatly enjoy painting these models, even if it takes some time!

Cheers!

13 Likes

Trolls & a mounted magus finished.

8 Likes

Completed my take on Magnilde - group shot with the other Footsore models

6 Likes

A better shield and touch up on Orlaf the Barbarian …plus better light for the pictures

3 Likes

3 Likes

And here’s the painted knights, together with four of their colleagues I painted more than six years ago to form the first Order of the Brotherhood regiment in my prospective army.

View from the front. The new ones are the rightmost three, and the leader.

The right.

Left

And rear of the unit.

Finally, some close-ups of the ones I particularly liked:

I’m quite chuffed with these, to be honest - I think they’re not half bad for a first attempt.

Now the long wait 'till the rest of the army arrives…

10 Likes

Aw man, they are lovely. Charging through the wheat field, banners fluttering! What is that, a bit of carpet?

Thank you!

The wheat field is a cocos doormat I cut up and roughed up a bit.

2 Likes

Love the knights.

@Nav nice - where’s the shield from?

Many thanks . The shield is an old GW Chaos Warrior one, not sure if they still do it on the AoS version

1 Like