Uncharted Empires

i wonder what KoM gained in the two unit slots that combining spears and pikes into a single unit opened up.
i don’t think the assassin would count… KoM was pretty low on heros and characters to start with, gaining an extra would just bring them up to par. but loosing two of the core infantry unit options would need filling in.

Mounted scouts got a Nerve boost. Used to be 9/11, now 10/12. They can also be fielded in Regiments, which helps… But dropping 6" on their range attacks, is going to hurt.

Very odd that a unit that is mainly taken for ranged harassment is somehow better in melee than shooting.

Oh well, it is what it is.

1 Like

I use mounted scouts as pistoliers. So in 2nd I took the range drop to 12 but gained Piercing. 100 points.

In 3rd I’m looking at better stats , a bit more range and 115 points a troop.
They seem a cross between the 2nd edition pistoliers and carbineers.
Ill take it.

Hopefully ill get the points somewhere else since infantry costs seem to be dropping.

Im waiting to see if Beasts of War are still there or how they changed. I’d like to use Steam Tanks.

My army is quasi- Empire Landsknecht themed.
Pikes, Zweihanders, Halberdiers, Arquebusiers, Mounted Pistoliers, artillery, knights and tanks.

1 Like

I started to watch the video slightly sceptical as a result of these posts. The first two unit reveals confirmed my feelings as our infantry remains exactly the same as it was in 2nd edition, while in most other armies infantry either got cheaper or better.

Then I realised it was never our infantry that was a problem. (see my analysis on 2nd edition KoM infantry here) . Our infantry was always in a good spot; it was other parts of our army that needed some love.

And love they got. 115 points for pistolier mounted scouts that also can exploit flanks? Yes, please. I was at first a bit disappointed at the fanatics as they had less attacks than other armies’ counterparts, but then I saw the point cost. 145 points for a melee 3+/cs(1)/15 attack unit, yes please! The general on winged beast is a unit that you actually want to take now! 7 attacks @ CS 2/TC1 and less than 200 points? I’d take 2 any day of the week now.

Switch over to league of Rhordia and things even got better. Just ditch the halflings (hate-em) and use alternative light cavalry models for your halfling knights. Mv8, nimble, TC1 cavalry for 150 points? Yes, thanks! Add brew of strength/bane chant and you got a hitter unlike many others.

Pikemen seem realy decent now too. a 13/15 def 4+ with phalanx and ensnare is realy hard to shift as you’ll need an melee 3+ infantry unit with a lot of attacks to reliably remove it in one go. And it’s 150-ish points, no more. I can see a battle line of these guys working really well. The Perry twins will get some more orders from me if things will work out.

The honour guard being affordable these days is a good change. The change from 24 to 18 attacks hurt, but we still get CS(1), melee 3+ with more nerve than a knight regiment at 40-ish points more.

The battle shrine is indeed a must-have. 150 points for lightning (6) and rally (2) is just too good to drop. height 5 too is great as it can hide behind infantry without giving cover for its lightning barrage.

I just hope the League list doesn’t lose all the KoM infantry in favour of halflings.

And this is all not even considering war machines. I wasn’t particulary impressed with dwarven cannon/organ guns, but maybe KoM guns will be more efficient.

2 Likes

Im just going to look at the bright side. My pistoliers were 100 points. Now they are 115 but have 18 range and Me4

Some good points there @Vince, the KoM list has always been the most flexible and covers such a large scope that it is very hard to balance.

Rolling spear and Pike into one unit has given the Pikes a boost as they now have Def 4+ as standard, shame they lost Elite, but for the price, they really are formidable. I haven’t got the new rulebook yet, so I haven’t been able to see other army options, but I doubt anything has Phalanx and Ensnare. It really gives them some great defence.

The Perry Twins miniatures are wonderful for an affordable alternative to GW’s Empire.

1 Like

News!

2 Likes

Anybody see any new Twilight kin models from Mantic?

Bokswraiths = I don’t need to rebase my Hunters of the Wild after all!!! Hallelujah!

1 Like

Oh yes! I am so excited for these twilight kin!

Love the faction upgrade of +2 lifeleach!
Drain life has been one of my favourite spells for quite some time, so that summoner looks amazing in my opinion.

3 Likes

Could be dumb question, but what is the difference between theme lists and master lists? If Varangur are a theme list alongside Sylvan Kin, I am not really sure what makes a theme list, which sounds like an alternate list or an expansion to an existing list, and what makes a master list

I could be wrong but…
The Theme lists take certain units from the Master list, then add a few unique units of their own.

1 Like

What Bloodaxe said. It is so they don’t have to waste pages repeating the same info. Sylvan list will probably have a lot of the elf list minus Drakons and dragons, but will have other units instead.

That’s what I assumed, but then what theme list is the Varangur, for example? Kingdoms of Men?

Northern Alliance i beleive. which makes sense given the history… the Alliance and the Varangur are both composed of the human tribes of the northan lands. the alliance are the ones that followed the elf mage and joined a union of men, elves, dwarves, and others to build a new civilized nation in the north, while the varangur are the ones that were attracted to dark power and joined together to create a brutal raiding society.

3 Likes

Varangur is a Theme list from their Master list- Northern alliance. I think they mentioned they might have some of the same units- just with a different name- instead of Dire Fang Riders they are called something else- but stats are the same. Then the Varangur would have other units in their list not in the Northern list.

1 Like

This is what was listed for Varangur in the preview:

Masterlist:
Human Clansmen(Bloodsworn)
Huscarls(Sons of Korgaan)
Snow Trolls(Cave Trolls)
Tundra wolves
Frostfang cavalry(Direfang rider)
Cavern Dweller
Snow Foxes*
Lord on Frostfang(Chieftain on Direfang)
Frost Giant
Thegn on Frostfang
Skald
Lord on Chimera
Snow Troll Prime

Theme List Units:
Draugr
Reavers
Night Raiders*
The Fallen*
Mounted Sons of Korgaan
Horse Raiders*
Jabberwock
Magus Conclave
Cursed Sons
Lord
Thegn
Magus
Magnhilde of the Fallen[1]

What stands out for me is the Draugr and the absence of Warband and Thralls. Draugr are undead monsters from actual Norse mythology, So it will be interesting too see what they will be in KoW.

1 Like

The other point which got mentioned was that Themed list units can’t be used as allies - not seen anything explicitly confirming that, but given that some units may switch irregular/regular when Themed would see reasonable.

iirc it was mentioned in the first video. also, you cannot use a theme’s core list as an ally. so no “Rhordia with kingdoms of men allies”

which is likely for the same reasons as the “no theme list as allies”… to minimize the degree of minmaxing you can do with an army.