Third edition Rumours part 2

Drakon regiments go DOWN 10 points too. So its hardly an increase. Still a very powerful unit.

When is the book due to be released?

Iā€™m curious to know when the book comes out as well, I havenā€™t seen an official launch date.

Dragon Riders are still a powerful unit, but were you expecting anything different? I doubt people will be spamming them as much since theyā€™re irregular now, and as an Elf player myself, Iā€™m kinda happy about that. Sure, palace guard got a horde - itā€™s still a 265pt De 4 unit without Phalanx, so its staying power in combat is objectively bad vs attrition lists or any kind of cavalry. I like the changes overall, Iā€™m curious to see what Elf wizards (or ā€œarchmagesā€) get access to, since I think that might change some things.

Oct 21st I believe

1 Like

2 Likes

Plus:
FB_IMG_1569955387633

1 Like

Palace Guard never had Phalanx. Perhaps you are mixing them up with Sea Guard. The half spear, half archer unit.

I didnā€™t make that very clear, my bad - I meant that, as a 265pt horde with only De 4 and no damage mitigating rules like Phalanx or Ensnare, they are going to go down hard against anything with decent hitting power. Sure, theyā€™ll hit hard, but they have very little staying power in a front line fight.

Iā€™ll still take them - the models are great, and if you can get a charge they will wreck face - but I donā€™t think they are unbalanced or worth complaining about (yet, anywayā€¦ weā€™ll see what else comes to the elven table).

1 Like

Im not thrilled with everything in the previews but we havenā€™t seen the whole picture yet. ( the book)
Just have to wait and see.

1 Like

I still intend to make a tree army at some point so I am glad that the Tree Herder got some love. Curious to see what the distinction between Pathfinder and Strider is in 3rd since it has both.

Pathfinder to make it move quicker through terrain, Strider to make sure it always hits on its melee stat (unless vs ensnare I guess). Not that weird to have both, but a little uncommon, sure.

2 Likes

I mean, is that not how it works in 2E now?

Pathfinder = double move through difficult terrain, unhindered by difficult terrain
Strider = never hindered

Kraken, for example, have strider but not pathfinder, so never hindered but slowed down by difficult terrain. So a unit with both could double move through difficult but never be hindered (by obstacles either).

Iā€™m wondering if they will tweak those in 3rd. Have to see.

1 Like

From the Mantic Blog:

Also pretty much confirmed that Mantic Shield Breakers are happening sooner than later.

2 Likes

Speed 6, yeah! Loss 1 CS and 1 TC though.

So 40 points for 2 def.

I doubt pathfinders and strider are changing, so the same?
Strider canā€™t at the double through terrain, but does work on obstacles.

Youā€™re probably right but until until I see the book, Iā€™m not taking anything for granted.

6 Likes

As you can tell, Iā€™m not a natural YouTube personality! But there are a few bits of info in here that I dont think have been released elsewhere yet.

Just to clarify because itā€™s been asked a few time, Mantic gave us permission to record and release this now. We havenā€™t gone rogue!

1 Like

Can you sum up some of the new changes you encountered?

1 Like

Watching now. Iā€™ll update as I see changes. Accent does make it hard to understand some things.

Elves
archers go to 5+ ranged elite
Spark stone becomes critters call
Dragon Breath goes down to 12 attacks
Archmage buys all spells LB 5

Basilian
Paladin Knights Aegis Shard 10pts
Defenders are * give aura of Elite in Melee
Heavy Arbalast 2 attacks 4+ blast d3
High Paladin on dragon is nimble
Phoenix has radiance of light +1 heal to all within 6ā€ on 75mm base
High Paladin is mighty

All terrain is height 1 + 1 for each inch in height
Hills are usually 3, obstacles are 2
Obstacles stay same
Some changes with cover depending on leader point and if unit is in cover
If you walk into cover and shoot out if it, opponent gets cover

Scenario
each get 5 tokens. Placed face down.
2 worth 0
2 worth 1
1 worth 2
All get turned over on turn 3

Had to pause 25 minutes in Iā€™ll try again later.

Skimmed through the rest, didnā€™t see anything new.

4 Likes