Trident Realms in 3.0

Did the math (still waiting for 2 tables to play as we have a 2-3 days per round) and it looks like that is the case. I think I have 1 point more than next player can get if he take a 20:0 victory.

https://tabletop.to/turniej-o-korone-krola-vira

1 Like

Congratulations on the victory anyway - and on winning the tourney if it turns out you came top (as seems likely). There seems to be more hate than love out there for TR in 3rd edition, so winning a tourney with a list that isn’t just Depth Horror spam is quite an achievement!

1 Like

I guess I have surprised everyone with my list.

I would say there is a good reason why people complain. We are almost there with TR list but there is always something missing. I love the direction 3.o changes took but I am disappointed with execution. Or rather… Lack of confidence in changes they did. That is why there is so many over-costed things. Like author were afraid they did too much and wanted to balance out those changes.

Dambusters and enthral are a Good examples. I have 2 regiments. And I have used their Enthral ONCE. Shot zombies to deal 2 damage. It is so random and so unreliable I do not even plan around it. I might open a flank one day with it but it is not a “part of the plan”. Charging with them is almost always better than rolling 3 dice.

Same with their regen. 6+ on a 12/14 is… Fun. Unexpected bonus that happens sometimes.

DH are solid unit. Best unlocking unit we have (which is a BIG part of their success). We have one expensive unlocking infantry horde and most regiments does not unlock. We are left with infantry hordes. Elementals are unpopular for a reason. Gigas require a specific build. We are left with horrors. They unlock and deal damage which is not something we can ignore. They are not OP, they are just the best what we have.

I would love to try my list (the one I play recently) with Thuul instead of DHs but… I can not unlock 2 monsters and 3 supporting heroes. So a Mythican caster supporting Water theme is just to hard to use.

2 Likes

I am not really playing TR at the moment, but I have had one or two friendly games and have come up with a different take on a 2K list. I am not adding new models to the army, so am limited to units that I have already assembled, painted and was using in 2nd edition (I first took TR to Clash of Kings UK in 2017).

My version goes like this:
Ensnarers horde, Hammer of Measured Force
Ensnarers horde, Brew of Strength
Treeleapers troop, Poison Frog
Treeleapers troop, Poison Frog
Tidal Swarm regiment
Tidal Swarm regiment
Tidal Swarm regiment
Depth Horrors horde
Depth Horrors horde
Knucker
Knucker
Depth Horror Eternal
Naiad Envoy, Bastion, Horn of Ocean’s Fury
Eckter

1 Like

I think you have hit the nail on the head here. The changes in 3rd ed is overall good, I think. It just needs a bit of refinement.

I love your army btw, actually really keen to try that list out myself. I looked at it and thought to myself, I should try elemental + thuul list, seems like some nice synergies between them. Didn’t really think of the unlocking issues it might cause.

Oh and congratulations on your victory! Even if by some miracle (or disaster, I suppose) you don’t end on top, ending second is still a major achievement, and the fact that you are there without DH spam just make is all the sweeter.

1 Like

Elementals should so a thing in TR, this is water army after all. I will try to weak it toward thuul+WE. Will post it when I came up with how to tweak that I play right now.

Unlocks is a big thing in TR. Cheapest unlocks are Thuul and Naiad regiments. Naiads are bad in regs so Thuul are the cheapest but their unlocks are limited. Naiad hordes are the only infantry “full unlock” option but they are not cheap. So… Yeah.

Ok thuul version.

+ INF +

Thuul (20) Regiment [3 US, 160 pts]

Thuul (20) Regiment [3 US, 165 pts]: 05 - Staying Stone

Thuul (20) Regiment [3 US, 180 pts]: 20 - Hammer of Measured Force

+ SWA +

Nokken* (06) Horde [1 US, 130 pts]

+ LRG INF +

Water Elementals (06) Horde [3 US, 260 pts]: 40 - Wine of Elvenkind

+ LRG CAV +

Riverguard Dambusters (03) Regiment [2 US, 160 pts]: Poison Frog

Riverguard Dambusters (03) Regiment [2 US, 155 pts]

+ MON: You MUST Manually Validate Unlocks +

Greater Water Elemental [1 US, 180 pts]

+ HERO: You MUST Manually Validate Unlocks +

Eckter [1] [165 pts]

Thuul Aquamage [135 pts]: 15 - Sacred Horn, Rising Tides [1], Surge (8), sub, Weakness (2)

Thuul Mythican [130 pts]: 10 - Conjurer’s Staff, Bane Chant (2), Surge (6)

1 Like

Ok. Another UB2 tournament on a horizon. 2300 points.

I would like to continue the WE theme list by adding 2 missing pieces. 2nd Weakness and a BC spell. First comes from a Siren (with a Drain Life and Stuff to buff her Enthral and Drain Life to (6) and (7) and to make Weakness more likely to hit). Bane Chant is from an Envoy as I would need 3 inspiring sources to cover most of my list (which seems to be important in a grindy list like this) and only envoys could help with that.

I have also added some more shooting as I believe 2 Nokken (or a Nokken and Trident King) with 25-30 shots a turn can deal a lot of damage and open enemy lines easier than a single horde. Aquamage got a Horn as I find WC aura very helpful in several situations and

• SWARMS

• LARGE INF

Depth Horrors (06) Horde [3 US, 185 pts]

Depth Horrors (06) Horde [3 US, 185 pts]

Water Elementals (06) Horde [3 US, 260 pts]: 40 - Wine of Elvenkind

Water Elementals (06) Horde [3 US, 225 pts]: 05 - Healing Brew

• LARGE CAV

• MONSTERS

• HEROES

Eckter [1] [165 pts]

Naiad Envoy [80 pts]: 25 - Lute of Insatiable Darkness

Siren [135 pts]: 10 - Conjurer’s Staff, Drain Life (6), Weakness (2)

Thuul Aquamage [135 pts]: 15 - Sacred Horn, Rising Tides [1], Surge (8), sub, Weakness (2)

1 Like