Third edition Rumours

Hopefully he just misspoke when he said it was a “significant” upgrade. Assuming that is the whole of the upgrade, I would disagree with that word being used to describe the shard.

I dont play Basilea so i dont have a dog in this fight…

Some highlights from the recent Four Foot Snake:

• You can’t make your 1" fall back if you’re engaged on multiple sides, so it’s possible to lock down units (I like this, hard to pull off but a cool option)
  • Individuals are either Mighty or Yielding: Mighty works like we’re used to, but Yielding heroes (which will be weaklings like wizards and standard bearers) can be charged right through as if the unit had flying, so no more sacrificing a standard bearer on turn 6 to stall a charge, The necromancer they previewed recently had neither keyword so maybe there’s more to it??
  • Non-flying units that charge off of a hill get Thunderous Charge (1), neat enough I guess
  • Line of sight for hills is a bit changed, if your leader point is on the hill then you ignore it for line of sight but not for the actual terrain effects
  • Elves get a sword that lets them hit on 2s? Brief mention of race-specific upgrades, possibly artifacts
  • Auras are definitely a thing
  • Measuring charge distance is now from the closest point, rather than the leader point. Pretty big buff to infantry hordes, I don’t immediately like this but I’m sure it’s fine
  • Tweaks to cannons to get them on the table?
  • Revenant Cavalry get a horde size!

Exciting stuff, I really like the changes to the 1" bounce back and I’ve been hoping for more faction-specific rules for ages.

5 Likes

This is a great change! Realy hate it when army standards (an armies’ focal point) are sacrificed for just another turn of fighting.

Don’t know how this interferes with charging (can you “push them out of the way”) or do they still prevent units from fighting in the place they stand? but we’ll see when the book is out!

1 Like

They said you don’t move the individual - so it is possible to block, but much harder. And they did say disordered units don’t ignore yielding so if the standard bearer charges and does damage it will block the unit.

I would suspect all individuals are yielding unless they have the Mighty rule - there’s little gained by having needing both to be specified.

1 Like

Yup, being able to heal two damage in your opponents turn is quite handy. Stacking healing from different sources is effective.

Daniel.

1 Like

Phalanx is definately upgraded.

Daniel.

2 Likes

I’m a fan of warlord-class heroes, like Clan Lords or Chieftains or War Chiefs or Dark Lords or Naiad Centurions or Warlords, those inspiring pretty fighty, pretty tough heroes who nobody takes unless they’re a) blenders with high speed (typically mounted), b) De 6 (with fly or teleported), or c) in a formation. I like these because they actually feel like generals, not just another tool, and not just an inspiring caddie. It’s awesome to see them get a None Shall Pass style rule that sets them apart from shlub heroes a little more.

Similarly you’ve got those uninspiring fighty heroes, who even I never look at. Making them Mighty gives them a reason to exist, besides popping a few wounds for a cheap price.

Sure, but a one-use item that heals one point of damage after a successful roll? I guess if it’s a freebie…

I’m hoping the second tier fighters also get good access to the new auras. I think the fact that only foot necromancers get access to their aura is a good sign and I’m pleased that they’re seem to be trying hard to make every option worthwhile.

1 Like

Thanks Darklord! My pike and spear men are happy to stick opponents with their pointy sticks.

Eagerly awaiting the next preview video. I think they said Empire of Dust. Then from the # comments I’d guess Dwarves or Orcs. Two a week soon til launch. Awesome.

1 Like

It’s Empire of Dust (anytime now) then Orcs. I’m as surprised as Kyle that no one is really asking for Northern Alliance.

1 Like
3 Likes

That’s nice but WTF. Where can you get Skeleton crossbowmen in units? Even skeleton chariots are not going to be cheap/easy. Unless Mantic plans to fill out the range.

Im thinking the Undead balefire catapult will be same/similar to Empire of Dusts. I wonder if Undead will still get a Cursed Pharaoh and Mummies- or if they will be exclusive to Dust now.

Hot Take: I feel like they should be exclusive, it was always weird that Undead got them too (obviously because they were first and a mixed bag that deserves to be focused in a bit now)

I’ll have a think on xbow skellies. The ones I’ve seen have been conversions of GW skellies with scratchbuilt or dark elf xbows.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. That Undead were first so were a bit of a ‘catch-all’ . Im looking forward to seeing Orcs on Thursday, then hopefully Dwarves soon.

Its going to be fun to see Jessie do the Ogres too.

I do like Troop chariots, they seem like a good method to get surge flanks with their smaller base size.

Shobik is easier to use now. Never not been good.

Monolith looks interesting if it can move and cast spells and inspire. pricy though. 75mm base thats height 6. hide your dragon?

Irregular chariots - disappointing it leads to that. But seems like it is necessary to keep balance. Going backwards on a cool chariot army theme… Looks like Ill have to look to unlocks from Cav units and put chariots in horse formations with spears. Sounds fine I guess. Shooting looks gimped now anyway. Literally took the nerfbat to them. Legion can move and shoot 18" now, yet might do 1 wound to def 5. Thats ridiculous A horde was doing 1.8 and wasn’t irregular. I get that all chariots are likely going to be irregular now. but jezze.

Crossbow skeletons? thats fine.
“Reload” rule encouraged camping in the deployment zone. “pot shot” tease on a new rule… yay no substance again. 4 more weeks and we get to know what that’s about.

I think i’ll skip the rest and just wait for the book. I wish these teasers were doing something for positive for me.

It’s a mixed bag. Dude gets excited about some stuff that seems underwhelming to me but maybe it makes sense as a whole.

It’s minor but I was really hoping to get a Melee stat on the Balefire Catapults. Every now and again, I have mine survive getting charged and the thought of the beleaguered crew coming back and drawing blood on the unit aggressing them is super fun for me.

1 Like

I’m curious if Revenant Cavalry will be a thing if chariots go Irregular. Anything would be better than regular skeleton cavalry.

I’m just hoping Enslaved Guardians don’t take a hit. I like Me 3+ from the last CoK, and I am printing up a bunch of models for them and have some conversions planned.

The monolith being able to Surge any unit within 24” without needing los is pretty neat. I have an old Armorcast Skeleton pillar thing that would fit in with my army theme.

5 Likes