Trident Realms in 3.0

Dambusters must be up for something, even if it’s just upping their attaks. I think they could revisit all of the sticky tongue units, both in damage output but the special rule itself, with its tiny range and number of dice.

Wyrmriders were already buffed and I think have potential (if I still don’t like them) and Nokken seem legitimately good, but passed over to afford monsters / titans or in direct competition with Tidal Swarms.

1 Like

Currently running Wyrmriders with brew of haste, and tentatively happy with them. Alongside the Thuul formation, a Kraken, and the Boots of Levitation/Trident of the Drowned Seas Centurion, it’s quite a fast list! I’m not convinced it’s especially good, but it’s been fun to play so far.

I think Nokken were quite a good value shooting platform a year or two ago, but the game has kinda left them behind I’d argue. Things like Night Raiders and Pack Hunters can really overshadow them as short-ranged, disposable shooting units. I’d like to see more Waterbound synergy in the list.

1 Like

@Boss_Salvage Dambusters could have their special rules changed, cost recuded or attacked upped. I would like either recue in cost or more useful special rules as Sticky tongue is super situational. WRs and Nokken - I rarely see WRs and the only time I have seen Nokken was then I took them :stuck_out_tongue: Even if they are ok they are not something players want to use… For a reason.

The #1 reason I don’t take Nokken is because I have a Salamander army loaded with Ember Sprites :stuck_out_tongue: And I try to have my different armies have different archetypes going on. Ember Sprites are probably my favorite unit in the game - comparing the two just now, I’d say Nokken are simply better. Sprites shoot fractionally better but Nokken are far more survivable, especially in combat.

Damn y’all, now I’m wondering if I should make a Nokken carpet spam list :sweat_drops:

2 Likes

I was using Nokken in WE list BUT WEs are not good enough to be a theme list foundation. If only they had Tsunami formation (again, water army!).

1 Like

Yeah I don’t think I’d bother to include Water Elementals in a list with Nokken, or even Surge for that matter. They are 100% a shooting unit as far as I’m concerned.

Finally finishing my 2 regiments (4 Troops) of naiad heartpiercers. Love those models but It takes a lot of time to paint… It took a lot of time.

10 Likes

I always disliked the Naiads as a miniature. They are very delicate, and fiddley to make, so my own Ice Naiad probably didn’t get the TLC they deserved, but your ones look really well. .

Thanks! I like they are very gentle. Great poses too.

It just takes a lot of time to paint. I am half way through adding water and glueing leaves to the base. Should be ready by the end of the week. And I will take proper pictures. With few extra naiad Heroes I did and I really like. Centurion especially (took more time to paint him than a regular naiad).

3 Likes

Took 1st place Battle (2nd overall) at Bay of Kings this weekend. It was a 1995 tournament, but the room was about half Masters players, so some tough competition. I definitely had some good dice luck, and the other contender for 1st had some terrible luck in his last game, so it’s not like I dominated or anything. My list was:

Naiad Ensnarers (Horde) 230
Depth Horrors (Horde) 185
Depth Horrors (Horde) 185
Knucker 150
Knucker 150
Coral Giant 215
Naiad Centurion 115
- Boots of the Seven Leagues 30
- Trident of the Drowned Sea [1] (Range 12", Piercing (1), Ra 3+, Units that suffer damage are Disordered) 25
Depth Horror Eternal 115
- Blade of Slashing 5
Thuul Aquamage 90
- Sacred Horn 15
- Rising Tides [1] - Aura (Wild Charge (+1)) 15
- Library Veil of Shadows [1](3) 30
The Hidden Ones [1] (Formation) 0
Thuul (F) (Regiment) 170
Thuul (F) (Regiment) 170
Thuul Mythican (F) 90
- Gnome-Glass Shield 10
-------------------------
Total Unit Strength: 20
Total Units: 12
Target Points: 1995
Core (Target%): 1995 (100%)

Aside from the Ensnarers (which have my coolest basing and really elevate the whole army’s aesthetic) I really like the list. Depth Horrors are still good budget fighters, the formation is fantastic, we all love Knuckers, and the Coral Giant provides essential hitting power. The Boots of Levitation + Trident of the Drowned Seas Centurion is an incredible disruption piece, and the 9" Wild Charge aura on the Aquamage is sooo strong. Spd 8 cavalry not being able to guarantee out-charging Thuul, Depth Horrors being faster than Elves and Ogres, I can’t tell you how many times that 1" extra charge range has given me the advantage in engagement. Icy Breath also makes a serious contribution in probably half of my games, once the forces are thinned out and units are wounded.

Ensnarers are probably ok generally, but they’re sure slow, do lousy damage, and just aren’t dependably tough enough to rely on in my experience. I’d love to put Barkskin back in the list, but I don’t know where: I’ve tried a second Aquamage, and although I love having it, four individuals leaves me insanely low on unit strength; the Mythican can take it, but it’s such a personally strong piece that it can become really tough to stay out of combat to cast it; I haven’t tried it WITH Veil of Shadows on the single Aquamage, that might be worth trying. Scorched Earth is also fantastic with Ensnare, but suffers from the same problem.

I’ve got a 2300pt tournament coming up in a couple weeks, not quite sure what I’ll take there. Maybe I’ll try to support the Ensnarers a little better so I can justify bringing them.

6 Likes

I like the double 9" aura aquamage.

Cool list. I really like naiads but painting 30+ naiads seems unlikely :slight_smile:

1 Like

What changes You guys anticipate in 3.5?

From what I already read I assume:

• Leviathan Banes,
2 Likes

Congrats on the placing! Always happy to see Trident do well, particularly as it feels like an under represented faction at this point in the Clash pack. List is obviously solid, strong ‘Trident Good Stuff’ with a couple toolbox individuals. Boots on the Trident is neat, I’ve been running mine with Axe but I think I could tear into my list and afford the extra 15 points for +6" of disorder :thinking:

EDIT: Also the Heartpiercers look amazing!

2 Likes

I assume everything they attempted to change but didn’t work out. Like the Siren. Maybe reduce wyrmriders by a little bit but I know a local masters player has had decent success with them. I doubt my list changes but always happy to find something new. What else do you know….?

1 Like

And hopefully gladestalkers just stop being a problem cause the rumored 10 point increase won’t be enough

I’ve played 6-8 games with Wyrmriders with brew of haste, and I really like them, but it’s tough to say whether they’re worth 275pts. Dambusters are kinda in the same boat, clearly a powerful unit, but who’s got the points. I’d like to see Ensnarers get a little stronger, but honestly they’re sooooo good against inexperienced players that if they got any better they might turn new players off of the game!

Kraken could use a little love. Its threat range is incredible, but I just don’t think it holds up against the Coral Giant (which I love) right now. I’d also love to see the Trident King get something, Very Inspiring just isn’t worth much in the modern era of Inspiring Thuul and Depth Horror heroes.

New Host Shadowbeast looks fantastic on the Mythican in the Thuul formation, similar expected value to Bane Chant, but can do it while fighting.

3 Likes

I really want a valid cavalry… Wyrmriders are sometimes being used but rarely in a competetive list I rank them as łow as Dambusters.

BTW
My finished Heartpiercers

7 Likes

Congrats Luke! That looked like a great event.

2 Likes

This is the list I plan to use next weekend in a local tournament. I am excited especially to try my full Mantic Knucker and DH. And Heartpiercers of course! Building full Mantic army like TR is super fun.

I might even drop the tidal swarm to get Boots of Levitation on that Centurion. The extra board control is soooo nice.