Third edition Rumours part 2

As in, above two-handed weapon Warriors? Assuming that Warriors can take CS(2) still. We’ve seen similar unit options be turned into separate units - see the choppy Riverguard presumably split off from the shooty Riverguard - and plenty of 2E armies were designed with hammer units apart from more line units. Thinking about it, the +1CS/-1Def option feels like a 1E or early design concept that is continuing to be phased out.

In which case it’d be 40 points for +1 Def and +1 CS, which seems right on. But I mean, yay for conjecture.

1 Like

Silverbreeze seem nice. Great harassing unit. Went down 15 points and also now better Melee!

Im a big fan of Empire Pistoliers/ KoM Mounted Scouts with pistols.

So Mounted Scouts should be about 80-90 points since they are Spd 9 Me5, RA5, DE3 not Elite, and 1 less Nerve.
40-50 points seems reasonable for all those perks.(+1 Spd+1 ME +1 DE, +1 RA, +1 Nerve, Elite)

Perhaps Goblin Sniffs are a better comparison. They are 105 points but Vicious, +1 Spd, +1 Me.

90 points seems about right unless Scouts improve also.

Just thinking out loud.

FB_IMG_1569955387633

Just tripped over this while scouring old Mantic Blog posts:

BREAKING NEWS – just been informed the Phoenix will also be flying its way into the Salamanders army for Third Edition.

Fun fact, the Skyraiders in my Sally army are in fact already small phoenixes :wink:

Also this:

The release schedule for these mighty Titans is as follows:

* Frost Giant and Chimera – October
* Kraken, Phoenix and Goblin Slasher – December

Of course, these aren’t the only Titans we’ve got up our massive sleeves and 2020 will see plenty of surprises. I mean, what army could the Hellfane be for?

1 Like
3 Likes

I love Nightstalkers in Vanguard and the minis are great. I never considered them for KoW since I play Undead and they seemed to be fancy undead. I hope they become more unique in 3rd.

I think they are very unique. Manipulation via spells (e.g. enthrall, wind blast) or rules (e.g. dread, mindthirst). With shambling now gone for Nightstalkers, I think they are maybe closer to Northern Alliance (far stretch, but to me NA is best at distracting - which is close to manipulation) then to undead.

Losing shambling is going to help distinguish them from the undead playstyle. Retaining stealth is going to impact on the downgraded shooting aspect of 3rd edition.

Still no word on how Spellcaster works, or did I miss a preview?

1 Like

They also lost 6" to their range attack, going from bows 24" to short bow 18" is going to impact their ability to harass some units while staying out of retaliation range.

My KoM use a lot of Mounted Scouts, so I hope they aren’t changed too much. Going down to short bows, is really going to change my game strategy.

Spell casting levels don’t do anything yet, they’ve been put in for a future expansion.

This question is a little out of left field - anyone heard anything about new Mega Army sets for established factions (specifically Goblins, but also Dwarfs, Elves, etc) for this edition? With the emphasis moving away from goblin spitters, the current goblin Mega Army looks like it would require a pretty substantial investment in metal rabble / sharpstick upgrade packs.

Its been hinted in the video that the Shield Watch would be an upgrade pack for the Palace Guard minis (fantastic idea, I love those minis, probably my favorites in the elf line), so I imagine a lot of those are going to release together, but I can’t find heads or tails of info on any of it.

Simple answer is, I don’t think anyone officially knows.

From snippets on conversations I’ve had with guys from Mantic, they’ve got a pretty hefty Kings of War release schedule for 2020 and beyond so who knows.

First and foremost, I would expect to see models that currently only exist in Vanguard boxes to get their own dedicated regiment boxes.

1 Like

Ronnie shared a page from goblins. Book is printed folks!

5 Likes

I heard that they generally reflect the spell options that a given profile has and will limit which legendary spells can be taken in future COK books.

3 Likes

Hard contender for the best 5-points item :smile:

1 Like

I also like this item. Especially because against f. E. Nightstalker with dread on different units it will be its point worth.

Unless you’re tailoring your list to your opponent every game (which you can’t do in a tournament) it’s as situaional as fire oil.

2 Likes

Shieldwatch are actually already part of the Palace Guard Kit. It comes with halberds, axes, swords, and shields. We thought we’d put more of those to use.

2 Likes

Goblin preview is up. They are a bit weird & quirky. Pretty good boosts tho.

1 Like

Mawpup Launcher:

Blaster Rework:

Winggit:

King:

Wiz (from Mantic Blog):
(Weakness actually went down on the Wiz, making him one of the cheapest sources I’ve seen. Presumably because the army is mostly low Def? Apart from the Trolls, and the Mincers, and the generally lower CS in the game …)

4 Likes