Tales of the Fool's Hold

Greetings!
Have you heard of the Fool’s Hold? I’ll be recounting some of their battles here.

If you haven’t heard of them you can read about who The Fool’s are here .
The short of it is that they mine fool’s gold. Which is considered embarrassing for dwarfs, by those who think The Fools thought it was gold when they set out to start their hold. Which has led to The Fools being taken less seriously than they deserve.
Those who are better informed know that fool’s gold contains sulphur, which The Fools use to make gunpowder.
This gunpowder is traded with Golloch’s Empire in return for arms and protection.

I do battle reports for games that I play on Universal Battle (it’s easier to get pictures and record things), which are all PBEM currently due to schedule. You can have a look at the actual models here though.
I have a set of battle reports that I took as formative for my backstory here and The Fool’s Hold has had the honour of battling @Swordmaster’s Outcasts.

The basic list is as follows, it varies slightly sometimes, but I take the core for any point level:

The Fool’s Hold[1995 / 1995]
~ List Valid ~

Dwarfs [1995]

Ironclad (Infantry) Regiment (20) [125] - Throwing Mastiff [15]
Shieldbreakers (Infantry) Regiment (20) [125]
Rangers* (Infantry) Regiment (20) [185] - Fire Oil [5]
Rangers* (Infantry) Regiment (20) [185]
Sharpshooters (Heavy Infantry) Troop (10) [100]
Berserker Brock Riders (Cavalry) Troop (5) [125]
Steel Behemoth (Monster (Chariot)) 1 [245]
Dwarf Army Standard Bearer (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [65] - Talisman of Silence [15]
Berserker Lord (Hero (Cavalry)) 1 [145] - Brock Mount [30]
[Mendeleev] Flame Priest (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [120] - Fireball (10) [15] - Inspiring Talisman [20] - Bane Chant (2) [20]

I usually play 2300 points though, for which I add a regiment of brock riders and an organ gun.

The list is influenced by the lore I wrote (mentioned above) and a core design idea.

From the lore: The Fool’s Hold is a frontier hold which is supplied by Golloch’s Empire, but only so well.
In list terms this means it’s an Imperial Dwarf list, but I forgo the “fancy stuff”.
The Fools don’t have the resources for ironguard or Golloch’s fury and are definitely too far from things for Faber Ironheart to come by. There is an old trusty steel behemoth that Mimir and her warsmiths keep running somehow and a steel juggernaut suit that doesn’t get used much.
What is in steady supply though: gunpowder, long rifles (easiest to transport to the frontier), rangers and beserkers looking for glory (I like them on brocks).
The core design idea is value and versatility. Dwarfs get good value De for being slow and I like rangers.
This means I go for the cheaper option when given a choice (i.e. ironclad rather than ironguard and a plain steel behemoth rather than Golloch’s Fury) and take units that can shoot and fight when I can.

The core of list is three regiments of ironclad that throw dogs and are backed up by support units that punish whatever manages to beak though; a “beta strike” centre.
Rangers and brock riders are there to project threat and apply pressure (really my only hope in Loot).
Finally, I add in as much piercing (2) shooting as I can because I need the damage output.

What I ended up with is an army with a good number of drops and a surprising amount of Ra 4+ shooting.
No big hammer units (lots of hammers on the models though!), but a lot of small threats that do well if I can coordinate them.

4 Likes

I love the lore behind all this!

1 Like

1 → Matt Gee’s Nighstalkers.
Scenario: Loot
2300 points

Norgrunn had warned them and the day had come, the seeds of fear left by the Twilight Kin had festered into a nightstalker host.
Mimir said they were after something and whatever it is can’t be good, so Mendeleev set out to see how flammable nighstalkers are.

Lists:

Nightstalkers [2300 / 2300]

Scarecrows (Infantry) Horde (40) [125]
Blood Worms (Infantry) Horde (40) [200]
Reapers (Infantry) Regiment (20) [190]
Phantoms* (Heavy Infantry) Troop (10) [105]
Butchers (Large Infantry) Horde (6) [205]
Planar Apparition (Monster) 1 [165] - Heal (7) [0] - Mind Fog (2) [0]
Planar Apparition (Monster) 1 [165] - Heal (7) [0] - Mind Fog (2) [0]
Mind-screech (Monster) 1 [150]- Lightning Bolt (6) [0] - Mind Fog (6) [0] - Wind Blast (6) [0]
Shadow-hulk (Titan) 1 [225]
Horror (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [105] - Aura (Vicious (Melee) - Infantry only) [30] - Conjurer’s Staff [10] - Bane Chant (2) [0]
Esenyshra, the Wailing Shadow [1] (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [160] - Enthral (7) [0]
Butcher Fleshripper (Hero (Large Infantry)) 1 [110]
Void Lurker (Hero (Titan)) 1 [270]

Stealthy isn’t good for dwarfs, but almost all my shooting in Ra 4+ and mastiffs don’t care.
With generally low De and no inspiring when being shot at, shooting is often better against nighstalkers than people seem to expect. Shooting something with stealthy and in cover is usually a waste though.
The main worry are the fast and flying units; Esenyshra and the void lurker can cause all sorts of trouble.
A major concern for me when playing Loot with dwarfs is units that grabbing loot turn one and covering their retreat before I can respond adequately. Dwarfs are not good at chasing things down.
The flying units and the support monsters are both good for doing just that.
Scarecrows can potentially soak up a lot of my chip damage, which is a problem.
The reapers and butchers can do some damage, I should be able to target one and shoot it down and then keep the other occupied. I’m not sure if the bloodworms are a threat, 30 attacks backed up with bane chant is scary though.

Fool’s Hold [2300 / 2300]

Berserker Brock Riders (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [195]
Ironbelcher Organ Gun (War Engine) 1 [90]
Dwarf Army Standard Bearer (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [80] - Diadem of Dragonkind [30]
Berserker Lord (Hero (Cavalry)) 1 [150] - Brock Mount [30] - Gnome-Glass Shield [10]
[Mendeleev] Flame Priest (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [120] - Inspiring Talisman [20] - Fireball (10) [0] - Bane Chant (2) [20]

As above, but note the diadem of dragonkind on my standard bearer.
This has been standard for me at 2300 for some time, but I have been considering Talisman of Silence (mind fog) and extra artefacts on other units lately.

Deployment:

It is important to note here that we did a blind deployment.
Part of why I take rangers and brocks is so that I can threaten loot counters turn 1, like I’m doing here.
The brock riders can charge anything that grabs the loot on the left (dwarf right flank) turn one and the rangers scout onto the hill to do similar on the right (dwarf left flank).
The middle token potentially has a lot of guns aimed at it on turn 1, but will be what we’ll be fighting over in the main.

Nighstalkers chose sides and took cover.
Flyers on the right threaten to claim that loot if unopposed.
A solid centre and most of the threat on the left, meaning my brock riders are in for a rough game.

Nightstalkers Turn 1:

The battle starts with some advancing and then crackle of lightning, but the left brock troop is not impressed.
The planar apparitions try to confuse sharpshooters and the organ gun crew with mindfog.
They succeed in making an organ gun crewman drop some powder in the pond.

Dwarfs Turn 1:

Dwarfs step forward and are ordered to target fire into the phantoms at the edge of the woods.
The troop of phantoms are stealthy and in cover, but with De4+ and Ne -/12, it’s worth a shot.

The left unit of rangers does so well that no one else feels the need to contribute, as if they know a double 6 for nerve is on it’s way.

Nightstalkers Turn 2:

With it’s chaff gone the void lurker does not fancy taking on all those rangers and concedes the right loot.
Esenyshra starts causing problems, but is a little too reckless…

As the organ crew try to find dry gunpowder the rightmost sharpshooter troop are overcome by a sudden and intense feeling of greed.

Dwarfs Turn 2:

The rangers start monster hunting while the wavered sharpshooters pass their headstrong and go for the loot token on the right (as they can’t shoot anyway).
The brock regiment has a charge on Esenyshra and puts a swift stop to her nonsense.
The right brock troop does something similar to Esenyshra. :sweat_smile:

Something that surprises my opponents often is that if I target a unit with 3 throwing mastiffs and 3 or 4 units that do 1-3 damage, I have good odds to rout a De 5+ unit with 18 nerve in one go.
Not quite if the unit is stealthy, but the butchers still wavered.

Nightstalkers Turn 3:

Scarecrows charge up to hold up the centre as the titans move up.
The butcher flesh ripper does similar to the brock regiment.
The brock troops are impressed by lightning and realise that they can be charged by vicious reapers, both go the way of Esenyshra.

Dwarfs Turn 3:

Here is a tricky decision: I can gang up on the scarecrows flanks and get hem out of the way so that I can go contest the centre loot token, but that will leave two regiments of ironclad badly exposed even if I do rout the scarecrows (dead if i don’t).
I’m playing dwarfs though, so I play it safe and defensive. Will this cost me? Find out below…

The remaining brocks try to get rid of the flesh ripper but roll 4 for nerve! That will certainly cost me.
The sharpshooters grab some loot and everything that see them finishes off the butchers.

The (not great) healing from the planar apparitions means that the organ gun is free to get the attention of the void lurker with a loud bang.

Nightstalkers Turn 4:

The flesh ripper cracks the brock lord’s gnome glass shield so that the reapers can tear him to shreds and overrun into the brock regiment and do more mean things. This is what berserkers come to the frontier for, right?

The nighstalker line charges in and the ironclad hold (as they usually do).
The organ gun continues to have a bad day though.

Importantly, a planar apparition grabs the centre loot.

Dwarfs Turn 4:

The Fools need to get the scarecrows out of the way so that we can attack the planar with the loot.
Should be easy, but the scarecrows smell a whiff of fear and hang on despite 5 damage on them.

I’m not sure what to do with the shieldbreakers, so I turn them to face the approaching reapers.
This is not focusing on the objective. I do get a few shots off on the planar carrying the loot though.

The rangers close catch the void lurker and close in on the shadow-hulk.

Nightstalkers Turn 5:

The bloodworms and scarecrows swarm the ironclad formations and they are forced to withdraw, but the ironclad facing the shadow-hulk remain resolute.

The nightstalkers effectively win the game. the left loot is claimed and the centre loot is carried away into the woods.
The planar apparition no has cover, stealthy, regeneration and healing. The odds of shooting it down for a draw are slim. It’s back to 0 damage to boot.

Dwarfs Turn 5:

I try though.
The standard bearer is out of range of the planar, so fireballs the scarecrows and removes them.
That frees up the steel behemoth to shoot at the planar along with the rangers.
The shooting doesn’t get it.

The steel behemoth purposefully gives a flank charge to the blood worms, it can take a hindered flank charge, but does not want them in front of it. It’s easy to be brave from the top of a mechanical monster.
The rangers (with bane chant) and sharpshooters gang up on the void lurker and waver it.

Turn 6:

The steel behemoth gets wavered and the planar apparitions slips further away.
In the dwarf turn the rangers fighting the void lurker back up and try to shoot the planar with loot, and waver it!

Turn 7

The wavered planar apparition passes it’s loot to the mindscreetch ensuring a nightstalker vistory.

The shieldbreakers finally contribute by finishing off the flesh ripper, but only after the reapers overrun the steel behemoth.

Mendeleev is not sure what the nightstalkers were after. The thing The Fools got from them looks like a rusty dagger, apparently pulled from the back of a skeleton in a shallow grave.
Whatever the nightstalkers achieved will cost The Fool’s Hold, but not today.
First he had the unenviable task of telling Mimir that she had to retrieve and rebuild a steel behemoth.

2 Likes

Thanks for the report! And shout-out to that Reaper regiment, delivering repeated haymakers across that side of the table.

Your Dwarf list is pretty rad, with a frankly bonkers number of drops for the faction :clap:

1 Like

Glad you liked it.
Those reapers were terrifying.

17 drops of dwarfs is great fun.
Edit: it’s also 132 models of dwarfs. Which is always cool to see on the table, even with mediocre/tabletop painting .
I even had more drops than goblins once (they went monster heavy).

Makes clocks a problem if I’m rusty though, it’s a lot of units that have shooting or combat most turns.

2 Likes

2 → Duncan Shabb’s Order of the Green Lady
Scenario: Control
2300 points

Mimir had researched what the nightstalkers might be doing. Based on stories from The Brothermark she had heard, regarding the exploits of someone called Dillen Genemer and the artefact The Fools did recover in the last battle; the the nightstalkers could be making something to keep them in the area permanently.

Rangers reported that there was a hill that disquieted beast and dwarf; getting close inflicted a sense of dread and even the most jovial dwarfs mentioned dark thoughts when there.
It was, however, near the forest protected by the Green Lady’s Knights. The Fools did not want to trespass again, the the last time showed how hostile the Knights in the Forest were. That’s why The Fools have plantations for their lumber in the first place.

When the dwarfs arrived, the Order of the Green Lady had been lured to the same place.

Lists:

The Order of the Green Lady [2300 / 2300]

Order of the Thorn (Infantry) Regiment (20) [175] - Vial of Sacred Water [5]
Order of the Thorn (Infantry) Regiment (20) [175] - Vial of Sacred Water [5]
Order of the Brotherhood (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [215] - Vial of Sacred Water [5] - Sir Jesse’s Boots of Striding [15]
Order of the Brotherhood (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [215] - Vial of Sacred Water [5] - Banner of the Green Lady [15]
Order of the Brotherhood (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [200] - Vial of Sacred Water [5]
Order of the Brotherhood (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [200] - Vial of Sacred Water [5]
Woodland Critters* (Swarm) Regiment (3) [80]
Greater Water Elemental (Monster) 1 [195] - Radiance of Life (Sacred Water only) [15]
Pegasus (Monster) 1 [80]
Pegasus (Monster) 1 [80]
Druid (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [85] - Heal (2) [0] - Bane Chant (2) [20]
Druid (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [95] - Heal (2) [0] - Bane Chant (2) [20] - Conjurer’s Staff [10]
Avatar of the Green Lady [1] (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [150] - Heal (6) [0]
Unicorn (Hero (Cavalry)) 1 [155] - Heal (5) [0] - Lightning Bolt (5) [35]

That’s a lot of cavalry. Combined with great support, mobile US1 units and solid infantry.
Nothing stands out as a particularly dangerous threat on it’s own, but there are a lot of things to deal with.
My usual tools and tactics to deal with hammers are only meant to deal with one or two.
An approach of “more good enough than you can deal with” is not unlike my list design.

With two pathfinder units, my rangers are not safe in the woods. Indeed, woods are an attack vector with cover.

Rangers* (Infantry) Regiment (20) [190] - Fire-Oil [5]
Sharpshooters (Heavy Infantry) Troop (5) [100]
Berserker Brock Riders (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [205] - Mead of Madness [10]
Dwarf Army Standard Bearer (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [65] - Talisman of Silence [15] - Mind Fog (2)
Berserker Lord (Hero (Cavalry)) 1 [150] - Brock Mount [30] - Gnome-Glass Shield [10]
[Mendeleev] Flame Priest (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [120] - Fireball (10) [15] - Bane Chant (2) [20] - Inspiring Talisman [20]

The “standard list” above, but the first time I’m using this combination of artefacts.
I really enjoy lobbing fireballs, but the Diadem of Dragonkind is expensive. The idea is to take a budget version in the Talisman of Silence (i.e. swapping 30 point fireball (8) for 15 point mindfog (2)) and spread out the buffs.
The extra 15 points paid for Fire Oil on the rangers (regeneration can be a problem for The Fool’s list design) and mead of madness on the brock riders regiment (it seems appropriate and gives them an edge).
I considered Jesse’s Boots, but with two regiments of rangers and strider on the steel behemoth I already have terrain troops. I also see brock riders as more of a bark than a bite.

Ocloch does not consider himself a remarkable dwarf.
He’s brave enough and competent in a shield wall, but not a great warrior. He can do what he needs to at a forge or with a chisel, but he has made nothing splendid. He can’t lift the most weight, drink the most ale or tell the best story; he can do each of those well enough, just not the best.
Ocloch makes sure that he does what needs doing though. It might not be done perfectly, with a flourish or a fuss; but he makeaa sure things got done well enough.

Mimir valued this because it meant Ocloch would keep things running while she was distracted or Mendeleev was being hot headed. It’s why he carried the battle standard.
It’s also why she trusts him test her inventions, especially on the battlefield.
The most recent one being a “directed sound amplifier” or, as she preferred to call it, “nerve tester”.
The idea was that instead of lugging a load of bombs to the battlefield [Diadem of Dragonkind to you, dear reader] only this device and some powder was needed.
It would amplify and direct the sound of either a small bit of powder placed into the device or nearby firearms; making the target hear guns being fired in their direction, thereby testing their nerve! [Mindfog from Talisman of Silence]

Deployment:

I chose the bottom because blocking terrain in a deployment zone is not nice. I was also concerned with terrain capable knights using the woods for cover; the left wood is harder to get to from the top and the right wood is on my side. I’m hoping that the the obstacles will trip up an enemy advance on the left and help my ironclad tank charges in the middle.
The initial plan is to grind with the ironclad and second line in the centre while brocks with ranger support (scouting onto the hill) push up the left.
An attack from my opponent on the right will have to go around the rock and through the wood, so hopefully can be significantly delayed.

No knights on the right, so we’re in for a fight on the left.
I scout up the rangers so that I can concentrate fire on one of the regiments of knights.

The Order of the Green Lady Turn 1

I lose the roll for first turn, which makes scouting up more risky.
Knights on the left flank move to charge next turn.
Centre shuffles up to move into position next turn.

The right most sharpshooters are so busy staring in wonder at the sight of a unicorn that they waver when it suddenly attacks them with lightning.

Dwarfs Turn 1

The wavered sharpshooters get their headstrong and move up.

I need to stop the knights from simply running over the rangers.
The brock troop blocks one.
The brock lord moves to prevent a double charge on either ranger regiment. Which is silly in hindsight, a double charge would have been better for me because it guarantees one unit of rangers survives.

A ranger regiment should get wavered on average dice (i.e. 50:50 odds) from a regiment of knights, so I set up counter charges to punish charging in.
Hopefully one of the rangers survives and it’s opponent pays for it.

I have enough shooting to waver the third knight regiment from the left (on average dice), which means it will charge without TC if it passes headstrong. Into a position where the steel behemoth can flank if.

Shooting is a little below average, but enough that a double 6 for nerve is a rout.
The reroll is less than a waver. Not ideal.

The Talisman of Silence gets a waver on a pegasus though. Good to see it come in handy already.

The Order of the Green Lady Turn 2

Two regiments of knights proceed to charge up the hill and simply run over the rangers.
Which is not good. Extra sad because I come from historical wargaming and hills are supposed to be defensible.
The knights that got shot at also recover all their damage…

The brock troop holds though.

The centre moves up to get the fight on my side of the map and the unicorn charges in.
A pegasus jumps my lines and I don’t feel very threatened to be honest.

Rangers came to investigate Dread Hill and immediately set about doing so.
Before they found anything though, The Green Lady’s knights began their attack.
Halfhearted shooting didn’t slow them down and the rangers retreated, their minds dark and mission impossible.

Dwarfs Turn 2

The brock regiment and lord go for revenge on one regiment of knights, but roll a 3 for nerve.
I am desperate enough the throw sharpshooters forward to stall the other regiment of knights on the hill.
They turn out to be significantly tougher than rangers.
The other sharpshooters put one damage on the unicorn.
The brock troops counter charge and the other tries to get somewhere useful.

As my list does; all the mastiffs and shooting from a few other units takes down a regiment of knights. Excellent.
It’s worth noting that The Diadem of Dragonkind would not have been in range to contribute (and would be 8 dice on 5’ and 5’s if it did), but the Talisman of Silence adds shattering.

Seeing the hill lost and the end of the line exposed, sharpshooters moved up and planted their shields at the foot of the hill. After a volley to draw attention; they used the cover from the smoke to dump their remaining black power and light it for more smoke.
Then they left. The knights would waste time tripping over their shields and looking for dwarfs in the smoke.

The Order of the Green Lady Turn 3

Almost everything charges! Almost all the dwarfs hold.
The left brock troop has done it’s duty though.
The left sharpshooters stand like champs.

The knights with the Green Lady’s Banner (pathfinder) get bane chanted and puts an alarming 8 damage on the steel behemoth.

Not sure what the unicorn hopes to achieve behind my lines, but I can’t do much about it.

Dwarfs Turn 3

The remaining brock troop continues their journey to hopefully helping eventually.
The brock lord puts his Gnome Glass Shield to use. Which is good, because the brock regiment doesn’t get the knighs that they’re fighting again (only back to the same damage as last turn). The damage recovery in the Order of the Green Lady list is making a real difference. It’s making more knights than I can really deal with harder to deal with.

Both wavers are irrelevant because of headstrong, which matters because…

The Order of the Green Lady Turn 4

The Knights with the Banner of the Green Lady pass their headstrong, get bane chanted, put two damage on the steel behemoth and roll 9 for nerve, twice.
Which puts me in a very bad situation.

The organ gun also routs.

The sharpshooters still hold!
As does everything else. The brock regiment can’t take another charge though.

The old behemoth turned to face the finest knights, carrying their Lady’s banner, but more slowly than usual.
The charged was not fully met with the frontal armour and lances found their way between moving parts.
The lances exposed a dark substance clinging to parts of the trusty old machine.
It was a warsmith’s nightmare; hiding, clogging and corroding.
A “gift” from the last battle, before the machine was recovered.

With behemoth disabled, the knights could simply bypass it on their way to flank the infantry line while the crew limped it back to the Mimir’s workshop.

Dwarfs Turn 4

With my sharpshooters spread out on the right and brock troop the only thing in my opponent’s central zone I’m actually ahead on the scenario.
So let’s see if I can hang on.

I start trying to extract or protect US in the centre and pulling it right but sending the shield breakers to the right (the fight they were planning to help with is lost) and pulling a regiment of ironclad out.
Hopefully the brock regiment behind them distracts my opponent’s line.

I start getting fireballs into the pegasus on my side (rather than bane chant into the brock regiment) and manage to waver both. Which is nice, but not being able to help the flame priest shoot is not ideal (fireball already has shattering, so mindfog doesn’t add anything). Being able to target one and take it down would have helped more.

The brock regiment wins their fight.

After the brock riders had fared better than the rangers and driven the knights off the Dread Hill (either because they were less troubled by dark thoughts or the mead they had been drinking) Mendeleev had a moment to investigate the hill.
It was gone.
The determined courage of the knights and the presence of the Green Lady’s avatar must have dispelled whatever the nightstalkers had done.
Or it’s purpose of fueling battle and hatred has been served.
Either way, the dwarfs don’t need to be here.

The Order of the Green Lady Turn 5

The Banner of the Green Lady starts to chew up my line.
The brock lord and sharpshooters on the left finally go down (well done to both of them though).

Duncan keeps playing aggressive, taking the hindered flank with the Thorn regiment and relying on the hindered unicorn charge to keep the brock troop behind them. Both pay off.

Dwarfs Turn 5

I use the shieldbreakers to hold things up and shuffle the ironclad closer to the right sector (Giving up on my central sector).

I try to disorder the knights with my banner, worth a shot, right?
In hindsight, I could hae stopped the left Thorn regiment from advancing, meaning that the Banner knights could only turn up to their own central sector, rather then getting a charge on the shieldbreakers.

The brock regiment takes down more knights!

Turn 6

The unicorn routs the brock troop, the hard to shoot knights send the brock regiment home and the Banner Knights run over the shieldbreakers.

I don’t have the units left to try anything clever, so forgo rolling for turn 7 and the game ends like this:

After game thoughts:

That didn’t go well at all.
It’s an aggressive list and I’m still not sure how I should deal with it.
I took more of a risk with the rangers than I realized and didn’t need to shoot to get the knights moving, they were going to be aggressive anyway. I’ll definitely avoid putting my rangers in a position to get charged on turn 2.
Avoiding LoS and getting into combat along with the brocks may have been a better plan.

There were a series of 50/50 rolls that didn’t go my way and any of them would have made a difference, but blaming that doesn’t help anything. The steel behemoth going down really didn’t help though.

That makes two games in a row that I lost the behemoth too. It’s a powerful unit, so leaving it to take charges in the front line was not ideal, despite how tough it is.

It is tempting to immediately change my list and add things that would have helped in this game.
A steel juggernaut would have been handy near the end (replacing the banner and organ gun) and a Dragonshard Shield on the rangers would have been useful.
Those are both defensive picks though, and I have been trying to squeeze more damage into the list design.
I also think that it’s a mistake to try a version of a list against only one opponent; in this case a game where most of the new artefacts barely mattered.
The knights were too aggressive for Mead of Madness to matter and the rangers didn’t achieve anything at all.
I definitely missed the Diadem of Dragonkind though; being able to threaten small units in my back line would have helped and possibly dealt with a pegasus or that pesky unicorn.
The lucky wavers from Mind Fog were nice, but unreliable. There was a lot of damage recovery going on though, so the late game with damaged units around didn’t happen.

I’ll try this list a few more times; if nothing else I like the lore I came up with for the Talisman of Silence and want to get a little more mileage out of it.

The Green Lady’s Knights let the dwarfs go, but followed them to a ridge near the lumber plantations.
There a druid shouted “HEED POLLUTERS” and drew a line in the dirt with their staff.
Then everything the dwarfs left on the battlefield was thrown over the ridge; littering it with broken shields and iron. A grim reminder of where the new boundary lies.

5 Likes

A tough loss but a great read! Great report and again, some wonderful lore and fluff! The UB-style report is always nice to read through.

I would echo your sentiments about not tailoring lists to better fight the previous battle. There are things to learn, but there are bound to just be bad style match-ups or scenario match-ups or even just bad army match-ups. Unfortunately for fine-tuning lists, it seems you gotta take a few lumps before making any decisions! What do you think you’d do differently if you were to re-rack for a second game with the same lists?

I don’t have much experience with Scouting, and am still working through your older reports, but at a glance I am seeing you deploying on the line quite often. I know the dwarfs are slow, but am wondering how you’d do if here you moved the main initial line back a bit? With multiple sources of healing and Vials aplenty, the Order’s list here was quite resistant to chip damage, but with all that cavalry, is very like to be aggressive here. You definitely do have a ranged advantage over your opponent, and being back a bit may have given you an extra turn for shooters to try something or fish for lucky Nerve checks before it came to blows?

Great read though! Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

The most significant lesson (really a reminder :sweat_smile:) is to take the time and put some thought into how your opponent’s list works and how they intend to play the game.
Which is far easier said than done, we all look at things through the lens of our own play-styles and ways of thinking.
What I missed here (using the benefit of hindsight) was how aggressive this list is designed to be.
With that many value for points hammers Duncan could afford to lose a few. Combined with good wound recovery and support; means that the regiments of knights didn’t need to be played as carefully as I have come to assume damage dealing units will be. I don’t usually get charged in turn 2.

It is worth noting that rolls not going my way doesn’t necessarily mean that my risk assessment was wrong (something a “team work and punch back” like mine relies on). If any one of 4 approximately 50/50 rolls went differently it would have been a different game (first turn, my first turn shooting, combat on rangers x2); not saying I would have won, but it would have been closer at least.
I definitely overestimated the durability of my rangers though.

The main differences in my thinking if we had a rematch would be to expect aggressive play and to assume that my rangers can’t take a charge.
I would have tried to block charges on my rangers, rather than trying to discourage charges with potential retaliation. By having the brock troop more to right so that it could advance through the rangers; the brock regiment didn’t need them as a screen because it’s faster then the knights.
I also would have put my steel behemoth in the second line, where it usually goes, there was not opportunity for me to be aggressive with it so it just took a charge it didn’t need to.

This is true. Partly my aggressive nature as a wargamer shining through, but also due to a concern for scenario.
Deploying back often doesn’t cross my mind. It is definitely something to keep in mind and consider going forward, thank you.

Edit: this bit is explaining my thinking, it is not an argument against your suggestion.

For the rangers, I want to get shooting turn 1.
Which was a mistake in this game, but against less aggressive opponent’s their role is to project some threat.
They’re usually in a position where charges against them are hindered and my opponent has more limited resources to dedicate to them.
Remember that I don’t know who is going first when I scout.
They easily could have had two turns of shooting.
I also want to concentrate shooting to remove or waver a problem unit as soon as I can, which almost worked in this game.

For the main line of ironclad: I actually want them to get charged.
I want my opponent to take some damage coming in (hopefully lose a units to concentrated mastiffs and other shooting), charge, fight the ironclad and then (if they win/break through) have fresh shieldbreakers, a steel behemoth and fireballs to deal with.
The closer this fight happens to scoring the better. I can usually sneak out a unit of ironclad and/or have more US left after the dust settles.

For the rest of the list: I sometimes do deploy the sharpshooters further back, but if they will have to go score eventually then deploying them back means fewer turn shooting before they need to start running.

3 → Duncan Shabb’s Varangur
Scenario: Invade
2300 points

Another game against Duncan, who’s trying out a Varangur list for a tournament.

There was a harsh, cold and bitter wind blowing.
The dwarfs who had travelled in the north whispered about the Northern Winds and the warriors of the dark and old god, Korgaan. Could Varangur have come this far East?
Sure enough, smoke rose from the villages near the coast and the rangers sent to investigate reported brutal human raiders.

The Fool’s Council met and decided that dwarfs would meet the threat; for several reasons.
Some needed nothing more than to know that innocents were suffering.
Many felt duty bound to protect the villages. The Fools had seen the need to foster good relations with the town and villages nearby. Hostility, as with the Order of the Green Lady, served none but nightstalkers.
Many dwarfs had grown fond of the trade partners and customers within the, mostly human, villagers and townsfolk.
That same trade was also represented an economic interest. Not only did the dwarfs trade with the villages, the town has a port which, if the Fools can negotiate it’s use makes it far easier to send powder to and receive supplies from Golloch’s Empire
Even the most conservative and insular dwarfs recognized the security concern. The lumber camps are at risk and, most on mind, terrified villagers attract nightstalkers.
If the Varangur find easy pickings here they will return.

Finally, the more cynical dwarfs noted that there is also a political interest.
The town and villages struggled to protect themselves against threats like this. If the dwarfs dealt with the invasion then the humans would have more reason to look to the dwarfs for protection.
While still weary of Golloch, the town would be more willing to accept a dwarf presence; giving The Fool’s Hold better access to the port, a link the Golloch’s Empire and a potential imperial outpost.

The Varangur had to been seen off without what they came for. Glory and loot.
While mounted warriors are usually difficult for dwarfs to come to grips with, the Varangur will have a camp where they keep their plunder and prisoners by now. The Fools’ plan is to march on that camp and offer the Varangur only fire, smoke and impassive steel.

Varangur [2300 / 2300]

Night Raiders (Infantry) Regiment (20) [145] Bows [0] - Fire-Oil [5]
Night Raiders (Infantry) Regiment (20) [140] Bows [0]
The Fallen (Large Infantry) Horde (6) [260] - Healing Brew [5]
Mounted Sons of Korgaan (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [240] - Brand of the Warrior [10] - Sir Jesse’s Boots of Striding [15]
Mounted Sons of Korgaan (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [225] - Brand of the Warrior [10]
Snow Foxes* (Swarm) Regiment (3) [80]
Snow Foxes* (Swarm) Regiment (3) [80]
Jabberwock (Monster) 1 [165]
Magus (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [140] - Lightning Bolt (4) [0] - Bloodboil (0) [30] - Inspiring Talisman [20]
Lord (Hero (Heavy Infantry)) 1 [130] - Snow Fox [10] - Brand of the Warrior [10]
Kruufnir [1] (Hero (Monster)) 1 [160]
[F] Mammoth Steppe Horse Raiders (Sliksneer’s Shriekers)* [1] (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [175]
[F] Mammoth Steppe Horse Raiders (Sliksneer’s Shriekers)* [1] (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [175]
[F] Sliksneer (Sliksneer’s Shriekers) [1] (Hero (Cavalry)) 1 [185] - Snow Fox [10] - Brand of the Warrior [10]

That looks threatening and aggressive.
With a good amount of nimble mobility and more shooting than one might expect.
The brutal +1 aura applies to all the cavalry and the night raiders, plus a lot of brutal throughout the list.
Which means everything is potentially more dangerous than it looks. The Mounted Sons potentially have brutal 2, which means they have good odds of rouring ironclad on the charge.
Which is concerning for me because my list is designed to punish an opponent doing average damage, but this list nudges it’s average up without paying for overkill.

The monsters don’t look particularly big and stompy, but will be more of a problem than I would like in a list that has a lot of threats to deal with.

To heed my own words in reply to @TastyBagel :

This list looks like it will be coming to get me.
Mobile and with buffs to make it hit even harder.
There’s also a good amount of nimble and shooting.
Which means it can get where an opponent doesn’t want it and make you deal with units that are not priority targets.

The night raiders look handy, but I’m not sure what they’ll be doing or how to deal with them.
They don’t look especially durable, but stealthy makes shooting then inefficient and going to get them (presumably in terrain) doesn’t sound great either.
They’re too capable to ignore, but in a list that already has a lot to deal with.

My list is the same, here it is again do that don’t have to scroll up for it.
The difference is the list I’m dealing with.
It’s more threatening, but I’m better able to deal with the threats. Duncan can’t afford to be quite as careless and there isn’t wound recovery.
The other difference is that there isn’t solid infantry to engage my infantry, so my centre can deal with a threat instead.

It’s more mobile though, so can dictate where it engages.

Rangers* (Infantry) Regiment (20) [190] - Fire-Oil [5]
Berserker Brock Riders (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [205] - Mead of Madness [10]
Dwarf Army Standard Bearer (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [65] - Talisman of Silence [15] - Mind Fog (2)
[Mendeleev] Flame Priest (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [120] - Fireball (10) [15] - Bane Chant (2) [20] - Inspiring Talisman [20]

Deployment:

We did blind deployment for this game.
It’s expedient and disadvantages both of us.
I have 3 more drops, which usually means that I get to deploy a few units (typically brock riders) after my opponent has everything down.
It’s not great for Varangur either though.
It’s a mobile army with high value units that need to be in the right place.
When I played Varangur (a long time ago) I relied on getting a sense of where my opponent is deploying and what they intend to do to deploy my Mounted Sons of Korgaan in the right place.

My foremost concern is that I can’t take charges from this list like I could other lists, I want to avoid and/or hinder charges rather than having the ironclad take it on the chin.
Strangely for dwarfs in invade, I have an advantage in the scenario. Usually part of my challenge is to force my opponent to engage my ironclad and then get counter punched. Usually by being where my opponent has to deal them.
In this case; I have more units and unit strength (US). The Varangur have to engage my infantry or let a lot of US walk across the line. I can put them somewhere that’s difficult to charge and play the scenario.

I picked the top.
On the left the blocking tower and obstacle would trip up and congest an advance.
On the right the wood and blocking make a zone that looks difficult to attack from the bottom, but easy to get to and score in from the top. I can also scout into and project threat from the central woods with my rangers (controlling the centre, as one wants to in chess).
Accordingly; I deployed my infantry core on the right (hoping to simply advance and score), rangers in the middle (scouting after seeing the Sons with Jesse’s boots and fallen were not threatening the woods) and guns on the left.
Again heeding @TastyBagel; I deployed the sharpshooters back on the left; using the terrain for cover and hindering charges. The sharpshooters not in terrain want to maximize the shooting either side of the tower (round thing is H9 blocking).
The idea also being that units that deal with the sharpshooters are then as far away from my infantry doing the scoring as possible.

Varangur Turn 1

The Varangur come forth to please Korgaan.
Korgaan doesn’t seem to like the idea of using bows though. No shooting damage.

Dwarf Turn 1

I start pushing up on the right (my left flank).
The left looks like trouble, but… that’s only 10 US left of the tower (round thing is H9 blocking).
My ironclad alone are 9 US and there isn’t much to stop them from walking over the line.

As much shooting as possible goes into the Mounted Sons in the centre. All sharpshooters miss, but the rest (gun, fireball and rangers) get some damage and a good nerve roll for a waver. Already going better than the last game and these guys don’t have headstrong. :sweat_smile: Or wound recovery!

The steel behemoth carefully manoeuvres to get a shot on the stealthy snow foxes in the woods… 1 damage
I throw a mastiff at them. 4 hits and (2,2,2,2) for damage. De 2+ means 4 damage…
Shattering for the Talisman of silence…
Second nerve roll is a 5, which is exactly enough to rout them. Teamwork makes the list work.

Importantly, the now wavered Sons of Korgaan were in my rangers’ flank arc, so they side stepped to avoid a possible flank charge that would rout them even if hindered.

The sharpshooters took aim at the approaching horsemen, ready to show them why they should be far more concerned when riding up to dwarfs.
The bitter and icy wind disagreed. No fuses would light or aim stay true. As if the wind was Korgaan’s voice commanding brutal and glorious combat.

Machine and flame did not heed the wind. As if a defiant roar from Fulgria that gave Korgaan’s most faithful pause.

Both smiled upon a brave mastiff sent to scatter a pack of foxes.

Varangur Turn 2

The wavered Sons of Korgaan rethink things and back up, sending the nigh raiders in first.
The rangers’ sidestep means that the jabberwock can charge them and not get flanked by the other rangers next turn.

The left flank (mostly) clears the obstacle and field.

With no apparent glory from fighting an organ gun, the Varangur shoot it off instead.

Dwarf Turn 2

The jabberwock can get charged by the steel behemoth though and it goes big for 9 damage.
Rangers only add 2 damage despite bane chant and a 3 for the nerve roll means the jabberwock stays to continue it’s violent rampage in the woods.
Which makes me glad that I sent two troops of sharpshooters to bog down the fallen (engaged on more than one facing, to stopwithdraw on the nimble unit) and keep them off my rangers’ flank.
The other sharpshooters do no damage and the left brock troop threatens the flanks of units trying to pass.

On the right: my brock regiment moves to get in the fight while my infantry move toward scoring.
A mastiff puts some damage on the right horse raiders, so that both cavalry units on the right have to be careful about getting charged.

Varangur Turn 3

Turn 3 is earlier than usual for all the sharpshooters to be routed.
This is an aggressive list.
Note the Varagnur lord is fighting and doing most of the damage on the far left.
However, most of the power and US is now in the top left corner, opposite to where I plan to score.

The jabberwork and Kruufnir (with wild charge) team up and rout a regiment of rangers,
The closest I have gotten Fire Oil to a unit with regen so far…

The cavalry on the right flank run away (Korgaan does not smile on them for the rest of the battle), sending the night raiders to engage the right.
The right flank is not a friendly place for the cavalry to be, but they’re leaving a lot of US unopposed.

The sharpshooters, being under order to get as many of their number out alive as possible and seeing the threat to the line’s flank (again) decide it’s time to pull their stunt.
They fire to draw attention and the make as much smoke and confusion as possible before leaving the battlefield.

Dwarf Turn 3

With the left flank cleared out; the plan is to delay the units that cleared out the left flank as long as possible while removing as much Varangur US as I can. Preferably with my US 1 or 0 units doing the work.

Ironclad start plodding over the line.

The brock troop on the foxes only manage a waver (hindered), but the brock regiment absolutely shreds the De 3+ night raiders.
The jabberwork doesn’t take any damage form fireball, mind fog gets a nerve test though, but it’s a double 1.

The big deal is that a bit of shooting wavers the horse raiders in the middle, which is great for holding up units trying to get to the right flank.

Varangur Turn 4

The wavered horse raiders in the middle mean that the Mounted Sons of Korgaan and The Fallen don’t get to go on a murderous rampage just yet. The Varangur get moving to deal with my scoring units, but it’s half way through the game.

The night raiders have a go at the brock regiment though.
Kruufnir punches some more rangers.

Both brock troops are routed by Varangur individuals.

Dwarf Turn 4

I take a few risks here.
I don’t want to let my infantry get bogged down or need to turn to face oncoming units before crossing the middle line, so they all walk over. Which means that we’ve effectively swapped sides, but I have more US.
Which exposes them to rear charges from the jabberwock, but a fireball should rout it. Fortunately Mendeleev gets it done.

My rangers back up to get the fallen in their front arc, which is unnecessary in hindsight because they probably can’t take a front charge from the fallen either.
That opens up a flank charge on the brock riders, unless they rout the night raiders and advance two inches.
The brock riders do better in combat than when they had TC and advance 2".
The behemoth is a bit stuck, so has to push past the Varangur units to avoid getting flanked. It then shoots off the damaged horse raiders.

The brock lord ties up the damaged Mounted Sons of Korgaan.

Varangur Turn 5

The Varangur do their thing.
Varangur charge and 3 units rout.

Horse raiders try to tie up the behemoth.

The fallen and Kruufnir see the last rangers disappear into the woods.

Which leaves my scoring units exposed to attack.
My risks from last turn pay off though. My opponent now has to deal with dwarfs that are already scoring in the late game (never ideal against dwarfs) and his units have to not score themselves to do so.

Dwarf Turn 5

I do as much damage as I can and move to make it impossible to charge my units and still score.
Remeber that the dwarfs started at the top and need to be at the bottom. :stuck_out_tongue:

Things go my way this turn:
I get another waver on that poor unit of Mounted Sons of Korgaan, with a mastiff!
The steel behemoth continues making up for last game and routs the horse raiders in one go!
Those two things means that my behemoth can threaten the rear of anything that charges and fails to rout ironclad and that the Mounted Sons of Korgaan can’t sneak off to score.

Varangur Turn 6

Unfortunately Duncan only has a long shot. He has to charge and rout three units and then get at least one unit back over the line.

Mounted Sons of Korgaan rout their unit, but have to turn to face the behemoth.
The other two regiments of ironclad take 6 damage and hold (one wavers though).

Dwarf Turn 6

A fireball wavers the battered regiment of Mounted Sons of Korgaan, meaning they can’t score in a potential turn 7.

The fallen pay for their failure and the behemoth gets in the way of ths other regiment of Mounted Sons of Korgaan, so that they can’t score in a potential turn 7 either.

No turn 7 is rolled anyway, making it a victory for The Fools!

After game thoughts:

My plan worked!
It was greatly helped by my opponent not being able to see what I was planning and respond during deployment though.

Duncan was also obviously trying out and getting the hang of the list.
Doing what would have worked for the Order of the Green Lady list, and did in the last game, turned out to be costly in this game.

The Fallen were a problem for me and I was lucky to get them.

I am very pleased with my mastiffs this game.
I don’t have a target for my usual concentrated fire to remove a problem unit this game, but instead had that little bit of extra damage where I needed it 3 times this game.

4 Likes

Egads, called out twice before the game even begins! Well, if your Sharpshooters could aim you’d be singing my praises. :rofl:

Having played a handful of games as the Varangur, your opponent’s list is pretty solid. I didn’t notice the Aura was a +1, and didn’t realize that would/could stack with the Brands. That’s definitely a neat interaction! Two things he may want to look at though:

• Icon for the Lord on Foot. I think this is why most people run the Lord on Foot. It’s similar to Sliksneer in that you get another aura. My gut said Stealthy was the way to go with him, but stacking Brutal could be filthy.
  • Maglinde of the Fallen. She hits pretty hard, can use a one-time fly to hit things, and with Iron Resolve and Fearless, can take a fair bit of punishment.

Otherwise, yeah, that is a strong looking list. The Varangur have a lot of scary things, and that army should only get more dangerous as he figures out just what he likes. (Good luck to you in future games!)

As for the game, deploying blind certainly makes things interesting! Given the deployment method, I think you had a solid plan in relying on your Ironclad regiments to just march over, and force a reaction. It was nice to see that play out (as well as all the individual mastiffs do work). The Varangur player had a speedy list, but didn’t luck out in where his units ended up, and didn’t quite reposition in time to intercept. Well-played and congrats on the win!

1 Like

That definitely would have helped!

I spent the rest of the game putting the shots they missed into that regiment of cavalry. The sharpshooters deploying back did the main thing it was supposed to though, pull units away from the ironclad.

4→ Thomas Aleksandersen’s Nightstalkers
Scenario: Invade
2300 points

With the global Shadowed Horizons going on I signed up as evil, because my nightstalkers seem fitting.
I then found an opponent with the same idea!
So I brought out The Fools to oppose them.

There is a grim determination in The Fool’s Hold.
Something was not quite right.
Shadows seemed darker and like they moved in the corner of one’s eye. Everyone had nightmares. The wind carried faint screams.
Enough to put everyone on edge, but not to spook the dwarfs; not again.
The Fools had done this before and knew that they were not imagining things, there was indeed something stalking them in the night and the dark stories told by villagers and children were not only true, but a warning to be heeded.

Nighstalkers were coming.
A threat that had to be met with valour, least it fester.

From the ranger’s reports there were lots of them and the reapers were faster than before.
Thankfully; these seemed intent on challenging the dwarf hold and the villages had been spared, for the most part.

Perhaps the Dwarf’s protection has given the local humans courage since the Varangur incursion?
Nightstalkers prefer their victims afraid and a dwarf defeat would give them plenty of woe.
The traders tell of armies on the move though, perhaps this is part of something bigger.

Lists:

Nightstalkers 2023 [2300]
Scarecrows (Infantry) Legion (60) [180]
Tormentors (Infantry) Troop (10) [140]
Mind-screech (Monster) 1 [150]
-Lightning Bolt (6)
-Mind Fog (6)
-Wind Blast (6)
Horror Riftweavers (Monster) 1 [110]
Terror (Titan) 1 [240]
Portal of Despair [1] (Titan) 1 [90]
The Dream Hunter [1] (Hero (Heavy Infantry)) 1 [185]
Dread-fiend (Hero (Large Cavalry)) 1 [135]
Void Lurker (Hero (Titan)) 1 [275]
-Staying Stone [5]

Scarecrows to gum up enemy units and give the tormentors opportunities to um… torment flanks and second line units.
While thats going on there are two nerve 18/19 titans stomping about.
Plus some support monsters to hand out inspiring, dread or lighting damage while being US1.

The terror is… um terrifying for a mostly infantry army with some cavalry. Just the steel behemoth wants to fight that thing and even then not really.
The void lurker is trouble as always, but dragon type units can be handled.

Tormentors are interesting, but very fragile and only do 4 damage to De 5+ on average dice.
As long as I can keep my line straight/flanks covered they shouldn’t do too much damage and with De 3+ my ironclad can take them on in a fight. Also doing an average of 4 damage, but with 4 more nerve.

The scarecrows are loads of US and De 3+.
Which makes them a priority to remove and a great target for brocks, rangers and even ironclad.

This is not a great match up for my opponent.
Their US is vulnerable to most of my list, while my scoring units are only really a good target for the two titans. I can also present a line of dwarfs, denying the tormentors the flanks that they are looking for.
As scary as the monsters are, The Fools have a lot of units and US for them to deal with.

Ironclad (Infantry) Regiment (20) [125]
-Throwing Mastiff [15]
-Throwing Mastiff [15]
-Throwing Mastiff [15]
Rangers* (Infantry) Regiment (20) [190]
-Fire-Oil [5]
Berserker Brock Riders (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [205]
Dwarf Army Standard Bearer (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [65]
-The Boomstick [25] - Lightning Bolt(3)
Berserker Lord (Hero (Cavalry)) 1 [150]
-Brock Mount [30] -Gnome-Glass Shield [10]
[Mendeleev] Flame Priest (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [120]
-Fireball (10) [15]
-Bane Chant (2) [20]
-Inspiring Talisman [20]

My list only has a minor artefact change.
I’ve dropped the mead of madness to updgrade the Banner’s Talisman of Silence to The Boomstick.
I really liked the extra range of mindfog, but missed being able to focus fire from my individuals on damaged or low nerve enemies (fireball also has shattering, so mindfog can’t help).
The best of both is lightning! Good range plus actual damage.
It has been the the obvious answer all along, to be honest.

Ocloch marched into Mimir’s workshop and dumped the remains of her last complicated invention that didn’t survive the battlefield onto a workbench.
Without a word the banner bearer marched off to the armoury and came back with a rifle.
He gave Mimir a stern look and marched out again.

Deployment:

It’s invade again and, as with the last game, my list is good at invade (perhaps unexpectedly for dwarfs).
I have a lot of US with decent durability, typically more drops than my opponent and can push a load of US up any part of the table.

The plan is not complicated.
Fight through the De 3+ units with my infantry to go score while delaying the titans and monsters on the right.
Using rangers and mastiffs to do the damage and a combination of threats from the brocks and distraction from the sharpshooters to delay.
The shieldbreakers and behemoth take their usual second line role, hopefully getting in the fight and scoring, but shoring up the flank if need be.

A note on the scout moves: not ideal, the rangers are scouting into a defensive position to shoot from before moving. They don’t need cover though, the mindscreetch is on the other side of the table.
I should have avoided the obstacle.

That said, forming habits that are good most of the time is a good thing with this army.
When I get to play this army in person I often struggle with the clock as I don’t play often and this list has a good number of units that need to coordinate well and most of them contribute (i.e. roll dice) almost every turn as they have both ranged and combat capability.

Dwarf Turn 1:

The Fools get first turn!
The ironclad move up as much as they can, I want to fight as close to scoring as possible.
The dwarfs on the left (right flank from the dwarf point of view) get to dealing with the dread fiend; those things have the potential to make trouble.
The dwarfs on the right fire annoying shots while making it dangerous to rush in.

Nightstalker Turn 1:

The nightstalkers move up.
Starting to apply pressure on the right.
The dread fiend doesn’t have a obvious sneaky play, so angles itself so that the brock troop will be hindered if they charge.
The mindscreetch starts a shooting duel with a troop of sharpshooters.

Dwarf Turn 2:

The ironclad move up to the centre line and unleash thier mastiffs.
It feels like a waste to use the mastiffs on scarecrows, but scarecrows are to main target. The scarecrow hordes are both what’s in the way for me scoring and the bulk of the nightstalker US.
Along with the steel behemoth shooting over the infantry and rolling hot, shooting does a lot of damage to the scarecrow hordes.
The middle horde that need a 4 on nerve to rout gets a 3.

The rangers realise that combat is the way to go in this fight and move up too.

The brock troop on the left takes the charge. Hindered is better than no damage before getting charged.
Brocks on the right shuffle a bit. Their job is to deter the titans.
The void lurker moved up too far, so the brock lord goes for GLORY!

The shooting duel continues.

The scarecrows could sense the stilfing aroma of courage and the grating sense of determination from the dwarf line that had crested the hill.
Also, delightfully, the creeping dread of anticipation before the horrors of battle.
As lips were being licked, the dwarfs released something…
Small creatures on four legs, each a beacon of courage, came bounding toward the mass of scarecrows.
Before scythes and sickles swept at the creatures a burst of positive emotion threw the horde off balance.
A strange feeling of… joy. Joy at pleasing another.
A concept, utterly strange and incomprehensible, befuddling to nightstalkers. All that is clear is that these creatures know that they are each “a good boy”.
The onslaught of positive emotion left the scarecrows effectivly defensless to being mauled by these ridiculous creatures.

Nightstalker Turn 2:

The nightstalkers charge!
The scarecrows and tormentors are not expectingto do a lot of damage and roll low.
Which feels bad for my opponent, but they actually do what they need to. The terror does slightly less than 7 damage to De 5+ infantry on average dice, so ironclad can probably take a charge from it, but if ironclad already have 4 or 5 damage then the terror probably routs them (spoilers).

One scarecrow horde gets left behind, with no easy way to get past it’s own lines and the dwarfs.

The dread fiend fails entirely and the brock lords gets a frustrating nerve check (not a double 1, but might as well be). Which is horribly unlucky.

The dream hunter moves up to pose a problem.
It can now charge the brock regiment to hold them up.
It’s too tough to rout in one go and charging it just puts the brocks in charge range of the titans.
The brock regiment is effectively a sitting duck now.
I will opt to make my opponent spend turns charging and distance from where I want to score to come get them.

Dwarf Turn 3:

The Fools get to work and have a good turn.
The two damaged scarecrow hordes are seen of by ironclad counter charges and rangers getting stuck in.
The tormentors in the middle take some damage but are ok.
The tormentors on the right are not so fortunate though, the sharpshooters want none of that near them and all shoot that troop off while the brock lord keeps fighting the void lurker.

The counter charging, but not disordered, brock troop beats the dread fiend and steps out of the terrain.

Nightstalker Turn 3:

An error on my part is revealed.
I carefully positioned the flame priest so that the tormentors could not land and contact them… then proceeded to turn them carelessly for a bane chant that didn’t help and giving the tormentors a charge behind my line. Fortunately Mendeleev holds them off.

The rest of the tormentors and the horror riftweavers charge up the hill and waver the right two ironclad regiments.
The scarecrow horde that got left behind turns to face the dwarfs coming from the left. This will help support the attack, but also means that the horde will stay stuck behind the lines for the rest of the game. The dwarf infantry’s objective is to score or protect units that are scoring, so if the scarecrow horde went to score on the right I would only have a brock troop to stop it.

The void lurker puts down the brock lord while the dream hunter keeps the brock regiment in place.

The mindscreetch picks off a troop of sharpshooters.

Dwarf Turn 4:

The ironclad are all headstrong and clear the tormentors off the hill.
Two reform for a delaying action while one turns to secure an escape (i.e. go score).
All the ironclad have taken enough damage that one charge from the terror probably takes then off.

Steel behemoth is still in the second line so dealing with the tormentors behind the dwarf line falls to them.
The tormentors survive the shooting attack and waver
It is an example of why monsters that can fight and shoot are great to have backing up a line.
That leaves supporting the top flank (it’s slmost that stage of a denied flank game :upside_down_face:) to the shieldbreakers though.

On the left flank; the brock troop endeavours to become relevant, one regiment of rangers goes to spend the rest of the game on the hill where they score and the other rangers charge the portal of despair.
Mostly to hold up the scarecrows behind the portal, but also because not having dread would be nice.

On the right, the brock regiment gets a lucky waver on the dream hunter and the brock troop sneaks past the void lurker (hoping it will chase them).

Nightstalker Turn 4:

The titans get to work, both routing a regiment.
The void lurker with some help from the horror riftweavers.

The dream hunter and portal back up.
The mindscreetch starts targeting the brock troop on the right.
The legion creeps closer to scoring.

Dwarf Turn 5:

Time for desperate delaying actions!
The shieldbreakers rout the riftweavers and stand in the voud lurker’s way (so that the void lurker can’t make any charges after turning to get past them.
It has flying though, so both troops of sharpshooters take hindered rear charges to disorder the titan.
The manage only one damage between them, but that’s enough. In my mind they ran up and shot at it’s wings.

The behemoth needs to turn around, so stomps on that damn tormentor troop and uses the reform to turn around.

Rangers and ironclad close the portal.
The ironclad probably can’t survive a front charge from the terror, so might as well leave thier flank exposed to cover for the rangers (who are also US 3 and less likelyto be threatened by the scarecrows.

The other ironclad get out of the terror’s charge range.
The brock troops try to set up chatge targets for next turn, but are mostly interested in scoring.

Nightstalker Turn 5:

The titans both rout another regiment!
I was hoping for another turn from the shieldbreakers.

The scarecrows also charge. The sharpshooters consider their work done, but the rangers continue to be badass.

Dwarf Turn 6:

This turn is all about protecting unit strength.
Each of the regiments is US 3, the brock troops and behemoth US 1.
The ironclad get out of the void lurker’s charge range, but doing do doesn’t leave room for the brock troop to get out of dodge.
The sharpshooters disorder the void lurker again, but it’s not blocked, just doesn’t have TC to hite the behemoth with.

The steel behemoth charges the terror on the hill!
This sounds like an epic monster vs machine fight, but it’s defense vs defense.
The behemoth is Me 4+, so ensnare is effective and then rolls low for attacks and with those attacks. Deals 1 damage.
The terror is geared toward stomping on infantry, with rampage and only CS (1), it’s not effective against a De 6+ monster.
As it happens; they are both already scoring too.

What the behemoth does achieve is being height 7 on the hill and creating a ranger regiment sized spot that the void lurker doesn’t have LoS to.

The right brock troop stops the lightning and the Boomstick wavers the dream hunter.

Nightstalker Turn 6:

The last sharpshooters stand up to the legion!
The brock troop survives a charge from the void lurker, which feels lucky, but routing -/15 nerve with 10 attacks takes a good roll.
This puts the void lurker in a bad position for turn 7, but there is no turn 7.

The terror does 1 damage back.

The mindscreetch goes to score. I imagine it going woop woop woop as it does.

That means a dwarf victory!

My plan worked and I had a good match up.
My opponent’s list looks experimental (he usually plays Twilight Kin) and based on a game plan that my (kind of unusual) list just didn’t allow.

It also helped that the brock troop dealt with the dread fiend so easily and that the brock lord hung on for an extra turn.
I just barely kept the titans from my scoring units, by giving them each 6 unit strength!

That also means my contribution to Shadowed Horizons is a win for “Good”.

With the portal closed and the attack stalled, the nightstalkers were defeated, but their dread still hung over The Fools.
It felt distant, but still there.
This attack was strategic for nightstalkers, usually they preyed on the vulnerable and had to be hunted and brought to battle. This time they had a target, a military objective.

Something larger must be afoot and that means dwarfs will be fighting.
Those dwarfs will need all the supplies they can get.
The Fool’s Hold got to work making sure they could send as much black powder West as possible.

5 Likes

Great to see another report covering the Fools!

1 Like

Great report (Duncan here with my Varangur). Love the melee chaos that KoW allows. Dwarfs have such cheap and tough US!

1 Like

5→ Thomas Aleksandersen’s Twilight Kin
Scenario: Loot
2300 points

Thomas has been trying out the new Twilight Kin and writing up battle reports on how the new Twilight Kin actually do “on the table”.
Which has been interesting and I enjoyed our last game, so I thought that I would like to see how The Fools do against the new scary stuff, with our new shiny stuff.

I wrote my thoughts on the new Twilight Kin in Thomas’ battle report thread.
My list changes and thoughts on the dwarf changes in CoK 2024 are here.

Lists

Some scary big stuff. The terror and big shield look difficult to deal with.
The mutants look like a significant threat. I can usually deal with a hammer units like that, but this list has other concerns that make coordinating against these mutants more difficult.
There are a load of tricks; all the individuals have tools to be disruptive. While I’m not relying on expensive hammers that can be messed with to do the work; I need my units to coordinate and work together.

In light of the CoK 2024 changes and the new Counter Charge Dwarf army review, I have changed my dwarf list a bit. Dropping bane chant to upgrade the lord on brock to a lord on beast.

There was a dark feeling looming over the hold, almost like when nighstalkers are close, but less hungry and more… malicious.
There were reports of elves capturing villagers and dwarf foresters, which sounds like the Twilight Kin have returned, it had been a long time since the last battle with them, and these were not the same foes.
The Fools met elves that had become part nightstalker on the battlefield; chasing down a few groups of villagers that were trying to escape.

Deployment:

After scout moves.
My intention is to be able to do something about it if the elves try to jump on loot tokens turn 1 and run away.
Which is the worst case for dwarfs in loot.
The brocks and potentially behemoth can charge anything that grabs the left token (dwarf right flank) and the rangers can do similar on the right. Anything that goes for the middle token has a lot of piercing (2) guns aimed at it.

The concern here is that I have split my attack, going for the side tokens and opting to shoot at anything that comes into the centre.
With the graveyard in the middle of my deployment zone it’s the most difficult to threaten, take and hold the centre objective though.

The right token looks like a job for rangers. Involves advancing into terrain and the blocking terrain makes it hard for my opponent to attack effectively on that flank.
I wanted to keep the flame priest away from the assassin and the beast lord is the only non-induvidual inspiring, so the lord on large beast deployed with the rangers.

The terror on that flank is a problem that arose during deployment. My list can’t deal with tough monsters.
Usually I mitiage the damage they do while having more unit strenght, but US doesn’t matter in loot.

Twilight Kin Turn 1:

The Twilight Kin move up. Threatening the token on the right and assuming defensive positions on the left.
The void skiffs put up their bloodhex (De 5+ for a turn)
To mitigate shooting while, out of cover and the only Twilight Kin unit that isn’t stealthy.

The brock troop on the right, that’s supposed to support the rangers takes some shooting damage.
They’re not going to last long, further unravelling my hopes for the right token.

The Twilight Kin hold back in the middle to avoid the organ gun. Which I actually prefer.
With the stealthy auras the organ gun would hit on 6’s.
It’s unlikely to do much, 1 or 2 damage, but is keeping troops off the centre token.

Dwarf Turn 1:

The dwarfs advance cautiously.
Weary of the dangerous units on the left; the impaler horde hits hard and the mutants harder.

Sharpshooters take aim at the phantoms on the hill.
I want them out of the way so that I can coordinate against the impaler horde and thier nerve is low enough that they might get shot off in one turn, but they hold.

Rangers don’t move to shoot better and don’t do very well anyway.
The brock troop charges before it gets shot off, only just breaking the assassin’s gnome glass shield.

The lord on large beast moves so that he can grab the loot if my opponent doesn’t.
Hopefully detered by the rangers in charge range.
Realistically, though, ranger regiments and hindered lord can’t do enough damage to deal with ensnare and regeneration.
They would need two turns with a poor regeneration roll and none of the units being routed by the terror or nearby units.
The terror has good odds or routing a ranger regiment in one go.

Twilight Kin Turn 2:

The Twilight Kin seem very bothered by my shooting.
The phantoms charge sharpshooters.
Dealing no damage on a hindered charge and routing the unit in the open.
The organ gun is denied targets again.

La’theal peeks through the woods and windblasts a regiment of rangers out of the game, dealing 6 damage to boot.
The other rangers are weakened and the assassin fights some brocks.

The terror grabs the loot.
Which means I’m not getting that token.
Not with a unit of rangers out of the count and the brock troop tied up by individuals.

The danger with going for the side tokens is that if something goes wrong with one then the units to help are on the other side of the table.

Dwarf Turn 2:

Heroics ensue!
A troop of sharpshooters rout the phantoms that failed to damage them!
I also start chipping away at the impaler horde and one mastiff gets under the big shields and does half of the 8 damage the impalers end up on.

Shooting at the impaler horde is part of putting pressure on the left flank, I need to get that token and move on to the middle.
Units move up on the left and a brock troop screens them and the loot on the left.

On the right flank the brock troop beats the assassin and the beast lord eyes the middle token (in hindsight, a turn too late).
The organ gun repositions, again, but gets a little too close to the terror…

Twilight Kin Turn 3:

The organ gun becomes a free pivot for the terror, which then traps the beast lord.
The to add insult to injury; the poor ranger regiment (that was covering the organ gun) gets windblasted even further out of the game.
The brock troop on the right succumb to dark magic.

The free phantoms slink behind the sharpshooters.
The fleetwardens on the left challenge the brock troop and do a lot of damage, but the brock troop likes it.

Dwarf Turn 3:

The solution to the phantoms behind my army it simply to keep going!
The brock regiment sidesteps out of charge range and everthing else moves up so thet the phantoms can’t get LoS past the sharpshooters.
The sharpshooters are not in as much trouble as it might appear. They’re in terrain and De 5+, so the triple attacks from the phantoms would be on 5’s and 5’s, doing an average of 4 damage. So probably a waver, 50/50 odds of a rout.
I’m behind on the scenario now, so I need to move to the loot tokens anyway.

For the scenario, the brock troop counter charges and is joined by the steel behemoth snd a regiment of ironclad.
The ironclad make the spacing so that the steel behemoth can grab the loot in the process.
The fleetwardens are crushed.
The ironclad and brocks advance too far and the behemoth turns to the centre.

In the centre the standard bearer takes 4 damage from hex to shoot with the sharpshooters, but the impaler horde holds.

The lord on beast opts to go down swinging.
The windblasted rangers ordered march to get back in the game.

Twilight Kin Turn 4:

Impalers spring into action!
The soulbane and horde engage in the centre, but the ironclad hold.
The regiments grab the centre loot and prepare to screen the left flank.

The phantoms sneak around in my backfield to keep the left ironclad in place.

On the left the ironclad don’t fare as well, getting shredded by mutants.
The navigator tries to tie up the behemoth.
The beat lord meets a tentacled end.
One regiment of rangers holds, but the windblasted regiment wavers.

Dwarf Turn 4:

The behemoth is taller than the navigator’s skiff and twice as long as it’s wide, so pivots and charges the mutants with the brock troop. Crushing them too.

Which makes room for the brock regiment to remove the navigator.

The ironclad don’t achieve much, but the shieldbreakers put 1 damage on the impaler horde and get a rout.
The ironclad that counter charged carefully turn out of the impaler regiment’s arc, which gives the soul bane a rear charge. :upside_down_face:

The phantoms are seem off by my individuals.
The rangers on the right flank waver the void skiffs.

Twilight Kin Turn 5:

The impalers break through the dwarf infantry line as the terror gets involved (leaving the loot to the fleetwardens). Allowing the impalers to get in the way of my attack from the left.
The impalers with loot turn to run away, but turn their big shields away from the dwarf shooting.

The Twilight Kin are in full delay and run away with loot mode.

Dwarf Turn 5:

The steel behemoth keeps stomping and brocks keep munching.
If the rangers were hoping to break through and intercept the loot, but the skiffs held.

With the loot slipping away though, so my best bet is to shoot the impalers with loot and hopefully pick it up or draw.
The shooting isn’t enough.

Twilight Kin Turn 6:

My opponent sets out to neutralise my shooting.
The fleetwardens and void skiffs rout the rangers and turn to be useful in a potential turn 7. It has not been a good game for rangers.
The terror finishes off the shieldbreakers (and regenerates their work) and then backs up the block sharpshooter LoS to the impalers that are running away with the loot.
The cone puts weakness on the right sharpshooters for good measure.

On the left the standard bearer takes one damage from windblast and hex haunts him for a waver.

The soul bane stands in the brock regiment’s way.

Dwarf Turn 6:

I move everything up as far as I can for turn 7.
In so doing my individuals line up to give the terror a potential triple kill, but thst would get it out of the way of the sharpshooters, so fine by me.

My only hope is one shot at the back of the impalers though.
They have cover and stealthily, the sharpshooters are suffering from weakness…
I get one damage through and don’t get the nerve roll.

Turn 7

The void skiffs fly out of the woods to effectively block LoS to the impalers.
The fleetwardens go after the sharpshooters to get out of arcs and range.
The brock troop gets shot off (like I did to the phantoms).

None of my units can attack Twilight Kin loot holders, so I call it there.

Twilight Kin win.

After game thoughts:

As I have already alluded to; when aiming for the two side tokens in loot it’s difficult to help it if something goes wrong on one flank.
In addition to it being hard for dwarfs to help a plan gone wrong at the best of times. Ordered march really helps mitigate that though.
Loot is also a struggle for dwarfs that I am far from figuring out. :sweat_smile:

Vengeance on brock riders feels right. Their damage was a little bit underwhelming before.
Low De enemies like in this game is where they really shine though.

For the list: I think I need hex.
It made a difference against lightning bolt (3) for my opponent and spells have given me a hard time.
La’theal’s windblast was effective this game, as was the crone’s weakness. I also ran into an Alchemist’s Curse mage recently. :smiling_face_with_tear:

I can get hex from the library on my flame priest or a trickster’s wand for the price of Fire Oil and the orb.
Fire oil has never come into effect, but the Orb of Towering Presence seems like it might swing a game.

The question is which.
Putting the Trickster’s Wand on the lord of large beast gives great LoS from H4, but can be turned off by another Trickster’s Wand and he may have better things to do.
The flame priest is H2, but is in the list to inspire and cast spells.

So you don’t have to scroll up, my thoughs on the new Twilight Kin is here.

Mendeleev grumbled at the fel magic the Twilight Kin were using. It bodes ill. As does the word of a spell called Alchemist’s Curse.
He has always favoured the “flame” part of his profession over the "priest"part, but it seems that it’s rime to dust off his books and see if Fulgria can help him counter some of this magic.

6 Likes

Great report. It’s really interesting to read full reports on the same battle from both generals. It was a hard-fought battle, but as so often with Loot, it felt like the Dwarfs were playing catch-up from early on, and the Twilight Kin were canny in protecting the tokens once they held them. My tuppence worth on who to give the hex to is that the benefits of having it on a H4 nimble hero with a bit of movement outweigh the costs. It’s too easy for the opponent to get their infantry casters out of LoS of a Sp4 infantry hero.

2 Likes

It is indeed a challenge for dwarfs. Not helped by a poor plan.

The important take away is that it’s not because Twilight Kin are over powered.

Hex on a nimble H4 hero sounds great my worry is that that hero is also a 175 unit that has another role.

In a recent game, that I’m busy writing up, hex on a h2 induvidual wasn’t much help indeed.
My opponent’s list gave me a great in between though.
The Ej Periscope!

2 Likes

6→ Cyle Pool’s Goblins
Scenario: Hold the Line
2300 points

After my last report I got a challenge from the Dinolord himself, Cyle Pool.
Cyle brought his more for fun than Master’s goblins, for a more traditional match up.

Mimir hummed to herself as she checked the barrels of the new field organ gun, there was no saving the last one after a terror stomped on it.
She shuddered at the thought of the titan from the void, then pushed it out of her mind. There was a different battle today. Goblins. It’s almost a comfort.
Goblins are dangerous, wicked and cruel. Certainly not to be underestimated.
They march to war and bleed on the battlefield though. An enemy of old that a dwarf knows well. The age old battle between reckless contraptions and orderly engineering.

No apearing from the void, no dread in the air, no shifting shadows nor creeping into dreams.
Mimir knew it was only a matter of time before that would happen again.
While The Fools had offered resistance and saved some, the Twilight Kin had gotten away with captives and loot after their last encounter. They will be back for more.
The fear and sorrow that the Twilight Kin left in the wake of their raid will also attract nightstalkers to the area.

The Fools have to save their strength.
The orders were to give the goblins a bloody nose to “encourage” then to find easier pickings. Target the actual goblins and don’t lose dwarfs trying to bring giants down. Hopefully that would see the goblins move on.

Lists:

The same number of drops as my list, but my dwarfs have a slight edge in US.
There are a lot of extra attacks going around.
Rampage and slayer as well as the bangstiks on Me 4+ will make for swingy combat results.
The Sp 10 fleabags and 14" charge on the goblin titans means that I’ll be taking the charges doing swingy damage.

The wiz with Alchemist’s Curse and Hex with the periscope is a nice idea.

The usual list, but with artefacts switched out to get hex on the flame priest. The wiz gives me an opportunity to try it out.

Deployment:

My centre with all its US goes in the middle where the points are.
The field on the right looks like a good place for sharpshooters with nice LoS and hindering charges.
Which leaves the left for brocks and rangers.
The downside is that there isn’t enough of the field in my deployment zone to give cover (same goes for the pond) and the blocking terrain in my deployment zone splits by attacking units.

The rangers scout up aggressively, do that they are close enough to the woods on the left to deal with anything trying to come through.

Goblin Turn 1:

The goblins get going right away. Everything moves up and shooting sees two units gone.
A troop of sharpshooters and the left brock troop (dwarf right flank).

The rangers have over extended. One regiment gets blocked up by the bangstik king and the other’s flank gets threatened by a giant. Neither can back out of the threats.

Dwarf Turn 1:

The dwarfs have to respond in kind and go for it too.
The rangers can’t back out of the flank threat, so choose to get flanked by hinderd rabble instead of a giant and keep the slasher busy.
The other rangers waver the leading bangstik.

The brock regiment moves up to be a threat and the lord on large beast moves to stop the brocks getting double charged by bangstiks. They should be able to take a vharge from one and get some vengeance.

I send all my mastiffs to chew up the rabble in the centre, putting on 8 damage, so that my ironclad can see it off later.

Return fire sees off a sharpstick thrower.
The brock troop on the right goes in to block things up but don’t get the waver I was hoping for.

Goblin Turn 2:

The nimble king on chariot can charge the brocks with a regiment of bangstiks and the blow right through them.
The other bangsticks pick a fight with the lord on large beast and put more damage on than I would like.

The slasher and rabble waver the rangers keeping them busy, do will be busy for another turn.

The goblin centre backs away from the hill.

On the right; the nimble fleabags disengage by sliding 5" (the width of thier base) to the left and pivoting 90°, which ends more than 1" away. This makes room for the rampage giant and Magwa to make short work of them.

Another troop of sharpshooters gets shot off.

The brock riders understood their orders.
They had seen the horrors from The Void and agreed that their strength was needed to fight that enemy.
The red rage, however, is not something that can be reasoned with. When the arrows and sharpsticks began to fly, the beserkers knew they could not stand on a battlefield and not fight.
When the fleabags were upon them, some lost themselves to rage and old grudges against greenskins and ran off after goblins. Either meeting their end from a bang or chasing a more cowardly goblin from the field.
Others, especially those whose grudge lay with nightstalker or the elves who embraced The Void, quit the field to bring their strenght anothet day.

Dwarf Turn 2:

The dwarf centre pushes up, it needs to deal with what’s in front of it before the flank threats arrive.

On the left the lord on large beast gets a waver on the bangstiks while the rangers see off the bangstik leader and reform to face the threat comming around their flank.

Countershooting is not as effective as goblin shooting, but a sharpstick thrower is wavered.
The organ gun picks off the sneaky fleabags.

Goblin Turn 3:

The nimble goblins on the left easily avoid the rangers to start threatening the dwarf line in the centre.

The centre engages, but the dwarfs hold.
The wiz gets to work on the steel behemoth with Alchemist’s Curse.

The right flank and woods get cleared out.

Dwarf Turn 3:

In the centre the ironclad charge the mastiff mangled rabble, but the goblins show insane courage.
The left most ironclad hold position. They probably can’t take another front charge from the giant alone, so getting flanked is overkill that keeps an enemy unit busy.

The steel behemoth moves so that the building covers its flank and starts burning goblins, aiming at the rabble horde.
The flame priest puts a hex on the wiz!
Rangers dodge bangstiks while the lord on large beast routs the other bangstick.

The banner with boomstick picks off the damaged sharpstick thrower.

Goblin Turn 4:

The goblin wiz continues with Alchemist’s Curse despite hex, but only takes 2 damage.

The bangstiks get the message of overkill and go big on the ironclad’s flank. All those atracks include 9 rolls of 6, which puts 9 damage on themselves!
Their reform gets the steel behemoth stuck.

The king on chariot angles for a better position while shooting the shieldbreakers with help from the winggit.

The slasher rampages through the remaining rangers and turns to face the dwarf lord on large beast.

Rangers have kept the slasher busy as long as they can.
The sharpshooters have already signaled their withdrawal, so it is time to move move onto the next task is signalled.
The rangers quit the field to go secure or evacuate as many of the surrounding villagers and their supplies as possible. While the goblins are busy.

Dwarf Turn 4:

The ironclad rout the rabble in the middle and turn to face the oncoming giant.
The shieldbreakers hold up the king on chariot.

The steel behemoth and flame priest burn some more goblins and both get a waver.
Which is great for the horde, but less than expected for against the damaged bangstiks.
It also makes the standard bearer’s move not worth it, moving short to get a shot in, but therefore in range to get charged.

The lord on large beast charges the slasher and does 2 damage. Which puts an end to any hope I had of scoring on that flank.

The great brock snarled, but its rider calmed it.
He had earned the honour to ride as Norgrunn did and seeking glory was so tempting…
Those were not his orders though.
He had to keep the slasher busy so that as many dwarfs as possible, including himself, could make it back to the Fool’s Hold.

This is where really feel that luck is against me this game.
Cyle is blowing through my units and I’m getting wavers.
More on that later though.

Goblin Turn 5

Coffin nails are hammered in. Jo’os eats the standard bearer and the ironclad need the inspiring.

The lord on large beast holds his ground though.

Dwarf Turn 5:

The bangstiks and rabble horde are shot off!
The lord on large beast does minimal damage again.

Turn 6

The goblins clean up.
With one wavered dwarf left we call it there.

*With most of the goblins themselves fleeing and the giants approaching the retreat is called, as are the orders. *
Mendeleev and the steel behemoth linger to punish more goblins with flame, but stay too long.
The steel behemoth crew find themselves unable to manoeuvre out! With limited space and damage from the wicked goblin magic, the crew are forced to abandon the mighty machine.
Surely Mimir has the knowledge and parts to build a new one, right?

The goblins appear to have plans for it…
Their delight at their prize distracts them for just long enough to let Mendeleev escape.

After game thoughts:

That did not go well.
As alluded to above, it’s hard not to feel unlucky.
My dwarfs got smashed when I, not unreasonably, expected at least some units to hold.
While I didn’t get the swing of luck that I needed.

In my experience, though, that kind of feeling makes something feel worse than it is.
I didn’t get the lucky break I needed, but I was in a position where i needed a lucky break.
I didn’t have much of a plan and my own deployment got me stuck with my centre and right flank unable to support each other.
A bit of luck might have seen more dwarfs left at the end, but I doubt they would have been in a winning position.

Cyle didn’t only roll well to blow through units, he also showed that he’s a much better player than I am.
With a few subtle moves and masterful use of nimble units.

I’m not playing like a dwarf. I’ll be kind to myself and chalk it up to being rusty.
I definitely should have given my battle plan a bit more thought. Sharpshooters are great, but don’t do enough damage to base my battle plan on their firing lanes

I’m thinking in terms of attack vectors, which is the norm for me, but not how dwarfs work in KoW.

Looking at the last two games, I’m expecting too much from my rangers again. They’re great versatile units, but not a spear point in an army that doesn’t work that way to begin with.

On to my list:
Hex didn’t do much. A goblin wiz is less valuable than a steel behemoth, so doesn’t care about taking damage to cast Alchemist’s Curse on it.
I also didn’t have LoS very often, so definitely need a boost in height for it.
The lord on large beast was out on the flank and in combat most of the game, so would not have done much better.

Cyle’s list has the solution though, the Ej Periscope.
The problem that creates is that to take it I have to drop the Inspiring Talisman.
Which brings me to the organ gun.
It’s in the list to add damage, but has been mostly avoided for two games and I’m having trouble finding shooting lanes already.
For 5 points (saved from the Inspiring Talisman) I can get inspiring and more mobile shooting in the form of a warsmith.
With the new longer range their shooting attack can add damage as well as making sharpshooters or the steel behemoth elite.

Which leaves enough point to give the lord on large beast the Ord of Towering Presence.
Which could have come in handy this game.

3 Likes

Despite the result Cyle and I had a great time playing this game.

It really helps to have an army with narritive that I love even when it loses!

We’re planning to continue the narritive, when time allows.
It’ll be a deviation from the topic here, which is tracking how my list evolves along with a bit of narrative; so further reports will be in a new thread featuring a new character I have in mind.

2 Likes

It has taken me far too long to get to these. These were fun reports to get through, even with the outcomes. It is always nice to see how the Fools are doing!

In Round 3 against the TK you have nerves of steel. I don’t think I would have figured out the LOS blocks to mitigate the Phantoms in my back line. Well done there. The new Twilight Kin definitely seem like a very interesting army. Lots of things to consider with all their “unit-facing-matters” rules!

Then, even just list-wise it seemed like it was going to be quite the match-up against the Goblins! Dwarfs of quality vs Goblins of quantity! Actually pretty even on drops and unit strength, but they really filled up their side of the table with the hordes and toys.

I also played a bit of a disastrous Hold the Line game recently, which also had some complications from my own scouting moves. For Scouting, personally I need to plan that move out better, and then pair those units with speedier units, so the Scouts can get quick support no matter who gets to go first. And my personal takeaway for the scenario was that since I couldn’t grind or heal, I needed to play more of a refused flank for it next time. I am wondering if that might be something to consider in the future with your more elite, regimental list?

The building near the center is a godsend for the Ironclad given the scenario. Some Brock Riders could still be put on the left of the screen to pressure or delay there, maybe even with the Organ Gun as a speed bump there too. But the Rangers look like they could have made it into the woods on the right with their scout move, and likely could have avoided a turn 1 charge from the Giant with some careful measuring. My usual opponent is always sticking his shooters in the woods, and they can be hard to dislodge, so that is something I am looking for nowadays with scouting and positioning.

List-wise, I don’t mind the Organ Gun. It can pair well with a mastiff barrage, or with protecting the Sharpshooters, but overall, the rest of your army is pretty fighty and aggressive. The Gun getting Secured Position is a cool buff as well, but dropping it to explore other options is probably a good call. How have you been liking the Shieldbreakers and their new CS2?

1 Like