Uncharted Empires

But you can use theme lists WITH allies, right? So Varangur with Abyssals is legal (If unfluffy)?

Correct, as far as I know.

Free dwarfs and salamanders:

1 Like

Bonkers attak numbers on those Tyrants + CLOFD! Hitting on 4+ is swinging af but 30+ attaks is nuts.

RELATED: Do want Mantic to make that Tyrant sketch we saw a reality :wink:

1 Like

Lizards have better Iron Guard then Dwarfs.
Sallies looking stronger in 3rd.

Given that a number of other similarly ā€˜hittyā€™ units dropped attacks, but went from me4+ to me3+, this still looks fun - strider/sharpness look go-to items.

Iā€™ve got a bit different take. I feel like ive seen these a bit so Im not as surprised perhaps. A horde unit with 30 Att for Sallies is new for V3 and thats cool. We can see units like Axs in Orcs as reference that have about the same points per damage ratio. I think they are pretting good for the points shown in the chart below.

Yeah, the Ceremonial guard is really good points spent for damage. Itā€™s the delivery thatā€™s hard. They are slow and often need a shield not to be hit first by faster hammers. Also their size makes them challenging to use without the pathfinder item.

Second section is damage vs. Def 5 targets when in cover. Just sayin, That extra item points for pathfinder is an autotake as the points per damage goes from amazing to average.

I feel I would go for a unit like this if I wanted a strong anvil in the center to hold an objective. Running into tables with woods or ruins in the center of the table will make it hard to charge targets without pathfinder and Armies with Ensnare like Trident camping in the woods would be hammer hard to make use of this unit with its points strength.

Another Mastercrafted preview, Brothermark and Green lady this time:

4 Likes

Villein Bowmen De3 w Phalanxe Me6ā€¦meh.
They lost Piercing from 2nd. Piercing made them decent. The Bowmen were a complaint many times on the FB Brotherhood forum. ā€¦but on deaf ears.
Yeahā€¦I knowā€¦they play tested it right?
The rest of Preview looks ok. Just the Bowmen stood out to me at first glance.

They also lost Reloadā€¦ so at least they can now move and shoot, just hitting on a 6 with 8/10/20 attacks.

Phalanx is handy, but with Defence 3+ it isnā€™t really going to keep them alive for that much longer.

Getting the loud and clear message from Manticā€¦ ā€˜Donā€™t take shooting!ā€™

At this point Iā€™m tempted to just stick with 2nd edition or jump over to Dragon Rampant for my go to fantasy system.

2 Likes

Ahā€¦good catch. I missed reload. I still dont think they are a unit to get excited about .

Ill have to check out Dragon Rampantā€¦by Osprey right?

Aye, a very model flexible system. Can use ā€˜reduced model countā€™ to have less models represent the standard unit size, which is 12 for Infantry, and 6 for Cavalry.

The system has one list that people can add upgrades to make them suit their fantasy elements.

1 Like

To be fair they are still regular, cheap and decent US for something to stick in the backfield.

Shooting has become an aid to combat units, rather than a means to do it on its own.

Had plenty of Breton models but never felt inclined to play brotherhood - the split actually makes me think about putting a few extra themed units together.

3 Likes

Rats are up:

3 Likes

Ratkin

Ratkin Slaves

From what Iā€™ve seen, many of those Ratkin Slave profiles are essentially the same or very close to the Ratkin ones (re: runners, impaler, etc)

3 Likes

The " last breath " rule was taken directly from Warhammer Skaven Slaves " cornered rats".
I think Mantic should keep trying to make their Ratkin different than Skaven.

The Last Breath is like the coolest rule, reminded me much more of ā€œThe Crystal Pendant of Retributionā€ from the hit game Kings of War, but I can see what youā€™re saying :wink: :wink: :wink:

Iā€™ll vaguely say that the new Ratkin list is heavily influenced by the Veer-Myn line, as opposed to the 2E Ratkin list which was heavily influenced by the Skaven line. Like, Skaven players are going to either need to do some converting, some new modeling or some heavy handwaving of units not quite matching what they do in 3E. (A good thing, IMO, and makes me look forward to Mantic-based Ratkin armies, rather than all the Skaven ones.)

EDIT: Also a fun fact speaking of Warhams, Alessio wrote the 6E Skaven book (and the conspiracy theory was that he made it as broken as possible because he played Skaven)

3 Likes

I understand that originally the Ratkin list was created to allow Skaven players to try Kings of War.
Id just like them to keep coming up with more of their own unique ideas to make it their own. Iā€™ve seen some of that - id like to see more.
So far , Uncharted Empires is looking like a very cool book.

I agree totally with your views on Skaven- Ratkin.

1 Like

These slaves are just too cool! :slight_smile:

Well there are certain fantasy tropes that ā€œhaveā€ to be in so that the game is more approachable, which I think is a good thing. 3E has made some good moves towards being distinct from the old game and weā€™ve only seen very few units from Ratkin so far, so Iā€™m thinking that weā€™ll see some interesting surprises yet!

1 Like